Scott Frost's former teammates, others in hometown of Wood River react to firing

cousin oliver

“It’s a tough deal. I feel really bad for him and his family,” said Eric Nielsen, who played left guard on the Eagle team Frost quarterbacked. “A few years ago when he was hired, I was pretty sure things were going to work out. I thought Scott would wind up retiring from this job.”

“Mostly what I feel bad about is it just didn’t work at Nebraska. I know he poured his heart and soul into the program,” said another former teammate, Matt Gideon.

Frost “sort of gave a lot up at that time of his career to come here and to try to make this work. And there’s no doubt in my mind that he did everything he could. Unfortunately it didn’t fit. I don’t know why. That’s probably the thing that hurts the most for me,” said Gideon, one of Frost’s wide receivers at Wood River.

“From the outside looking in, I just can’t figure out why it wasn’t a fit and why we couldn’t turn things around and win six ballgames a year, or eight,” Gideon said. “That’ll just be something I’ll always scratch my head about. It is what it is. Scott’ll always be a Husker, and I appreciate him for who he is.”

Jim Skeen shot video of every game Frost played at Wood River, and every game his late father, Larry, coached in Skeen’s hometown.

When Frost was fired on Sunday, Skeen was stunned.

Nielsen is confident that Frost will rebound.

“The thing is with Scott, Scott’s very smart. He’s going to wind up landing on his feet. He’ll be either an offensive coordinator at a major school again or he’ll be a head coach at a lower level for a while. I honestly, truly believe that he’ll wind up as a head coach in Power 5 in the next 10 years,” Nielsen said.

Read more:  https://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/scott-frosts-former-teammates-others-in-hometown-of-wood-river-react-to-firing/article_dacc2d10-254c-5ee3-8a5e-40fb5d864d4c.html

• Downvote 5

Nebraska's main reason for moving to the Big10 was to align their University's academics with a conference full of AAU (Associations of American Universities) schools. It fact it caused some issues at the time since after they were accepted, and before they officially joined, Nebraska lost it's AAU accreditation. There was consideration to withdraw the invite.

Edited by El Paso Eagle