The App State win today got me thinking

Dannymacfan

48 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I just don’t feel like we are heading anywhere with Littrell.  Just feels like we are treading water.

Yup., but people will be totally content beating up on FCS teams instead of looking at the bigger picture 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

24 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Appalachian leadership simply does not tolerate not being able to compete, so they always get people in place who ensure they can compete. It does not take away from the growth of their university; in fact it has helped their growth alot.

Since 1986 app state has had 2 losing seasons. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Appalachian leadership simply does not tolerate not being able to compete, so they always get people in place who ensure they can compete. It does not take away from the growth of their university; in fact it has helped their growth alot.

When athletics is the main window to your university, you typically see this.

Here, it’s two things: Music/Arts and being convenient/cheap. Not saying that’s wrong, but it certainly is a different approach to showing off your university to others. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Here, it’s two things: Music/Arts and being convenient/cheap. Not saying that’s wrong, but it certainly is a different approach to showing off your university to others. 

I hope you don't own any horses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Has me thinking we do have the offensive talent to do this. If we go away from deep passes, lean on the run game and screens/short throws almost exclusively, and drain the clock, we can do what they did to anybody. We have the backs, receivers, and tight ends for it. We've got the offensive line for it. Maybe SL and Co will realize we need to create an identity that fits our strengths and stick to it which means no more uptempo. Can't keep running 10 plays in 3 to 4 minutes.  Keep the opposing offense off the field so they can't get into a rythm and torch our defense and there's not a team on our schedule we can't beat. Try to out-gun them and we'll be lucky to hit 6.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Totally agree. We need to invest in athletics to showcase our college.  We just made a mistake extending Seth (he let us down;not our fault) and we need to get the right guy this time.  That’s all we need.  This next hire we have to get a national search firm involved and make sure it is the right guy.  

In article today DMN  said App State head coach makes $900,000 per year. While most coaches have used the Mountaineers as a stepping stone they continue to reload. For you youngsters Jerry Moore replaced Hayden Fry and lost as many games as he won. After 2 years he got the Texas Tech job and was fired after a few years.  Moore landed at App. State, built them into a D1AA powerhouse, and established the winning culture that still exists today.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yup., but people will be totally content beating up on FCS teams instead of looking at the bigger picture 

Big picture?  Who could have predicted Aune throwing 55% in another game?  😂.  The 4 touchdown is an anomaly of just having better athletes when they get the ball in their hands.   The beginning of this game looked a lot like the beginning of the SMU game.  TSU’s early big plays just didn’t result in touchdowns.  Their starting QB looked better than ours.  Aune’s throws were off target or late 40% of the time by my generous estimation giving him a benefit of a doubt.   Unless the rest of the teams on our schedule are much worse that I think they are, I don’t see 5 more wins on it.

• Upvote 3

Take off the green glasses and step away from the tainted green punch. 

All of us are being taken as fools by people who have absolutely no affiliation, no love and no pride with our school. They are ripping us off while lining their pockets with money. 

This is the Truth!! 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Has me thinking we do have the offensive talent to do this. If we go away from deep passes, lean on the run game and screens/short throws almost exclusively, and drain the clock, we can do what they did to anybody. We have the backs, receivers, and tight ends for it. We've got the offensive line for it. Maybe SL and Co will realize we need to create an identity that fits our strengths and stick to it which means no more uptempo. Can't keep running 10 plays in 3 to 4 minutes.  Keep the opposing offense off the field so they can't get into a rythm and torch our defense and there's not a team on our schedule we can't beat. Try to out-gun them and we'll be lucky to hit 6.

This.  Time of possession for App St. was 41.5 minutes.  

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Totally agree. We need to invest in athletics to showcase our college.  We just made a mistake extending Seth (he let us down;not our fault) and we need to get the right guy this time.  That’s all we need.  This next hire we have to get a national search firm involved and make sure it is the right guy.  

This is a great idea. And there’s no doubt that the university will gladly say that they have poured millions (on the backs of student fees) into the program and they’re completely right.

But they don’t commit to winning. 

Someone mentioned 1986 for App State, who has had 2 losing seasons between FCS and FBS. In the same time frame, we have had 5 winning seasons as a FCS program and 6 winning seasons as a FBS program. That’s in 36 seasons. 34-11, in favor of App State.

Tell me that isn’t cultural. Tell me that it isn’t because winning matters ONLY to them. 

It’s just not that way here. 

• Thanks 1