Is Gary Patterson a possibility?

cousin oliver

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I think we all need to consider that Patterson is not wired for the NIL/Portal era.

If you have a counter-argument to that, I'm all ears.

My counter argument would simply be that we if we got a proven guy like him, we shouldn't be expecting him to come in and build a perennial winner. It should be to win with who we have now to start our AAC membership and then move on quickly unless he churns back-to-back 10+ win seasons. Take the Houston model where 8 win seasons get you fired but lets be frank, if we started our AAC membership with multiple 8+ win seasons, I think we'd be pleased. I think Patterson can coach well enough to get us there.

Going up in conference will bring new challenges, notably the new competition. Personally, I don't think bringing in a first time HC is wise to rebuild and see that change through simultaneously.

Regarding not being wired for NIl/transfer portal, I'm just not sure how much that matters outside the truly elite. We see SMU's NIL collective and what they did but from what I've read, that's very unique outside the P5. It's up to the Light The Tower Collective do its part. Players will always transfer. Other than the NIL collective coming up with a way to "pay" all the football players like SMU or Texas Tech, most teams and players aren't getting big deals unless they're the big stars at the biggest schools but like we just saw with App State, Marshall, and Georgia Southern, elite coaching is still important and can make the difference. I'll take elite coaching over a guy who's savy with the NIL stuff. As long as he's understanding that's it part of the current landscape, he can get younger coordinators and assistants to deal with that. With him being at Texas, I'm not sure he's as opposed to the NIL as people think he is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yup, people constantly talk about how this is not a desirable job because of a history of lack of winning, but winning changes all of that. Get some forward momentum and it breeds more winning. 

This is crazy talk.  This is a fantastic gig for a winner personality.  Great location, facilities, growing enrollment.  Just moved up conferences.  This place could win all The time with the right guy.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Candidates will want to know about the NIL money and what the hell is going on with the strength, condition , rehab facilities? New one needs to be built now!!! Forget about the master plan!

There are only 130 of these jobs. This one is in prime recruiting territory with nice facilities and moving up to the AAC.  NIL is being addressed and Wren has a plan for facilities.  There will be a line for this job!   

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:14 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

We really need to quit looking for a UNT Bobby Bowden, and follow the model of hiring successful coaches after each one moves to new heights.

Absolutely staying at program for over 10 years is an anomaly.  This is part of the reason coaches have contracts.  I think everyone has come to conclusion in hindsight that Seth getting bought out by KSU would likely have been better than him staying.  I wasn’t in favor of the second raise and extension.  Conservative midrange salaries for the conference is the standard here until you actually win the conference.  There is huge untapped financial potential here if this program goes on UTSA like streak 🤮.  Sorry I had to puke after saying that but it is the truth.   Then maybe you could money whip a coach into staying longer and turn him into a “Patterson”.   But that isn’t the priority.   Coaching here is a great opportunity 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:43 AM, NTSU52 said:

We need to be done hiring fired coaches. He is past his prime.

We hired Hayden Fry after he was fired. That seemed to work out well.

And as to only hiring coaches with HC experience. I believe that there were a few assistant coaches for Hayden Fry that went on to have pretty good careers.

• Upvote 3

On 9/12/2022 at 6:41 PM, greenminer said:

I think we all need to consider that Patterson is not wired for the NIL/Portal era.

It was never a thing until last year? How do you presume he's not wired for it if he's never coached any seasons with it? 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

It was never a thing until last year? How do you presume he's not wired for it if he's never coached any seasons with it? 

I actually think he could do it, given a little time to figure out how he wants to handle things.  I just gathered from the way things fell out at TCU that the guy doesn't want to do it.

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, helix said:

Mainly hesitant about his longevity.  I bet he is still a Good coach, but how long will he be sticking around Denton if things turn around here?

I want the problem of having to replace a coach because he did so well at North Texas he got hired elsewhere.

After Hayden Fry, only one coach got another Division I/FBS head coaching job after UNT -- Jerry Moore coached Texas Tech. Two others got lower level head coaching gigs: Dennis Parker at Texas Lutheran and Bob Tyler at Millsaps. The other six coaches haven't led a team again.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone thought about the fact that Gary could be our head coach and not have to move away from his house and family in Ft. Worth?  That is a very important thing that UNT can offer before anyone else.  Let's take the old Denton blinders off and think outside the box.  This guy has a proven track record of building programs from G5 to P5 for goodness sakes!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

At the end of the day it's up to him.  He's absolutely been one of the best college football coaches during the past 2 decades.  The question is what is his motivation.  Does he still want to spend the time and energy on football and not other things?  Everything on the interwebs and news makes it sounds like he's done with the 24x7 grind and is only involved part-time at Texas.  If he's all-in, you'd be crazy not to consider him.  If he's not, you'd be crazy to.

• Upvote 5

On 9/13/2022 at 1:15 AM, GrandGreen said:

Baker is not going to go to this board for advise, anymore than Littrell is going to pick his QB based on fan opinion.  

Wren Baker obviously doesn't look to this board for advice.

If he did we'd be talking about how great it was to win our third National Championship last season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/12/2022 at 6:41 PM, greenminer said:

I agree with this, but I think people don’t realize that the jump in talent from g5 to p5 isn’t just players.  

there’s a reason so many g5 coaches fail when they jump to p5. There are lots of factors, but one of the major ones is they just flat out get out-coached.

if we could get Patterson he would dominate once again at the g5 level. He’s a master at getting the most out of his players, strategy, but also finding the hidden talents that can excel at the next level. 

that’s a lot harder to do in the big 12 than it is in the AAC/cusa/sbc/etc. 

im pretty sure Patterson still lives in or has a house in the fw area. He’s to ingrained into the fabric of ftw. 

If he wants to be a hc again, Denton is the PERFECT spot for him. He knows he’ll be able to have complete control again, plus he will be going against mostly inferior competition when it comes to coaching. Dude is a savant!! Just watch clips from when he did the coaches film room for espn during the national championship a few years ago. He was schooling everyone in that room. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

And as to only hiring coaches with HC experience. I believe that there were a few assistant coaches for Hayden Fry that went on to have pretty good careers.

Yes. Bill Snyder, who wanted the NT head coaching job when Hayden left, comes to mind as a pretty good assistant that became a successful head coach.

• Upvote 3

On 9/12/2022 at 9:09 AM, wardly said:

He seemed burned out at TCU. Also, he is not the D.C. at Texas but an " advisor." However,I really don't know what his role actually is.

JUST RAMBLING, MAN…
I don’t think Gary Patterson would leave Austin & 6’th Street music row for Denton.  TCU paid him well & gave him a nice retirement. Don’t think he needs the headaches of a G5 program during this NIL era.  He was publicly unhappy with NIL even when he was at TCU.

What he did at TCU was admirable.
Gosh! Looking back did any of you ever go to a TCU game at Amon Carter Stadium in the 1960’s & 1970’s?  Without visiting SWC fans that stadium would have been near empty at many games. They solved that problem by connecting to Fort Worth.  Remember “TCU: Your Home Team” bumper stickers ?  TCU’s endowment coffers & UT’s retiring DeLoss Dodds (who sponsored TCU) bought them a Big 12 membership. SMU will probably one day do the same for some P5 conference.  Big money & being active in the athletic venues Arms War really does big things for a school in the NCAA.  

Gary Patterson created a sad ending for his career at TCU & is a big reason you never put a statue up for a coach still on your payroll.

GMG!  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1