Is Gary Patterson a possibility?

cousin oliver

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This isn't a fair assumption though.   You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.   

There are many qualified coordinators out there who could make NT a winner.   You lose out on a ton of qualified coaches if you just dismiss young OCs because of Littrell.

Well said and this goes for every coach. Can't dismiss older HCs just because of Danny Mac either. Every coach is unique and you really never know who's going to be a hit.

My thing with Patterson is his overall body of work at TCU was impressive and spanned over 2 decades. While he won't be at his next gig that long, it shows he can sustain success by recruiting talent, not just coach well. He can build a program. In addition, he knows the metroplex and the recruiting grounds we need to tap into. Not much more you can ask for to lead you into a new conference and certainly preferable to a younger guy who's never led a program in my worthless opinion. Hopeful Wren at least calls him.

• Upvote 1

We don’t need the headache.

https://247sports.com/Article/Former-TCU-coach-Gary-Patterson-reportedly-told-team-he-was-untouchable-175001980/

“I know what you are trying to do,” Patterson said to his team at a practice in October, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “They’re not going to fire me. They’re going to fire the assistant coaches. I’m untouchable.”

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

We need to be done hiring fired coaches. He is past his prime.

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No thank you. I don't want to go the re-tread route. It typically doesn't work out for any kind of sustained amount of time and we all know how it worked out here for us. He's had his opportunities. Let's give someone that will show much more hunger in today's college football climate. 

Again:

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This isn't a fair assumption though.   You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.   

There are many qualified coordinators former head coaches out there who could make NT a winner.   You lose out on a ton of qualified coaches if you just dismiss young OCs former HC's because of Littrell McCarney.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again:

I understand your point. He is a good coach. I wouldn't be angry if that's the next guy. I just question his recruiting prowess and his ability to care about wanting to use the transfer portal, recruit hard, get in line with NIL. A lot has changed since he was leading TCU to their good times. He doesn't strike me as a guy to wants to put up with the evolution of the game. Rather he comes off as a guy that is going to continue to do what he has always done which is go get undersized and lightly recruited players and plug them into unorthodox positions to fit his need and where they can best help. That just isn't going to work here, imo. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who cares?   If he turns things around here, that's a good thing, and we'll bring in someone who wants to be here to take over a winner & launch his career to the next level too.   

Look at Houston.   They've made fantastic coaching hires since Art Briles took over a long time back.  Even Major Applewhite, had a winning record (and they consider him a "miss").   They churn through coaches, but everyone sees them as a great program to coach before they go to the next level.  

We really need to quit looking for a UNT Bobby Bowden, and follow the model of hiring successful coaches after each one moves to new heights.

But honestly, I would think bringing Patterson here would be because he wants to be back in DFW & be a HC again.   If he's not looking for both of those things, NT won't be able to get him.   Definitely worth inquiring with his agent though.

This is right on ^

We need to get over this fear of coaches leaving for P5 jobs. Use a coach the way a coach might use us and keep climbing. I wonder where we would be if Littrell has really left for KState (assuming that was legit). Would we have had a hot coach come in here and keep the momentum going?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is right on ^

We need to get over this fear of coaches leaving for P5 jobs. Use a coach the way a coach might use us and keep climbing. I wonder where we would be if Littrell has really left for KState (assuming that was legit). Would we have had a hot coach come in here and keep the momentum going?

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b22lpiixjhaz694pfz5v

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is right on ^

Yeah, imagine if we became known as a place for coaches to come and get hired away instead of a place where coaches come to die.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 2

2 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Yes by all means, we should hire another young OC type like Littrell.   Cause that worked out so well before...

Not all up-and-comers will be a Littrell. Coach mumbles was a fumble.

Risky...maybe. But I'm also just not crazy about the fired coaches carrousel that we see in NCAAF/NFL 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, helix said:

Mainly hesitant about his longevity.  I bet he is still a Good coach, but how long will he be sticking around Denton if things turn around here?

Id rather go with a younger option who could perhaps become a Gary Patterson for us (pipe dream probably.)

Like SL young? Because if he is anything good, he's gonna be gone. If he's not, you're stuck with him until his affordable to fire...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

My humble opinion is Patterson is done with Head Coaching - I’m sure he’s already had offers. Remember he was a top ten salary guy in the nation at 6.1 mil - he has more money that he can spend already - he is 62 and has a  Cush Gig at Texas - working the hours he wants and collecting fun money at $150,000 - Can he recruit and make us better - for sure, but why in the world would you do this to yourself with the commitment you have to make to be the HC - 80hrs a week and everybody being in your business 24/7 - he can play music in little clubs off of 6th street and dabble in the defense (very apparent his impact at UT based on the Bama game) and coast into the sunset!  Ego is all that would get him here and I’d like us to get a guy that’s more on the up and comer side of the docket - someone had a great post on trying to nab a Sunbelt HC or the guy in Commerce? Plus the thread on HC ideas here has tons of good candidates. But I’m saying Patterson is a waste of typing time. JMO 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I understand your point. He is a good coach. I wouldn't be angry if that's the next guy. I just question his recruiting prowess and his ability to care about wanting to use the transfer portal, recruit hard, get in line with NIL. A lot has changed since he was leading TCU to their good times. He doesn't strike me as a guy to wants to put up with the evolution of the game. Rather he comes off as a guy that is going to continue to do what he has always done which is go get undersized and lightly recruited players and plug them into unorthodox positions to fit his need and where they can best help. That just isn't going to work here, imo. 

So it'll work for TCU to have 11 double-digit win seasons out of his 21 there, 3 of which were in the BIG 12 but it won't work at UNT in the AAC lite? Not following. Actually sounds perfect for a place that people have said is hard to recruit to. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So it'll work for TCU to have 11 double-digit win seasons out of his 21 there, 3 of which were in the BIG 12 but it won't work at UNT in the AAC lite? Not following. Actually sounds perfect for a place that people have said is hard to recruit to. 

You nailed it...we need someone who can find diamonds in the rough and coach a system that is capable of lasting thru coordinator change.

I do agree that Patterson may very well be done, especially if he gets to scratch that itch for coaching by doing what he's doing in Austin. But these guys usually come back as they can't get it out of their system. Patterson could look at the situation here and see us looking like TCU did early on when he got there and built it up.

OR

Patterson knows our history and knows we won't have the funds or BMDs to do what he would needs done. He never had that issue at once in TCU. So, it probably is a pipedream.

I have said for a while that I believe we get to 7 wins and SL gets an extension--but if he does get fired, I feel like the guys who will be the coach here next are in this group (Fuente, Harrell, or Skip Holtz).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, zenhuddy said:

My humble opinion is Patterson is done with Head Coaching - I’m sure he’s already had offers. Remember he was a top ten salary guy in the nation at 6.1 mil - he has more money that he can spend already - he is 62 and has a  Cush Gig at Texas - working the hours he wants and collecting fun money at $150,000 - Can he recruit and make us better - for sure, but why in the world would you do this to yourself with the commitment you have to make to be the HC - 80hrs a week and everybody being in your business 24/7 - he can play music in little clubs off of 6th street and dabble in the defense (very apparent his impact at UT based on the Bama game) and coast into the sunset!  Ego is all that would get him here and I’d like us to get a guy that’s more on the up and comer side of the docket - someone had a great post on trying to nab a Sunbelt HC or the guy in Commerce? Plus the thread on HC ideas here has tons of good candidates. But I’m saying Patterson is a waste of typing time. JMO 

In all seriousness, you're probably right.   But he's worth a shot, for sure.  Worst that can happen is he says "no".

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I do agree that Patterson may very well be done, especially if he gets to scratch that itch for coaching by doing what he's doing in Austin. But these guys usually come back as they can't get it out of their system. Patterson could look at the situation here and see us looking like TCU did early on when he got there and built it up.

Plenty of reasons we could lure him here, albeit with a good chunk of change. I read a comment that he's got more money than he knows what to do with considering his TCU salary implying that he wouldn't come here because his current job is cush. Problem is these guys have a different mentality. They're ultra competitive and love the game. Clearly he's both of those since he's at UT for pennies compared to what he's already earned. Let's be real. He's 62. He's not old. Maybe not young enough to be here long-term but we don't need that. We just need somebody to start our AAC affiliation with some success. Mack Brown is 71 and HC at North Carolina and I doubt he needs the money. He took that job at 69. Gary Patterson's got another 7 or 8 years as HC if he wants it. Coming to UNT would bring him back to the metroplex where he spent 21 years of his life. I'm sure he's got a soft spot for DFW. Time will tell if we pursue him and if accepts but for those saying there's no reason he'd even want to come here, we'll, thats not true.

• Upvote 1

Goddammit, NO. This whole thread is asinine.

Patterson was let go from TCU not only for the on- and off-field issues but because he let the game pass him by and he's resentful of such – loud and publicly so. He couldn't evolve. He tried and failed to maintain the "rule-by-tyranny" kind of head coaching and that doesn't work in this long overdue era of player-empowerment. His decades of success are more than valid, but he actively shot himself in the foot over and again across the last few years. No, thank you.

I want we – UNT and the royal we – to stop chasing the past glory of other institutions. I want UNT to actively, creatively, and strategically create its own glory; set for what the game is now and adaptive to what's to come.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Patterson was let go from TCU not only for the on- and off-field issues but because he let the game pass him by and he's resentful of such – loud and publicly so. He couldn't evolve. He tried and failed to maintain the "rule-by-tyranny" kind of head coaching and that doesn't work in this long overdue era of player-empowerment. His decades of success are more than valid, but he actively shot himself in the foot over and again across the last few years. No, thank you.

I want we – UNT and the royal we – to stop chasing the past glory of other institutions. I want UNT to actively, creatively, and strategically create its own glory; set for what the game is now and adaptive to what's to come.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401403868

I don't think the game has "passed him by".

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401403868

I don't think the game has "passed him by".

Agreed. He had to deal with stepping up hugely in class by going to the Big XII from the MWC. It went well at first, but it caught up to them...as we will see next year, as our program ain't ready for that.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

You lost me totally with the first word of your argument.  Is that really necessary?

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think we all need to consider that Patterson is not wired for the NIL/Portal era.

If you have a counter-argument to that, I'm all ears.

I think his biggest issue at TCU with the NIL was the fact that if they (boosters) wanted to compete against other schools for NIL/portal players the boosters have to step up. He called out the pay-for-play early on.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who cares?   If he turns things around here, that's a good thing, and we'll bring in someone who wants to be here to take over a winner & launch his career to the next level too.   

Look at Houston.   They've made fantastic coaching hires since Art Briles took over a long time back.  Even Major Applewhite, had a winning record (and they consider him a "miss").   They churn through coaches, but everyone sees them as a great program to coach before they go to the next level.  

We really need to quit looking for a UNT Bobby Bowden, and follow the model of hiring successful coaches after each one moves to new heights.

But honestly, I would think bringing Patterson here would be because he wants to be back in DFW & be a HC again.   If he's not looking for both of those things, NT won't be able to get him.   Definitely worth inquiring with his agent though.

Yup, people constantly talk about how this is not a desirable job because of a history of lack of winning, but winning changes all of that. Get some forward momentum and it breeds more winning. 

• Upvote 3