The Guy I Would Go After For HFC At UNT

DeepGreen

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

Why not? We see what happens when you hire a spoiled P5 coordinator and before that a retired P5 retread. 

Why not a hungry *G5 Coordinator?

Would like to see a G5 or FCS coach who has proven they can bring in transfers. Not saying we won't hit on some but we can't keep going after D2 transfers when our competition is getting G5 level and P5 level transfers

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how many saw the "Nick Saban Witness Protection" segment on College GameDay yesterday but it made me think about what our next steps will probably be. 

In summary, I doubt any P5 failing Scott Frost type is going to see North Texas as the place they want to fall back to and rebuild their career.  Sounds like most young coaches that want potential employers to forget a bad P5 record, would rather take a few years of small paychecks as an analyst, assistant, or positions coach in a proven system than make their next stop at a G5.

• Upvote 3

I'd rather have a proven HC like Patterson. Don't say we shouldn't get a "P5 retread like Danny Mac" because in that case, you're going to run out of former somethings to interview if you use every failed HC we've had as a reason to not hire another of similar experience. Get me Patterson as HC and I wouldn't mind Barbay as OC although I'm sure Patterson has a list of guys he'd been calling as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

does not matter who we want it all comes down to the "17" and their favorite, more than likely will be a friend of one of them or WB. Watch be a pick like Barry Odom or some other middling P5 failing coach, who has a ring from being an assistant. 

With that said we will not have a new coach until the earliest Fall 24', so just sit down and enjoy the ride.

Edited by untbowler
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

23 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Kevin Barbay. 

"Has spent time at Stephen F. Austin, Florida, Colorado State and Lamar during the last decade. He was the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach on Central Michigan head coach Jim McElwain's staff from 2019-20.  He was the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach on Central Michigan head coach Jim McElwain's staff from 2019-20."  I think he has been successful at every G5 stop and Florida.  And I think he was at UNT for a while. 

And he helped make TAMU look silly today.  How the hell did he end up at Ap State?  He comes from a football family and just might want to get back to Texas.

Id be more than happy to get Barbay. His wife and much of her family are Aggies and from Texas so maybe that would help get him to UNT. Just depends if he would want to leave a great job at App State for a rebuild at UNT

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1