Secondary’s Lack of Playmaking

BillySee58

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Also, Nick Nakwaasah (transfer from
FCS Central Arkansas) appeared to be one of our starting safeties in the spring. I don’t even think he has suited up yet. Not sure if it’s injury or what, but I’d like to see someone like him have a chance at giving us a fresh new body back there.

I think Vito reported he is out for the year with an injury.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Also, Nick Nakwaasah (transfer from
FCS Central Arkansas) appeared to be one of our starting safeties in the spring. I don’t even think he has suited up yet. Not sure if it’s injury or what, but I’d like to see someone like him have a chance at giving us a fresh new body back there.

I think he would have been a difference maker. Like Mazin/Trieb, but in the secondary.  Big loss for sure. 

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think he would have been a difference maker. Like Mazin/Trieb, but in the secondary.  Big loss for sure. 

Says a lot about our program when we are mentioning the fact that the FCS transfer would probably be a game changer for us

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Says a lot about our program when we are mentioning the fact that the FCS transfer would probably be a game changer for us

I don’t see it as a negative. Mazin and Trieb have been good additions. He would have been another one.  As long as the player contributes, it doesn’t matter where they were before arriving on campus.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I don’t see it as a negative. Mazin and Trieb have been good additions. He would have been another one.  As long as the player contributes, it doesn’t matter where they were before arriving on campus.  

For comparison use the speed difference when we played smu. We seem to be more content on building a team that can compete with low-level G5's than one that can win at the highest level of G5 and be competitive against p5s

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

19 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For comparison use the speed difference when we played smu. We seem to be more content on building a team that can compete with low-level G5's than one that can win at the highest level of G5 and be competitive against p5s

I can see that point of view.  I see the offers going out to higher rated recruits (not sure about transfer portal, though). There appears to  be a desire to bring in P5’s, but they only seem to bite on offense.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Hard to make an interception with your back is to the quarterback.

Happened so many times against SMU and even a few last night. 

Also, Sean Thomas Faulkner is not built to be a safety. Not fast enough whatsoever, and gets burned up the seam and in cover 2 constantly. 

The big problem is, our new defensive staff and really since Kemon Hall, hasn't been able to recruit fast DBs.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

On 9/11/2022 at 3:14 PM, aztecskin said:

For all of Reffett's weaknesses (inflexible scheme, predictable play-calling) he had a knack for finding secondary dudes. Kemon Hall, Eric Jenkins come to mind. 

I know he wasn’t a Reffett recruit, but Nate Brooks was someone I kind of took for granted here.

He had 6 picks at cornerback his senior season in 2018. All of our cornerbacks in the 3.25 seasons since then have combined to total 3 picks. And beyond that, it’s a pretty clear reflection on how closely covered (or not closely) they have been on opposing receivers.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I agree, but I would say it should be the exception and not the rule.

I guess it depends on what you view as exception vs rule. I certainly wouldn't mind getting a few transfers from NDSU, SDSU, Eastern Washington, and James Madison every year. They've got some really good programs and regularly send players to the NFL.

Edit: just remembered James Madison is now in the Sun Belt. First year in FBS from FCS and they beat MTSU 44-7 with their mostly FCS recruited roster. Tell me why you wouldn't take a few FCS transfers every year?

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

On 9/11/2022 at 3:26 PM, southsideguy said:

Hard to make an interception with your back is to the quarterback.

This! I’m no DB coach but our DB’s never turn their heads to look for the ball. When your running down to sideline and are step for step with him, why not put your hand on his hip and turn to look for the ball?

• Upvote 1

I don't know what it is, but I can't think of a season in recent memory where the DBs don't play 10 yards off the receiver. No matter the staff, it always seems to be this way.

I'd really like to see us bring in some aggressive and physical DBs (Cam Manaham of Lubbock Coronado was one player I saw who seemed to check my mental boxes) to pair with an aggressive minded coordinator to see that change.

It also doesn't help that our line isn't getting much pressure to force the quarterback to make hard throws.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Would you prefer getting 3rd string P5 guys who have no college experience as the rule? Those seem to be the two most accessible routes in the transfer portal for a program like ours.

Valid point.  I’m an underdog kind of guy and I think this type of kid will usually have the attitude that they have to work hard and earn everything that’s given to them.  BUT, a team full of guys from the Lone Star Conference doesn’t get me very excited.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Valid point.  I’m an underdog kind of guy and I think this type of kid will usually have the attitude that they have to work hard and earn everything that’s given to them.  BUT, a team full of guys from the Lone Star Conference doesn’t get me very excited.  

I wonder how playing time plays into immediate effectiveness. In theory, FCS guys would be All conference starters playing 10-12 games whereas 3rd string P5’s might be 1-3 years removed from any significant playing time.  Just thinking out loud…

9 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I wonder how playing time plays into immediate effectiveness. In theory, FCS guys would be All conference starters playing 10-12 games whereas 3rd string P5’s might be 1-3 years removed from any significant playing time.  Just thinking out loud…

because seeing a P5 Transfer gives many fans thigh sweats even if the P5 Transfer is a joke.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Would you prefer getting 3rd string P5 guys who have no college experience as the rule? Those seem to be the two most accessible routes in the transfer portal for a program like ours.

I understand your logic and always bringing up the p5s who can't contribute. My concern is you continue to see other programs, even FCS programs, get P5 backups who can contribute. We still have a problem getting P5 athletes to come to North texas. Not sure what can be done different but if we continue to get D2 Talent when others are getting FBS Talent it's going to be hard to compete