DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's win over Texas Southern

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, edcollopy said:

Frankly I’m shocked at Gunnell’s arm strength. I don’t see the tight release with zip or much mobility. I guess I haven’t quite figured out all the ridiculous star ratings for recruiting. 

He walks with a little limp. I wonder if that’s a new thing that’s affecting his throw?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Ever stop to think “Quarterbacks can START at other programs before transferring here, or can leave here to start at other programs, maybe it’s not the players who are ‘washed up’”?  

Exactly. At some point, we've got to start looking at our coaches. Other programs have success bringing in P5 transfers and getting the most out of them. How come we can't do that?

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, edcollopy said:

Frankly I’m shocked at Gunnell’s arm strength. I don’t see the tight release with zip or much mobility. I guess I haven’t quite figured out all the ridiculous star ratings for recruiting. 

I am not impressed with what I've seen thus far.  I don't fault the kid, but the Offensive Coordinator has done a terrible job at putting guys in a position to be successful.  He is absolutely horrific at his job and needs to be resign to assistant walk on coordinator.  Also, how can you expect a QB to perform, and will not hire a real QB coach.  Hell, go get Mason Fine to come back and coach since you want every QB to be him.  We can't move on because the coaching staff still acting like they in bed the the players who are gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Ever stop to think “Quarterbacks can START at other programs before transferring here, or can leave here to start at other programs, maybe it’s not the players who are ‘washed up’”?  

There has not been one quarterback that transferred into this program that has been more successful than where he was at when he arrived. It is freaking hilarious that people won't acknowledge the issue with a lack of a quarterback coach and a crappy ass offensive scheme and system under Seth. But hey let's keep blowing smoke up everyone's asses and talk about how we're just about to the point of reaching some new level.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I thought there was a moment when Ruder was primed to go in (after GG’s pick). I guess the coaches reconsidered?  
At this point, I don’t care who gets the start, I’m just tired of seeing consistently overthrown/underthrown balls to our open receivers. It’s frustrating. 

Maybe at this point we should just implement the wishbone and quit acting like we have a quarterback

• Upvote 1

The fact our coaching staff hasn’t been able to sign someone better than Aune the last 2 years is embarrassing. Total failure at identifying talent and developing it. 

My main takeaway from last night is our defense has regressed back to 2020. Our secondary can’t cover anyone. Our offense looked solid outside of Aune’s usual inconsistencies. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Well, I agree on the coaches part, but he ended up here for a coach that is clearly on the hot seat. That would suggest he didn’t have many choices—the others see that he’s no longer what he was at Arizona…

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

A lot of y'all put a ton of expectations on Gunnell early on based on some Arizona tape.    It's clearly not the same guy out there limping around.  

It's time to face facts.   Austin Aune is the best QB we have on the roster.   And quite honestly, he should be able to win games for us.  But I really don't think he's being set up to succeed.    There's a reason why the run game works so well for NT.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A lot of y'all put a ton of expectations on Gunnell early on based on some Arizona tape.    It's clearly not the same guy out there limping around.  

It's time to face facts.   Austin Aune is the best QB we have on the roster.   And quite honestly, he should be able to win games for us.  But I really don't think he's being set up to succeed.    There's a reason why the run game works so well for NT.

Maybe we should go to two tight ends and just tell people we're running and stop us if you can

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

That suggestion basically won us 5 straight games to end the season last year...

With the teams we face the rest of the way there's no reason we cannot be successful running the ball. I may have a lot of issues with the staff but I do believe in Coach Cobbs

• Upvote 2