Mean Green Baseball Project

Clinetort

2 minutes ago, Doug Rush said:

My name is Doug Rush and I am president of the group trying to bring back baseball to U.N.T.  We are hoping to find the funds from ex players, baseball people in the D.F.W. area, and beyond to fund baseball and bring it back in the next 3 years or so as opposed to the "20 year plan".  We would love to have any support you can give us.  

We will be having several events in the next few months leading off with being part of the Homecoming Tailgate.  We will have a web page up soon and are looking at several avenues to raise awareness and funds.  And to hopefully put some pressure on the university to add baseball in what is one of the top baseball talent hot beds in the nation.  

Doug I admire your passion. Question, does your initiative address how the University will fund the Title 9 additions that could be required?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

El Paso Eagle.  We are addressing Title 9.  We are for adding Women's Volleyball and attaching that complex to the baseball stadium along with also making the stadium a venue for concerts since Denton has such a vibrant music scene.  A 1,500 seat stadium with berms on each side for grass seating for students, etc. would be perfect for games and concerts. The sand volleyball courts can be down the right or left field line and could be used during games for a "minor league feel".   Also, we would be more than willing to have that stadium be used for an additional growing women's sport-- college flag football (or Lacrosse).   So, we are keeping all this in mind when we approach people.  In addition a stadium that could also house concerts, etc. might be a venue the City of Denton could be involved with financing also?

I do admit I do not quite understand when we already have 10 women's sports and only 6 men's sports that we need to add two more women's sports like I have been told?  Baseball is only 11.7 scholarships if fully funded and I need an explanation of how that would require us to go up to 12 women's sports and only 7 for men. BUT, we do have ideas for adding women's sports too.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, Doug Rush said:

El Paso Eagle.  We are addressing Title 9.  We are for adding Women's Volleyball and attaching that complex to the baseball stadium along with also making the stadium a venue for concerts since Denton has such a vibrant music scene.  A 1,500 seat stadium with berms on each side for grass seating for students, etc. would be perfect for games and concerts. The sand volleyball courts can be down the right or left field line and could be used during games for a "minor league feel".   Also, we would be more than willing to have that stadium be used for an additional growing women's sport-- college flag football (or Lacrosse).   So, we are keeping all this in mind when we approach people.  In addition a stadium that could also house concerts, etc. might be a venue the City of Denton could be involved with financing also?

I do admit I do not quite understand when we already have 10 women's sports and only 6 men's sports that we need to add two more women's sports like I have been told?  Baseball is only 11.7 scholarships if fully funded and I need an explanation of how that would require us to go up to 12 women's sports and only 7 for men. BUT, we do have ideas for adding women's sports too.  

Thank you, Doug. 

• Upvote 2

I like the idea, just want to make sure it is done right and not hastily. 

TBH I wish we brought back our men's soccer team- apparently they used to be really good! (and coach by Hedlund...)

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, Doug Rush said:

Football has 85 scholarships by itself.  The extra women's sports help offset this number.  It is the number of scholarships offered not sports offered.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

MGNation92.  I would love to see football get right.  We have been trying for a long, long, long, long time. I would also like to see your numbers on it being a revenue generator in regards to expenses.  And I mean every expense.  Coaches salaries, cost of scholarships.  Cost to maintain stadium.  Band and Cheer and Dance Team travel to away games. Equipment.  Food.   Every single expense that has to do with football and then all the revenue.  Is it a money generator at U.N.T.?  I don't know. I think 35 years has been long enough to wait on football to get right at the expense of baseball.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a big proponent of bringing baseball to UNT. I think we would be competitive fairly quickly. The amount of baseball talent in the area is insane. 

The AD has said that it will take several million dollars to get a program up and running. I notice you have a goal of $50k.

Not being difficult but what exactly does $50k accomplish?

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Doug Rush said:

YES to baseball.  I don't believe Title 9 is any issue.  You need to have a sit-down talk with Wren about the numbers.  NT is majority female campus like 53-47%.   Far more than other CUSA schools that already have baseball and fewer women's sports than we do.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

YES to baseball.  I don't believe Title 9 is any issue.  You need to have a sit-down talk with Wren about the numbers.  NT is majority female campus like 53-47%.   Far more than other CUSA schools that already have baseball and fewer women's sports than we do.

During Harry's interview with Wren he said women's teams would have to be added if we added Baseball

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TheColonyEagle,  The 50k is our initial goal to have money so we can do things to generate a ton of support and a lot more money.  Honestly, we know it will take many, many millions to get baseball back.  Our goal is to raise an army of supporters who are willing to nickel and dime the project and help us get baseball back.  And then we will secure pledges from wealthy donors that the money will be given ONLY when baseball is promised and that the funds will not be used for anything else.  We have some people in mind who are willing to make those bigger pledges and have been contacted by some people.  And there are more out there.  We do not intend to ask a person with those kinds of funds to contribute a bunch of real money until we know it is going to happen. But, we do want to get a lot of supporters and several hundred thousand dollars in real funds to begin.  Along with a lot of pledges.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I’m a big proponent of bringing baseball to UNT. I think we would be competitive fairly quickly. The amount of baseball talent in the area is insane. 

The AD has said that it will take several million dollars to get a program up and running. I notice you have a goal of $50k.

Probably acts as a proof of concept to show the fanbase is interested in bringing baseball back. 

My understanding is baseball is very expensive - the scholarships are only one piece - so the funding would likely have to come from student fees. 

I love college baseball so I’m all for it - and I’ll bet students could be brought on board if it accompanies the extra-curricular campus activities mentioned above. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Great question.  The 50,000 is the first goal of our capital campaign. We hope to accomplish this first step by the beginning of the year.  This will allow us to to generate media, and grow our army of supporters.  As Doug addressed, we understand the long term realities of adding additional sports and the cost associated.  We are not unrealistic about the financial obstacles that face this project.  One foot in front of the other until the goal is accomplished.  

8 minutes ago, Doug Rush said:

TheColonyEagle,  The 50k is our initial goal to have money so we can do things to generate a ton of support and a lot more money.  Honestly, we know it will take many, many millions to get baseball back.  Our goal is to raise an army of supporters who are willing to nickel and dime the project and help us get baseball back.  And then we will secure pledges from wealthy donors that the money will be given ONLY when baseball is promised and that the funds will not be used for anything else.  We have some people in mind who are willing to make those bigger pledges and have been contacted by some people.  And there are more out there.  We do not intend to ask a person with those kinds of funds to contribute a bunch of real money until we know it is going to happen. But, we do want to get a lot of supporters and several hundred thousand dollars in real funds to begin.  Along with a lot of pledges.  

Fight the good fight man! 

• Upvote 1

So, in 2020, last year I could find fiscal numbers for us, our AD made $167k in profits, but also received a good chunk from the school. I know that we will get a higher payout from the AAC--it looks like it projects about $7 million per school, but I also know we have to pay an initial fee to the AAC when we join. I guess my point is that if we have an extra $5 million per year, is that enough to satisfy a baseball program and two other women's sports to satisfy Title IX? Maybe it does, but I don't know what a typical baseball program costs to maintain and coach.

• Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So is the football talent. The argument that UNT would immediately be a baseball power is extremely optimistic and misleading, IMO. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

I like the idea, just want to make sure it is done right and not hastily. 

TBH I wish we brought back our men's soccer team- apparently they used to be really good! (and coach by Hedlund...)

If you look at the trajectory of each sport it probably makes more sense to add men's soccer. Soccer continues to grow in popularity, especially with college aged people, while baseball continues to be stagnant. And I imagine soccer would be way cheaper. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

9 minutes ago, Pellom said:

My understanding is baseball is very expensive - the scholarships are only one piece - so the funding would likely have to come from student fees. 

So, how much did it cost to bring about women's softball? How is it that men's baseball is so much more expensive?  

Right now, I would much rather watch a women's softball game than a men's baseball game. Men's baseball is sooo slow. The women don't waste time. They get with it.

57 minutes ago, Doug Rush said:

MGNation92.  I would love to see football get right.  We have been trying for a long, long, long, long time. I would also like to see your numbers on it being a revenue generator in regards to expenses.  And I mean every expense.  Coaches salaries, cost of scholarships.  Cost to maintain stadium.  Band and Cheer and Dance Team travel to away games. Equipment.  Food.   Every single expense that has to do with football and then all the revenue.  Is it a money generator at U.N.T.?  I don't know. I think 35 years has been long enough to wait on football to get right at the expense of baseball.  

https://meangreensports.com/documents/2022/1/24/2021_NCAA_Financial_Report.pdf?id=5356

Here you go. Football generates more revenue than every other sport. Expenses are also included

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1