The App State win today got me thinking

Dannymacfan

Is it lost on everyone that two of the wealthiest P5 football programs (A$M, ND) were taken down by G5 teams from Appalachia (App. State and Marshall); a region known for decades of grinding poverty?

I think something bigger is being uncovered already and that is that the NIL $ may not buy wins after all. These guys are essentially yearly free agents who may have little to no loyalty to their college teams and may lose to much less talented and funded programs. They are just essentially football mercenaries. Heck why would a guy even accept a scholarship if they were making more than $100K in NIL $$. I wouldn't because then there is no contractual obligation between me and the Univ.? Even NFL teams don't let this crap happen for the same reason. NFL players typically have longer contracts.

I have to admit that yesterday was one of the happiest days of my college football watching years seeing ND and the A&M lose AT HOME to two schools with not even a fraction of the funding. Very glad to see both teams season end and all the NIL $$ wasted.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Is it lost on everyone that two of the wealthiest P5 football programs (A$M, ND) were taken down by G5 teams from Appalachia (App. State and Marshall); a region known for decades of grinding poverty?

I think something bigger is being uncovered already and that is that the NIL $ may not buy wins after all. These guys are essentially yearly free agents who may have little to no loyalty to their college teams and may lose to much less talented and funded programs. They are just essentially football mercenaries. Heck why would a guy even accept a scholarship if they were making more than $100K in NIL $$. I wouldn't because then there is no contractual obligation between me and the Univ.? Even NFL teams don't let this crap happen for the same reason. NFL players typically have longer contracts.

I have to admit that yesterday was one of the happiest days of my college football watching years seeing ND and the A&M lose AT HOME to two schools with not even a fraction of the funding. Very glad to see both teams season end and all the NIL $$ wasted.

Great hopeful post.  

13 minutes ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Great post. Only thing to make yesterday perfect would've been if somehow Bama and UT could've both lost. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the HC over there makes 425k. Talk about culture and value. That's big time. Coaches clearly go there to WIN. Not to fleece the constituents and try to double down on contract extensions and raises, but to WIN. 

I am down on Coach L.500 as anyone but I don’t blame him a bit for taking our program’s money.  If they are that stupid it is up to upper leadership to fire the people mismanaging the athletic budget.   We should NEVER be in a position where unloading a mediocre coach for on field performance puts us in budget crunch.   Everything has been in place for this program to be 0.500 in a weak CUSA for his entire tenure.  And the truth is that if Fine doesn’t fall into his lap he wouldn’t be close to 0.500 here and likely not employed here in 2021 or 2022.  He owes Fine an assistant job with a fat check if he gets power hire coaches at another school.  Or may just a fat 100k backpay NIL check from his own pocket.  I first called these extension as stupid when most people were way too happy to be above 0.500 with no Bowl wins or conference titles.  There aren’t a lot of job in the world that pay above 500k so we need to stop conducting business like we are lucky to have a qualified person take our athletic budget dollars.  That freaking atitude is the source of the “bad culture” here NOTHING else.  Stop blaming Denton, our schools history or etc.  If it was all about just history and money the blue blood programs would never have bad stretches.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

34 minutes ago, Ibleedgreen said:

Two Sun Belt Conference schools took out nationally ranked “powers.”

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Sun Belt but what Marshall did has absolutely nothing to do with them being in the sun belt. The team they're putting on the field is not a different team because they joined the Sunbelt over the offseason

• Upvote 2