DRC: UNT-UNLV gameday -- Aune has UNT's big-play production soaring, ranks in top 10 nationally in passing TDs, yards per completion

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I guess you have to admire the effort to continue to make Austin look like one of the top quarterbacks in the land.

Very impressive effort by Vito. Especially, when he gives Aune credit for "leading" UNT on the 5 game win streak last year. When in reality, the main reason we went on the streak is because we took the ball out of Aune's hands. 

And no, Brett. His competition percentage isn't low because we take a lot of shots down field. It's because he misses 3 or 4 WIDE OPEN targets a game. He is what he is and that's an inconsistent G5 QB. He'd be great to have as your backup, but if you're depending on him as a starter then your passing game is going to struggle. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

This can be a brutal forum on various themes, but one only has to look back thru the years to see the gauntlet Mean Green faithful fans have had to run. 
Our HS coaches preferred the bull ring over a straight line gauntlet.  “CIRCLE UP, BOYS!” 😳
Pleasant memories, eh? 

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

It’s honestly an art to continually try painting such a rosy picture of Aune as QB, while completely neglecting the strength of opponents he was putting up his stats on and totally neglecting that absolute stink fest against SMU where he was actually replaced by another QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I, for one, think it is the team head coach and beat writer’s jobs to actually slander the starting quarterback and tell us all how he sucks and I’m appalled when they don’t do just that.

I mean, perhaps there's some area between "slandering" a QB and providing objective analysis of their play?

Statistically, I think it's fair to point out things like 20+ yard plays, but I don't think you should ignore the completion percentage. I think it's strange to point out total TDs compared to other QBs, when only 5 or 6 of the top 40 have played 3 games so far. And, when you have a low completion percentage, as Aune regularly does, your yards per completion goes up. That's why for efficiency metrics, most people use Y/A as an overall. Don't use it WITH the completion percentage, because then you're basically double-counting incompletions. But pick your poison. We have total QBR as well. 

For instance, I believe Aune's YPA is over 8 this year, which isn't spectacular, but it's a ways up from last year's 6.7. Simplified, sure, but a fairly significant improvement.

There's simply not much context here. I actually think it would be interesting to go through the increased big play production compared to last year, but we need to talk about the passing game specifically. Like crediting Aune for Adeyi's 59-yd run is kinda silly, when we've been getting 3-4 passing plays of 20+ yards per game.

I'm not a big Aune fan. I don't think there's been much development in him for someone getting a ton of reps and a good bit of game time over 3 years, but I was looking forward to some actual analysis of the big play difference, and that argument wasn't even attempted. It's especially screwy given the headline.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

I mean, perhaps there's some area between "slandering" a QB and providing objective analysis of their play?

Statistically, I think it's fair to point out things like 20+ yard plays, but I don't think you should ignore the completion percentage. I think it's strange to point out total TDs compared to other QBs, when only 5 or 6 of the top 40 have played 3 games so far. And, when you have a low completion percentage, as Aune regularly does, your yards per completion goes up. That's why for efficiency metrics, most people use Y/A as an overall. Don't use it WITH the completion percentage, because then you're basically double-counting incompletions. But pick your poison. We have total QBR as well. 

For instance, I believe Aune's YPA is over 8 this year, which isn't spectacular, but it's a ways up from last year's 6.7. Simplified, sure, but a fairly significant improvement.

There's simply not much context here. I actually think it would be interesting to go through the increased big play production compared to last year, but we need to talk about the passing game specifically. Like crediting Aune for Adeyi's 59-yd run is kinda silly, when we've been getting 3-4 passing plays of 20+ yards per game.

I'm not a big Aune fan. I don't think there's been much development in him for someone getting a ton of reps and a good bit of game time over 3 years, but I was looking forward to some actual analysis of the big play difference, and that argument wasn't even attempted. It's especially screwy given the headline.

Sure, we could have a nuanced conversation about an inconsistent QB but we’re talking about Brett Vito and Seth Littrell here. Vito is the beat writer, not a Pro Football Focus analyst giving us his in-depth film analysis and grade on Aune’s play. He’s reporting factual statistics and where they rank, as well as giving us quotes. That’s what reporters do. It’s not an opinion piece.

That’s why I’m poking fun of people’s reactions to it. I’m not saying people are wrong to dig deeper on face-value stats. I’m implying their reactions are silly in implying this is some propaganda piece just because a 3rd-party beat writer is factually reporting where a QB’s statistics rank and the QB’s own head coach is being complimentary of his player.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Let’s compare Brett’s fluff job to this:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/University-of-Houston-Texas-Tech-overtime-big-17437022.php

One slights the fans at all times in a patronizing way and is a fluff job towards the current coach in a “the current coach and QB are better than most have ever been here”,

While one just reports the facts, quotes, and doesn’t slide snarky opinions into their articles or belittle the fans.

Can’t read the Duarte article, but the reporting of facts (statistics) and quotes (from Littrell) are the very thing Vito is doing in this article that people are taking issue with.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Can’t read the Duarte article, but the reporting of facts (statistics) and quotes (from Littrell) are the very thing Vito is doing in this article that people are taking issue with.

And posting that these facts are misleading is called "slandering" by you. Got it.

Also, the headline says Aune has our big play production SOARING. TDs don't mean big plays. 

As I and others have pointed out, the facts that Brett have posted lack any sort of context. He could've posted efficiency or YPA and made a salient point, without really going deeper into things. He could've posted the 20+ yard passing plays vs last year. It really wouldn't take THAT much time, and I assume Brett gets paid for his work.

Instead he posted a counting stat for a QB with 50% more games played than most and Yards Per Completion. Then he gives credit to Aune for one of our RBs big running TDs, because, what, he has such a good handoff?

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Confused 4
  • Eye Roll 1

We all mostly speculate what’s going on in the minds of our UNT athletic personnel & community.

For instance, soon after SL turned down a Big 12 job to stay in Denton I noticed a marked change in his attitude, his sideline demeanor (or countenance) & that looking like he knew he had made a mistake by not taking the Big 12 job. I know I mentioned this to 1 or 2 of you 3 years ago.    
Then Dr. SoothSayer here started to believe SL went into a funk (or depression) that not even the building of the 3’rd largest Indoor Practice Facility in Texas could get him out of. I was thinking all the time:  Please! Not this now when conferences & the NCAA were fixen’ to go thru changes & our having a consistent winning football program would be vital, but then I thought—“WTH! This is North Texas—why the hell expect any different?”  Our timing has rarely been perfect, but good timing is now way over-due up there. I’m 71. That’s all I’m going to say other than how did 71 get here so damn fast? 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

And posting that these facts are misleading is called "slandering" by you. Got it.

You clearly do not “got it” if you think I have classified anyone calling the article misleading in here as “slandering.” But that’s par for the course when it comes to your misinterpretation of posts.

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

Also, the headline says Aune has our big play production SOARING. TDs don't mean big plays. 

As I and others have pointed out, the facts that Brett have posted lack any sort of context. He could've posted efficiency or YPA and made a salient point, without really going deeper into things. He could've posted the 20+ yard passing plays vs last year. It really wouldn't take THAT much time, and I assume Brett gets paid for his work.

Instead he posted a counting stat for a QB with 50% more games played than most and Yards Per Completion. Then he gives credit to Aune for one of our RBs big running TDs, because, what, he has such a good handoff?

Again, this time as clear as I can be, what I am poking fun of:

People acting like it’s some ridiculous article just because Vito didn’t “well actually” the stats that he pulled and asked questions regarding.

What I am not poking fun at:

The idea itself that there’s more to the surface level stats (which I agree with).

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

He has to find things to write constantly. Looking up national stats and seeing if we have someone in there is just one way to do that. You guys have so much disdain for this head coach and the starting quarterback that you’ve come to personalize Vito’s attempt to find content.

• Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

He has to find things to write constantly. Looking up national stats and seeing if we have someone in there is just one way to do that. You guys have so much disdain for this head coach and the starting quarterback that you’ve come to personalize Vito’s attempt to find content.

You’re not wrong with this take. It’s just Vito’s articles haven’t matched the sentiment of a frustrated fan base.

Figuratively putting lipstick on the pig of Aune’s stats might feel disingenuous to some considering the above.

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

I think after Vito lost the parking pass he won’t play hardball with the AD anymore. 😂

anymore? This has always been Vito.

I’m with @Cr1028. In a way, Vito gets a ton of ire from a fan base that is just sick and tired of sucking, and then gets reminded over and over how much we have sucked.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

It’s like the cowboys bragging about having the number one offense last year. 

It's more like releasing an article about how a a chimpanzee community has taken over Ft Worth, and then showing the chimpanzees at the Ft Worth Zoo. Yes, there are chimpanzees in Ft Worth, but one thing doesn't mean the other.

So I have to believe that:

1) Brett is trolling, and deserves ridicule for such

OR

2) Brett doesn't understand basic football statistics and is thus bad at his job

OR

3) Brett is lazy

I think people assuming he's trolling is probably the most flattering conclusion.

It's just a bad article. Has nothing to do with how I feel about the team. I've already pointed out how it COULD have been a good article, but that would've taken like 15 minutes of research, which is apparently too much to expect from a beat reporter, or somehow means slandering or "well, actually"... which isn't really that at all.

Again, the expectation isn't that Vito has to talk BAD about anybody. it's simply that if he's got a premise stated in an article headline, the article should actually put some effort into demonstrating that premise.

The idea that nobody can criticize a Brett Vito article that he's posted a link to on this site without it meaning something else is pretty silly.

• Upvote 1