Is Gary Patterson a possibility?

cousin oliver

About the only way Gary Patterson comes here is if:

1.) He still wants to be a head coach again and wants to live in DFW area.

2.) We pay him something significant to be here.

He made a lot at TCU and makes a nice income now in Austin. But I wonder if he just wants to do that gig at UT and just play country music in Austin in his spare time. As evidenced by yesterday’s game, the dude has major defensive chops when coming up with game plans.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I doubt we have much of a chance, but it's worth kicking the tires. I'm sure he wants to be a HC again. I just imagine he has his sights on bigger programs in the region. 

You're probably right but the AAC has some draw still. It's been a launching pad for coaches to get to a P5 gig. With the expansion of the playoffs guaranteeing a spot to the top 6 conference winners, I think we'll see a trickling of hungry recruits and coaches the G5.

• Upvote 3

I feel like the Denton community and our fanbase would welcome Gary with open arms.  He is too young to retire.

Here is what excites me about Gary.  He knows how to build us.  Let me repeat that again so everyone can understand this because the guy we have now has no clue.  He knows how to build this.  He has an eye for talent.  He also knows who to hire to reel in the talent. 

My only fear is that Wren won't consider him or anyone like him because he will absolutely hold everyone over at Bonnie Brae street accountable like they have never been in their lives!  He also will hold Neal and the Gang of 17 accountable. 

I don't mean this as a criticism of Wren but the buracracy of AD's in general.  They much prefer a guy like Littrell that will "fall in line" and not complain and make their road much easier. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who cares?   If he turns things around here, that's a good thing, and we'll bring in someone who wants to be here to take over a winner & launch his career to the next level too.   

Look at Houston.   They've made fantastic coaching hires since Art Briles took over a long time back.  Even Major Applewhite, had a winning record (and they consider him a "miss").   They churn through coaches, but everyone sees them as a great program to coach before they go to the next level.  

We really need to quit looking for a UNT Bobby Bowden, and follow the model of hiring successful coaches after each one moves to new heights.

But honestly, I would think bringing Patterson here would be because he wants to be back in DFW & be a HC again.   If he's not looking for both of those things, NT won't be able to get him.   Definitely worth inquiring with his agent though.

Good post - But PLEASE DO NOT OVERPAY. We need to stop looking for someone who will be here for years; if he wins and it happens, great!  If we go through coaches because we are winning (ref Ark State) then good. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who cares?   If he turns things around here, that's a good thing, and we'll bring in someone who wants to be here to take over a winner & launch his career to the next level too.   

Definitely has the potential to attract top quality young and experienced coaches who aren't "ready" for a HC spot or want more time to develop under an established coach like Patterson..... A coordinator or position coach who has outgrown their current position but not getting a HC job that sees working under someone as accomplished as Patterson as a step up and forward in their career, this type of coach fills out a staff very well.  

There's the potential draw for him as a "Legacy" Project.... come in and turn it around, hand it off, but stay involved in a mentorship/quality control capacity.... lots of good ways to look at him and his potential impact on the program for many years ahead!

• Upvote 3

No! He's too old and tired...head coach works 100 hours a week (if he's doing his job right) Patterson is on the back 9 we need youth for a rebuild; go to the Sunbelt, we pay double the salary and virtually can get any coach we want. The guy at Louisiana makes $600,000. a year, they went 10-1 the last 2 years. Sunbelt is looking pretty good right now; arguably better talent than the AAC and C-USA...

And, another thing, who ever said we can't compete with SMU? Bullshit, the UNT coach must go! Often a new coach can turn a team around in less than a year with the same players...

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

No! He's too old and tired...head coach works 100 hours a week (if he's doing his job right) Patterson is on the back 9 we need youth for a rebuild; go to the Sunbelt, we pay double the salary and virtually can get any coach we want. The guy at Louisiana makes $600,000. a year, they went 10-1 the last 2 years. Sunbelt is looking pretty good right now; arguably better talent than the AAC and C-USA...

And, another thing, who ever said we can't compete with SMU? Bullshit, the UNT coach must go! Often a new coach can turn a team around in less than a year with the same players...

You need to take a closer look at LALa's situation: why you're attributing the past 2 seasons' success to the wrong person, and why it wouldn't happen anyway even if the new guy can keep it going.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

Yes by all means, we should hire another young OC type like Littrell.   Cause that worked out so well before...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

5 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Yes by all means, we should hire another young OC type like Littrell.   Cause that worked out so well before...

This isn't a fair assumption though.   You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.   

There are many qualified coordinators out there who could make NT a winner.   You lose out on a ton of qualified coaches if you just dismiss young OCs because of Littrell.

• Upvote 5