Graham Harrell and Neal Brown may soon be available

Tom McKrackin

In April of 2021, WVU athletic director Shane Lyons announced a two-year contract extension for head football coach Neal Brown, running through the 2026 season. At the time, it felt as if the program was on its way up as Brown led the team to a 6-4 record in a COVID-shortened season. The Mountaineers won the AutoZone Liberty Bowl against Army and also went undefeated at home that season.

Since the extension, Brown has a 6-9 record which now includes an embarrassing home loss to Kansas - the perennial doormat of the Big 12. With an 0-2 record to start the season, the Mountaineers are going to have to go on a miraculous run to just become bowl eligible in year four under Brown. This week's matchup against Towson is the only guaranteed win left on the schedule, which doesn't bode well for the head coach.

Link:  https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/football/neal-browns-contract-buyout

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, helix said:

Would I be to greedy to ask for the QB too? I betcha he is mighty fine.

I watched their first game vs Pitt and I think we can do better. Stage got big at the end and the winning TD was a pick-6 he threw on what could have been a final game winning drive. Didn't watch the Kansas game, though. Plus he's transfered twice already so I believe he's going to finish at WVU.

Fun fact, WVU and Pitt both started former USC quarterbacks. Pitt QB Slovis started for USC in 2020 against Grant Gunnell quarterbacked Arizona. Gunnell threw for 286 yards with a 67% completion percentage on 36 passes, 3 TDs and 1 Interception that game but USC got the game winning TD with 25 seconds left. Not like we don't have a talented former Pac 12 QB on our roster...

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

If you're on-board with Brown, but against Fuente, you're only basing your opinion on the 2017 New Orleans Bowl.
Their credentials are nearly identical, except that Fuente was more successful at VATech than Brown has been at WVU.

If you want Harrell to be the Head Coach here, you're just pining for the good old days and not thinking clearly.   If he came back to be an OC, I wouldn't mind that though.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you're on-board with Brown, but against Fuente, you're only basing your opinion on the 2017 New Orleans Bowl.
Their credentials are nearly identical, except that Fuente was more successful at VATech than Brown has been at WVU.

If you want Harrell to be the Head Coach here, you're just pining for the good old days and not thinking clearly.   If he came back to be an OC, I wouldn't mind that though.

Yeah you bring up a good name in Fuente that I personally had forgotten about. The fact he got it done at Memphis, in the conference we're joining, gives him bonus points for me. Brown gets bonus points if he can bring Harrell as his OC. A familiar face to guide him through Denton and who's already recruited here would be great.