Murphy Brothers Update

Coach Andy Mac

• Ten players registered their first starts as Bruins against BGSU: WR Titus Mokiao-Atimalala, WR Jake Bobo, OT Raiqwon O'Neal, DB Devin Kirkwood, LB Grayson Murphy, LB Gabriel Murphy, LB Kain Medrano, DB Azizi Hearn, LB Darius Muasau and DL Jay Toia ... Mokiao-Atimalala, Bobo, O'Neal, Grayson Murphy, Gabriel Murphy, Hearn and Muasau made their UCLA debuts. TE Hudson Habermehl made his first start against Alabama State.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 5

2 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

• Ten players registered their first starts as Bruins against BGSU: WR Titus Mokiao-Atimalala, WR Jake Bobo, OT Raiqwon O'Neal, DB Devin Kirkwood, LB Grayson Murphy, LB Gabriel Murphy, LB Kain Medrano, DB Azizi Hearn, LB Darius Muasau and DL Jay Toia ... Mokiao-Atimalala, Bobo, O'Neal, Grayson Murphy, Gabriel Murphy, Hearn and Muasau made their UCLA debuts. TE Hudson Habermehl made his first start against Alabama State.

I puking eagle'd, but seriously, they got to the QB last year. The scuttlebutt about the personality conflicts are concerning but they got it done. We haven't reliably gotten to the QB this year without them. 

A real question to ask is how much was our success of getting to QBs last season tied to the Murphy twins? And how much did they raise Bennet's profile as a DC? Because this defense is lacking something upfront. Last year, there were some issues in the backfield, but the front 7 kept it manageable. It doesn't appear we have that this year. Conveniently, we don't have the Murphy twins either.

Offense is going to have to be the monster it was to keep pace. This defense isn't stopping shit based on these three games. I'd like to be proved wrong.

• Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Toward the end of football season last year they became embolden (gloating) that became a distraction for the team as a whole. Glad they found a place they can play and talk all the trash they want. With that said it says volumes about the coaching staff also.

Just my opinion

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

This is where the portal will kill G5s. Kids with immaturity get experience here and show their talents, but also their faults. Some P5 sees them and says, with the right coaching and getting them around better athletes, as well as just growing up, they will be much better for them in a year or two.

We are basically the P5s minor leagues now…thanks a lot, NCAA.

• Upvote 6

Man I'm likely wrong here but I don't care about the gloating. So they make a big play and can't be proud? Looking at the NFL, Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens liked to gloat and were great. Cam Newton as well and he won an MVP and took his team to a Super Bowl. Deon Sanders let everybody know he was THE GUY when he was out there. If they're out making big plays and having fun, let them celebrate or "gloat." It's part of the game.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

24 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Man I'm likely wrong here but I don't care about the gloating. So they make a big play and can't be proud? Looking at the NFL, Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens liked to gloat and were great. Cam Newton as well and he won an MVP and took his team to a Super Bowl. Deon Sanders let everybody know he was THE GUY when he was out there. If they're out making big plays and having fun, let them celebrate or "gloat." It's part of the game.

It's fine to celebrate Dallas but doing something stupid and hurting your team with just a little margin for error is STUPID!

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Why is it so hard for our fans to accept losing the twins was a huge, possibly insurmountable loss to this program?  Our defense is being shredded up like mincemeat this season folks.  Get real.

I watched our teams during the Dickey run.  The defense that had the likes of Kennedy, Awasome, Cardwell, Casey, Hurd, Spencer, Buckles, Jones, McGee, Knowlton, etc.  They celebrated after big plays but never put themselves above the team, thus rarely drew stupid penalties.  The Murphys are all about the Murphys.  Their Dad proved that with his social media presence.  

Will we miss their talent?  Sure, but I believe we will have a stronger team in the long run.  Oh, and losing "the twins" is not insurmountable.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I watched out teams during the Dickey run.  The defense that had the likes of Kennedy, Awasome, Cardwell, Casey, Hurd, Spencer, Buckles, Jones, McGee, Knowlton, etc.  They celebrated after big plays but never put themselves above the team, thus rarely drew stupid penalties.  The Murphys are all about the Murphys.  Their Dad proved that with his social media presence.  

Will we miss their talent?  Sure, but I believe we will have a stronger team in the long run.  Oh, and losing "the twins" is not insurmountable.

....so says Mr. Trieb. Along with Mr. Richards and Mr. Leota.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, ntexeagle said:

Is there a chance that part of the Murphy brothers success could be attributed to the constant double teaming of Dion Novil?  Yes, they were successful but Dion Novil was an important factor too.

I mean, that's just called have a complete defensive line. The Murphys are getting great production at UCLA so far. One recovered 2 fumbles the other day. One has 2 sacks. They're getting to the QB, although they haven't started conference play yet. If anybody is actually thinking we're better off without them, we'll, that's just putting their feelings above the team.

30 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

It's fine to celebrate Dallas but doing something stupid and hurting your team with just a little margin for error is STUPID!

Understandable. They're young. They're currently listed at 6 foot 3, 262 pounds. We could sure use their size and play-making regardless.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

What good is making a play when you give them 15 yards on an unsportsmanlike penalty and a first down?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The situation with the Murphs is a little more complicated than "teachable", and is exactly why we are okay with them taking it to California.

Yes, I'm sure we're happy with losing the number 3 ranked edge rusher on PFF out of all of college football's 399 teams. Great.

Grayson is #27 in the Pac 12.

Y'all can stop acting like losing our two best edge rushers is ok because you're bitter. Dumb penalties or not, we lost two incredibly talented guys who had real FBS size. You guys claim you want to win but then say you're happy we lost two of our best players.

Screenshot_20220914-212712_Chrome.jpg.3acaca2d970dacfd1daf0a7ad753fdb5.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yes, I'm sure we're happy with losing the number 3 ranked edge rusher on PFF out of all of college football's 399 teams. Great.

Grayson is #27 in the Pac 12.

Y'all can stop acting like losing our two best edge rushers is ok because you're bitter. Dumb penalties or not, we lost two incredibly talented guys who had real FBS size. You guys claim you want to win but then say you're happy we lost two of our best players.

Not happy.  I would say this falls under "bittersweet".  this isn't some either-or scenario. We can acknowledge a loss in production and still want to move on.

We can claim we want to win, and still be rid of somebody that might have helped.

Friendly reminder that the team motto is "Selfless, tough, disciplined".  I don't think "win at all costs" is hung up anywhere in our halls.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Not happy.  I would say this falls under "bittersweet".  this isn't some either-or scenario. We can acknowledge a loss in production and still want to move on.

We can claim we want to win, and still be rid of somebody that might have helped.

Friendly reminder that the team motto is "Selfless, tough, disciplined".  I don't think "win at all costs" is hung up anywhere in our halls.

Bittersweet is fine. My comments are more directed at those who seem to imply we're better without them because they got some dumb penalties. I've seen it mainly in previous threads but there's similar comments above as well.

I understand "win at all costs" isn't hung up but damn, I'd sure take the 25+ tackles for loss, 16ish sacks they got us last year. We don't have anybody on our roster who appears capable of replacing their production although I do think we have some nice pieces. Time will tell if we're truly better without them but I doubt it.