DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's win over Texas Southern

Brett Vito

18 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

If we had a top 20 rated QB who was up in the top 5 for TD throws….things would be much better…..

Ih wait…AA rated 17th yardage wise among all QB’s and tied for 3rd most TD throws in CFB.   How is that possible???

Helps that we've played one more game than about 90% of the country. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

If we had a top 20 rated QB who was up in the top 5 for TD throws….things would be much better…..

Ih wait…AA rated 17th yardage wise among all QB’s and tied for 3rd most TD throws in CFB.   How is that possible???

Top 20?  I assume you watch Aune only from a stat sheet then.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Top 20?  I assume you watch Aune only from a stat sheet then.  

No, from my seat up in the Hub Club. 

everybody keeps complaining about his stats. If only he had better stats we could win more.  His stats are not great, but they are not terrible. 2 INT’s but only 1 is on him. He has missed at least 6 wide open receivers at 20 yards or more down field that I have seen myself…maybe more. 

the fact is, he is In the top 20 in stats…this was meant for those who complain about his stats. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

everybody keeps complaining about his stats. If only he had better stats we could win more.  His stats are not great, but they are not terrible. 2 INT’s but only 1 is on him. He has missed at least 6 wide open receivers at 20 yards or more down field that I have seen myself…maybe more. 

the fact is, he is In the top 20 in stats…this was meant for those who complain about his stats. 

If you think fluff stats tell the story than not sure what to say. He has play one bad team (UTEP) and another that should not even be on the same field (TXSO). If you had the choices of all FBS QB's would Aune be in you "Top 20"? Hell would he even be in your top 100+

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A lot of y'all put a ton of expectations on Gunnell early on based on some Arizona tape.    It's clearly not the same guy out there limping around.  

It's time to face facts.   Austin Aune is the best QB we have on the roster.   And quite honestly, he should be able to win games for us.  But I really don't think he's being set up to succeed.    There's a reason why the run game works so well for NT.

I dug around to see if I could determine what Gunnell's injury was, because it is always listed as a lower leg injury.  I found on reference to his right Achilles.  If this is the case and there was a complete tear, then this could hamper him for years to come considering the right leg is the one he pushes off on when throwing a pass.

I don't get it.  This game was never in doubt.  Our starting QB throws 4 TD passes and no interceptions.  We run for almost 350 yards and go over 600 total yards for the game.  We went 1 for 1 in field goals and only punted twice.  One of their scores was off a fluke deflected pass.  We blow it open in the first half and coast the rest of the way getting game experience for a lot players and everyone is acting like we lost the game.  We did everything an FBS team is expected to do over an FCS team and then some.  What else do you want or are we just complaining because we are only happy when we complain?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, keith said:

I don't get it.  This game was never in doubt.  Our starting QB throws 4 TD passes and no interceptions.  We run for almost 350 yards and go over 600 total yards for the game.  We went 1 for 1 in field goals and only punted twice.  One of their scores was off a fluke deflected pass.  We blow it open in the first half and coast the rest of the way getting game experience for a lot players and everyone is acting like we lost the game.  We did everything an FBS team is expected to do over an FCS team and then some.  What else do you want or are we just complaining because we are only happy when we complain?

They scored 27 points on us!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, keith said:

Did you watch the game? TSU is a really bad FCS team and we struggled on both sides of the ball at times, especially on defense. Aune was was over throwing receivers constantly, did he even hit 50% completions/passes? 

There was plenty of writing on the wall for what to expect next week.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, keith said:

A bad FCS team put up 458 yards on us. That concerning. And it’s not like those yards were in garbage time…

I agree there’s not much to complain about on the offense side of the ball. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

They scored 27 points on us!

And?  At one point we were up 52-17 and 7 of their's was on a deflected pass.  The game was over, like over, over.  At some point it's natural to take your foot off the pedal and let if play out and hope no one gets injured.  

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Like others have said, we've so played 1 more game than most since we played week 0. In addition, Aune is lucky to only have 2 picks. He's made plenty of bad decisions, including throws in triple coverage. Only reason he doesn't have more picks is he misses his receivers so badly that even the opposing DBs can't get to the balls. This occurred at least 4 times against SMU.

16 hours ago, keith said:

You're oversimplyfying the QB play. Aune threw one really great TD pass to Maclin. Other than that, it was just receivers burning their man on a catch and run or to get open. His play was responsible for none of our sustained drives, it was all on the run game or TSU comitting penalties like it's their job. That's where my issue is. I'm not going to punish him for his receivers getting wide-open or winning a foot race for 70 yards but if he can't keep drives going with his arm, we're going to be in trouble against stiffer competition.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2