Wren's letter was essential but still a load of shit. You suck too Neal!

GreenFlag

8 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

A serous question should be, how much credit do Wren and Neal deserve for the move to AAC or was it timing with the  conference shifts and location of the school with easy travel? Did the AAC come looking? 

I'm not sure of the answer your question.

I know that as Memphis watches Houston, Cincinnati and UCF move to the Big 12 - Memphis fans are probably an angry bunch of people wondering why they did not get an invite.

If I were an upset Memphis fan, I would blame administration.

If we had stayed in CUSA with Sam Houston while UTSA got an invite - I could probably tell you who I would want to see fired pretty quickly.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

A quick note to the clowns reading this that can't handle any criticism: I believe Wren and Neal are both a big net positive. Ok?

Now on to the rant.

Wren had to send the email, ok? There was no fantastical epiphany on accountability. Wren did his job really, really bad on Saturday. This has happened before. Not only has this happened under Wren before, but this EXACT SAME BULLSHIT happened under RV. And oh yeah, under a different President as well.

We are either unable or unwilling to pull our collective heads out of our collective asses.

For those of you in the "just get there earlier" or "it didn't happen to me" crowd, I wish you would consider a few things.

I wish you would empathize with those who had significant issues on Saturday. These are significant issues for some, not all. They are still significant issues. They really happened. These issues are serious enough to drive potential fans away forever. An answer of "just get there earlier" or "it didn't happen to me" only hurts in finding a solution to this bullshit. It's the same old shit.

Our AD is one of the highest paid ADs in the country. Yes, country. Like top 30ish. I expect him to document and resolve issues like these for all future ADs. This is basic job responsibility stuff. Again, it's the same old shit. We gave a negative gameday experience to some potential fans who will never, ever come back.

Not only am I pointing the finger at the AD, but I'm also pointing the finger at Neal. Hey Doc, act like you're smart and find a solution to this.

You two are capable of great things but the amount of ego and selfishness is appalling. It's almost as if you two don't give a douchebag about the future as long as you look good now. It's almost as if you want to make the guy following you have a tougher job, so your legacy looks better.

You two receive well deserved praise in a lot of areas but both of you get a resounding "F" in change management. So do your predecessors. Just 100% terrible. Change management is a real thing and you should really look into it.

Neither of you will be around forever but you need to act in a responsible manner. You need to find solutions AND put systems in place to ensure this never happens again...whomever is the AD or University President. I know it doesn't fulfill your selfish needs right now, but it is the right thing to do.

I don't give Wren or Neal a pass. This is just the same old shit. Wren and Neal, c'mon fella's we like you! Now it's time to get your shit together. 

This is a tough rant for sure and I was ready to give it a Down Vote...but...After separating my utter disappointment and frustration at how badly the Mean Green got thrashed by smu - I mean they made us look bad.  I knew when my son and I were driving in to the stadium that something didn’t smell right.  Been going to NT games for years, but parking WAS A MESS GOING IN.  Inside the stadium, scoreboards, concession issues. This was not a great showing for my university.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

My God, this is as bad as me hearing the couple behind me say that the best part about coming to a UNT game was the Green Brigade marching at halftime…

Vomit…

Uh, were these people wrong?   Just read through a few threads on here, and I'd come to the conclusion that the GB was the best part of the game.
UNT is a "Music School".  The fact that you get a pretty nice chunk of fans showing up on gameday just to watch the GB isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 5

You can’t control what the concession workers wear. We are just lucky to have concession workers. 

If someone likes the Green Brigade more than the football, good. Their kid is probably in the Green Brigade. Need more of those parents to attend. 

I arrived off the highway on campus a full one hour before the game with my blue parking pass (that I donate extra to the MGSF to secure) and my two sons. We sat in traffic and finally made to park in the dirt. We missed the first two series of the game. That is the part I am disappointed about. 

Of course, I would have probably forgiven it all with a win over SMU.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

Over the past three years we have gained more students than any school in Texas, compare that against many schools that are actually losing students. Tons of great things going on at the University as a whole. For the AD there was clearly room to improve and I will see how things play out this Saturday before making knee jerk reactions.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

You can’t control what the concession workers wear. We are just lucky to have concession workers. 

If someone likes the Green Brigade more than the football, good. Their kid is probably in the Green Brigade. Need more of those parents to attend. 

I arrived off the highway on campus a full one hour before the game with my blue parking pass (that I donate extra to the MGSF to secure) and my two sons. We sat in traffic and finally made to park in the dirt. We missed the first two series of the game. That is the part I am disappointed about. 

Of course, I would have probably forgiven it all with a win over SMU.

Well now, they could have been supplied with hats and shirts that support UNT. You know a simple type of uniform, meaning they all wear the same brand.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, untphd said:

Well now, they could have been supplied with hats and shirts that support UNT. You know a simple type of uniform, meaning they all wear the same brand.

For sure.   
But I don't mind the Guyer Choir or Ryan Tennis, etc... volunteers in there repping their organizations either.   Whoever is in charge of the concession stands should have this kind of communication going out to those organizations prior to gameday.   

And on gameday, do a walkthrough as the gates are opening to check on what your concessions stands look like (then do it again early in the 3rd quarter) and make sure there are no surprises.  Make sure all of the stands have everything they need.   Out of Coke syrup?   Find some more & get them back up & running.
Don't just hang out in the HUB Club fraternizing like your work for the week is done and now it's time to relax & enjoy.    No!  Your work has just begun!   
Not saying they should work all the way through the game non-stop.  Take some time to enjoy the game, for sure!   Just also take some time to check on the fruits of your week-long labor, and make sure it's not failing.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Meh. I enjoy what I do. 

However, I knew a SJW such as yourself would come sprinting to make a comment on my post. Enjoy. 

Proudly devaluing your own degree to own the libs should probably make you more upset than it does, but I’m truly glad you’re happy. Speaking of buzzwords, you’re hopefully not quiet quitting on your employer with all these daytime posts. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Proudly devaluing your own degree to own the libs should probably make you more upset than it does, but I’m truly glad you’re happy. Speaking of buzzwords, you’re hopefully not quiet quitting on your employer with all these daytime posts. 

I didn't take you as a Gen Z-er. You seem older. 

• Haha 2

Back to the original conversation. I think Wren's letter points to a bigger issue overall for him and UNT athletics as a whole. They're almost always reactive, rather than proactive. We hold on to coaches too long, we wait for the dumpster fire to happen before we make a notable change. 

The problem is being proactive can sometimes put you in between a rock and a hard place. Much like giving Seth Littrell a massive extension/raise when in reality all of his success was because of Fine and Harrell. 

It's the home opener against a perceived rival. It's gonna be one of the highest attended games of the year. He should've prepared for it

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Back to the original conversation. I think Wren's letter points to a bigger issue overall for him and UNT athletics as a whole. They're almost always reactive, rather than proactive. We hold on to coaches too long, we wait for the dumpster fire to happen before we make a notable change. 

The problem is being proactive can sometimes put you in between a rock and a hard place. Much like giving Seth Littrell a massive extension/raise when in reality all of his success was because of Fine and Harrell. 

It's the home opener against a perceived rival. It's gonna be one of the highest attended games of the year. He should've prepared for it

Excellent observations!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

The biggest problem we have always had here (except for Dan McCarney getting fired and bought immediately after the worst loss in modern college football history) is that we only fire bad coaches when the buyout is very, very limited or even zero.  I’ve seen us hold on to Dickey well beyond his usefulness here, complaining about this place anytime he could while running an offense that put people to sleep. Vic Trilli was the worst basketball coach we ever had, so we gave him a 4th year to show us if he could somehow be different from his first 3 years. He didn’t by us winning less than 5 games IIRC and we avoided a buyout (yay!!). Same with Todd Dodge in football, except he had an extra year on his contract we did buyout, which we agreed to do after he had won 5 games in 31 chances in his first 3 seasons. He rewarded that loyalty by winning 1 more game in 7 chances in his affordable fireable year. Tony Benford got all 5 years on a contract to just about crush a budding program he took over in year 1 and by year 5 was just sparing everyone to death here. Now, we have Seth Littell getting a last chance to keep his job here because we would only be buying out one year (granted it’s at a huge price for this place), as well as making sure he gets the easiest chance of all time here to “earn” an extension. And God help us if we let him go into next year in a final year of a contact, the recruiting here will be on par with Howard Payne or Angelo State. That would be the moment that Wren Baker and Neal Smatresk would show that they just don’t care, either. But I doubt there’s any chance that would happen…right?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

So are you happy and content after SMUt embarrassment?

You'll have to further define "happy and content"  I plan on being in my season ticket seats tomorrow to watch my favorite team play.  Nobody is happy with the loss to SMU, so you can put the lame straw man attempt to rest.

• Upvote 2

On 9/8/2022 at 4:41 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Yeah, screw them for being happy about getting us into the best conference we've ever been in! These guys suck!

I can't believe some of the stuff I read on this forum...smh

Seriously?

Since when does being business like, professional, gracious and humble say one can’t be happy? 

Maybe if they would have saved their self congratulatory pride fest celebration for a private time, realizing getting into the AAC was not the end goal but only an opportunity, working instead on making the program worthy of such admission to the AAC we wouldn’t have witnessed that pathetic display of bush league mediocrity last week both on and off the field. 

Maybe instead they could have signaled to all of us that they mean business about competing and winning in football in the AAC. 

Of course, bringing in D2 players when your competition is recruiting P5 transfers doesn’t bode well for future success whatever D1 conference you’re a member of. 

And why was Littrell lurking in the shadows? 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Eye Roll 1