Who is responsible for the cameras at Apogee?

TripleGrad

Serious question -- who "owns" the cameras at Apogee?  I noticed during the SMU game that the quality was poor compared to the previous game on CBSSN (UTSA).  I thought maybe CBS was responsible, but today the game looks just as bad on ESPN3.  The sideline cameras aren't bad, but the main camera is located way down on the 25, and is fuzzy.

Is UNT responsible for these feeds?  If so, we need to step up and get decent equipment.  There's no excuse for having broadcasts worse than the regional high schools.

• Upvote 1

The cameras were really pathetic. Each one had different exposure. What appeared to be the "middle" camera had a dirty lens the whole game and was just by far the worst quality of the 3. It was honestly sometimes difficult the track the football when it was being thrown through the air the compression was that bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

Maybe we can get DJ Question Mark to work on that instead of playing music over the PA that is completely inappropriate for a family environment.

I'm usually pretty ok with it, but when I heard these fun lyrics with a bunch of kids sitting around me, I definitely felt differently. 

Your man just left, I'm the plumber tonight, I'll check yo' pipes, oh you the healthy type, Well, here goes some egg whites.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

I'm usually pretty ok with it, but when I heard these fun lyrics with a bunch of kids sitting around me, I definitely felt differently. 

Your man just left, I'm the plumber tonight, I'll check yo' pipes, oh you the healthy type, Well, here goes some egg whites.

Yep. I would prefer a more diverse playlist than just rap, but whatever. But when I heard that, I was amazed at how they allowed that to get played. It seem like the presentation in general has gotten even worse than it used to be the past couple of seasons. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I wish we had one of those spider cameras at Apogee.  Assuming they fix the color/brightness, etc. on the cameras, I think a spider cam would bring a lot to the video presentation.  

We can't even afford decent field cameras, what makes you think we could afford (assuming it's not rental only) a complex system like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0K3XUqZI9w&ab_channel=VirginiaTechAthletics

I've been complaining about our media production team for the past two years... beyond the in-game stuff, our post game recaps and production vids are really bad... we have a top notch RTVF Dept. on campus, meanwhile look at the edits in this video. it looks like a high school sophomore did this an hour before the project was due.

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

We can't even afford decent field cameras, what makes you think we could afford (assuming it's not rental only) a complex system like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0K3XUqZI9w&ab_channel=VirginiaTechAthletics

Hold on a second--I've been overly reassured by many on this board that money IS NOT AN ISSUE. We are keeping SL because we believe in him, not because it would cost $1.3 million to replace him. I'm sure its the same with these cameras, too. Come to think of it, probably with landscaping issues, parking lot attendants, concession stand workers, etc.

We have two home games so far...less than impressive on just about any and every front imaginable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

I've been complaining about our media production team for the past two years... beyond the in-game stuff, our post game recaps and production vids are really bad... we have a top notch RTVF Dept. on campus, meanwhile look at the edits in this video. it looks like a high school sophomore did this an hour before the project was due.

Yikes.   Need to bring down Dave's calls.  Just a tad loud.
There are random 1/2 second clips in-between some of the highlights that makes things very confusing (.54 mark & the following highlight, for example).

7 hours ago, golfingomez said:

This is better

• Upvote 3

As an alum and a fan, I deemed that broadcast unwatchable. I quit watching after 15 minutes. Which is sad. If an active fan and alum can't watch, can you ever imagine a casual fan or even a recruits parents tuning in?

According to my sources, half of those cameras, tripods, and camera controls used are from when Apogee was built in 2011.

The money the Athletic Department has allocated to broadcast has been only at the bare minimum for quite some time. "Whatever gets us on ESPN3". A lot of duct tape solutions by dedicated alums over the years.

They only use student workers on broadcasts like these. Which, like stated above, you get what you pay for.

Now, my sources also confirm there will be a serious upgrade happening to their control room and cameras at some point during this year, but you may not see until early 2023 or next school year. Here's hoping for earlier.

Lastly, according to my sources, once NT joins the American, every football broadcast on ESPN+ will be done by an actual TV truck and NOT done by the athletic department. Which is a good thing.

#GoMeanGreen

• Upvote 1