Update regarding UNT Sports TV/Radio/Video Etc.

Harry

• Harry changed the title to Update regarding UNT Sports TV/Radio/Video Etc.
  • Harry featured this topic
2 hours ago, Harry said:

We also need fans to learn about and take advantage of the Varsity Network App

The only problem with this is the lack of cell data when at the games. But... we know that. Hopefully they get some WiFi in the stadium as a part of their AAC money move.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I know that there have been a lot of questions pertaining to UNT Sports media lately and I wanted to help clarify a few items that I am hearing about from sources:

1).  KNTU re-formatted this summer and they no longer wanted to carry sports.  That said, their coverage map is almost identical to 95.3 FM.  KNTU is what is termed a non-commercial station which makes it difficult to sell sponsorships.  So in a way this new set-up is good for us.  We just need to get more people on board with the change to 95.3.

Why would anyone care what some NT administrator/faculty member wants to do or worse yet a student relative to radio coverage?

You don't throw away decades of tradition because someone doesn't want to cover sports.

Terminate that employee or give an option to cover sports or resign. 

I really hate to see people fired, probably from jobs that they love, but radio probably has some of the least job security of any field of work. And a lot of the time, people aren't fired for lack of listeners, but because management wanted to go in a different direction. I'm like many former music students, disappointed about the format change at 88.1, but their not wanting to broadcast sports is really like a kick in the teeth from the hired help to the owners.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, eulessismore said:

Just to address "1.)" above, I've tried listening to 95.3 during a game and not during a game, and can't get it to do anything but drift between two broadcasts, neither of them with a clear enough signal to understand. Has anyone had a better experience with this new radio station?

Ok, so after a little research, I've concluded that this is a so called "Rimshot" station, now broadcasting from somewhere northeast of Gunter, Texas. Wikipedia isn't a great source, but seems correct in saying that a "Rimshot" station may or may not succeed in reaching its target audience.

No, the coverage map for 88.1 (which isn't really great, but exists in at least of the northern part of the Metroplex) is not almost identical to that of 95.3. Sorry to call bullshit, but tell me how I'm wrong. 

95.3 is amazingly bad at my house in North Dallas, it drifts and fades with other signals and at times I cant even begin to understand anything being broadcast for minutes at a time. KNTU was not the best if I was driving south of Dallas but even then better than I get at the house with 95.3.

Reminds me of when I was a kid at night and I would pick up a radio station bouncing off the atmosphere from Chi Town or Seattle. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

95.3 is terrible. Fades in and out. Terrible reception right here in the metroplex and that’s too bad because that’s a huge market. 
But I can see going after reaching Wichita Falls and Gainesville.  😉

This.   How can UNT Sports be a serious FBS program if it does not have a broadcast signal that can reach the entire Metroplex??   But we have the Red River covered, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, KNTU opting out of sports coverage is a just a big kick in the balls to anyone (like me) who wanted to believe Denton was getting on board the sports train.

I really wish athletics would stay at KNTU..  Be anchored in Denton by Denton radio.  Plant your feet where you stand and grow from there.  Not just outsource this effort to a city 30 miles away.  It feels defeating.  All sorts of implications, and none of them are good.

I say all that, and know full well the benefits of coverage growth on a commercial station.  Maybe there is someway to have best of both worlds.

(Would help tons to stop getting football humiliated on regional and national TV)

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Man, KNTU opting out of sports coverage is a just a big kick in the balls to anyone (like me) who wanted to believe Denton was getting on board the sports train.

I really wish athletics would stay at KNTU..  Be anchored in Denton by Denton radio.  Plant your feet where you stand and grow from there.  Not just outsource this effort to a city 30 miles away.  It feels defeating.  All sorts of implications, and none of them are good.

I say all that, and know full well the benefits of coverage growth on a commercial station.  Maybe there is someway to have best of both worlds.

(Would help tons to stop getting football humiliated on regional and national TV)

There is no coverage growth. According to the link below, KHYI has been a sports affiliate of the Mean Green Sports Network since 1974: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHYI, broadcasting UNT football and basketball games. I know I've listened to some UNT sports being broadcast on 95.3 before this year, so the linked article can't be completely wrong. In other words, I see the radio broadcasts being not switched, from 88.1 to 95.3, but just removed from 88.1. And I swear I've actually been able to listen to broadcasts from 95.3 before this year which could be understood clearly enough.

I think someone's trying, with some success, to gaslight us.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

18 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

There is no coverage growth. According to the link below, KHYI has been a sports affiliate of the Mean Green Sports Network since 1974: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHYI, broadcasting UNT football and basketball games. I know I've listened to some UNT sports being broadcast on 95.3 before this year, so the linked article can't be completely wrong. In other words, I see the radio broadcasts being not switched, from 88.1 to 95.3, but just removed from 88.1. And I swear I've actually been able to listen to broadcasts from 95.3 before this year which could be understood clearly enough.

I think someone's trying, with some success, to gaslight us.

One follow-up question is, do you believe the radio presence will grow? Will Wren be able to work some sponsorships that will breathe some new, fresh air into this?

If you believe there can be growth, then you're probably in wait-and-see mode on 95.3.

If you do not believe the commercial side will grow, then this move doesn't mean anything to you.  And the drop from 88.1 is just one more gut punch from the City of Denton (from within our own house!)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

One follow-up question is, do you believe the radio presence will grow? Will Wren be able to work some sponsorships that will breathe some new, fresh air into this?

If you believe there can be growth, then you're probably in wait-and-see mode on 95.3.

If you do not believe the commercial side will grow, then this move doesn't mean anything to you.  And the drop from 88.1 is just one more gut punch from the City of Denton (from within our own house!)

The only time I ever listened to 88.1, even while a student, was for NT sports for the past 50 years.  Many times it was a poor signal in the Metroplex.  Now, if they truly change to Indy music format I may try them out, but otherwise since they won't carry sports I have no reason to ever tune in again. 

Wren needs to seriously get us linked into a strong Metroplex station to broadcast games.   No excuses!

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

Feels kinda weird to be all concerned about over-the-air radio coverage in 2022.  Most (all) of our games are available via a video stream or are on TV these days.  It would be interesting to know what the market for radio listeners of UNT sports is.  A few hundred or thousand?  Most radio stations stream directly or through some app and everyone and their mother has a phone these days.  Turn off the transistor and join the modern world.  

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I know that there have been a lot of questions pertaining to UNT Sports media lately and I wanted to help clarify a few items that I am hearing about from sources:

1).  KNTU re-formatted this summer and they no longer wanted to carry sports.  That said, their coverage map is almost identical to 95.3 FM.   KNTU is what is termed a non-commercial station which makes it difficult to sell sponsorships.  So in a way this new set-up is good for us.   We just need to get more people on board with the change to 95.3.

Why would anyone care what some NT administrator/faculty member wants to do or worse yet a student relative to radio coverage?

You don't throw away decades of tradition because someone doesn't want to cover sports.

Terminate that employee or give an option to cover sports or resign. 

Based on the underlined portion I fully believe this was assisted by the athletic department in an effort to get more money. I don’t like it but I guess I get it. Wren and Neal could’ve pushed back but they didn’t and that is because of $$.

Edited by Cr1028

45 minutes ago, keith said:

Feels kinda weird to be all concerned about over-the-air radio coverage in 2022.  Most (all) of our games are available via a video stream or are on TV these days.  It would be interesting to know what the market for radio listeners of UNT sports is.  A few hundred or thousand?  Most radio stations stream directly or through some app and everyone and their mother has a phone these days.  Turn off the transistor and join the modern world.  

When you try to listen to these stations online they play music online during the games

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Based on the underlined portion I fully believe this was assisted by the athletic department in an effort to get more money. I don’t like it but I guess I get it. Wren and Neal could’ve pushed back but they didn’t and that is because of $$.

We need to be worried when every time we talk about taking steps to improve our program we hear a reference to not having the money. We might be in for some rough times in the AAC.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

When you try to listen to these stations online they play music online during the games

D'oh!  I wonder why that is...I can guess, but it would be interesting to know if that's something called out in the agreement we entered into with them.  In the long list of things to be concerned about, however, I think what OTA radio coverage we have has to be pretty far down the list.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

My guess is that this is more of an issue out in rural areas where cell and or high speed broadband may not be as reliable or available.  Still a lot of folks cutting the cord don’t switch to streaming platforms, but just go exclusively over the air.  That’s where radio coverage helps, but it is still always only going to be limited by the range of the specific radio station we partner with.

I much prefer to use the varsity app.  It’s even better this year than the confusing mess that is TuneIn.  So anyone complaining here should give that a try if you have access to internet.

• Skeptical Eagle 1