DRC prediction: UNT will get off the mat after tough loss to SMU, roll past Texas Southern

Brett Vito

We really need to see the ball thrown around a lot in this game.   We can't just score a bunch leaning on the run game the whole time.  That's a strength of the team.  We already know what we have in the run game.   

This kind of game is one you use to work out issues.   We clearly have issues passing the ball.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We really need to see the ball thrown around a lot in this game.   We can't just score a bunch leaning on the run game the whole time.  That's a strength of the team.  We already know what we have in the run game.   

This kind of game is one you use to work out issues.   We clearly have issues passing the ball.  

Agreed. It will be very telling if we don't have a 60% completion or higher.

Even if we're up big. Like yeah it's the dick thing to do, but I want to see them throw the ball 50 times

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I could not agree with this more. Last year we threw it around a fair amount against Northwestern State and it was clear that we weren’t very adept at it and would look bad against SMU. We need to throw it a ton and it needs to look clean. If it doesn’t, make adjustments in game whether that means trying different quarterbacks or different receivers. None of this outathlete-ing people, we need to out-technique them so we are better prepared for the rest of our schedule.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Even if we're up big. Like yeah it's the dick thing to do, but I want to see them throw the ball 50 times

100%! Sorry TSU but this is about preparing for the rest of our season, enjoy your check.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Sorry. Last week SMU destroyed us. They could have easily put 65+ points on the board. 

Beating up on Texas Southern really doesn’t do anything for me and really doesn’t mean anything as well. Big deal. What are we suppose to say? 
“Boy, we showed them” 

It isn’t about showing anybody anything. It is about trying to make our passing game better in live game action.

Our running backs making them look silly does nothing to help us improve for the rest of the season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Well gee, that shouldn’t be too difficult against inferior competition. Right? 

That is the whole point. We are a running team but we need to take the opportunity against a lesser team to clean up our passing game so it will better compliment our running game in conference play.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

6E96E7EA-B596-440B-BA82-E49EEE80DFBE.jpeg

• Upvote 3

@Cr1028 I couldn't agree more with all the things you said, for once.

Ideally, I'd like to see Aune for 2-3 series and then play Gunnell until the 4th quarter. Then the 3rd string. Passes only. Only things our running backs should be doing is pass blocking or catching passes. No handoffs. If we can't beat TSU without leaning on our run game, the problem may be worst than we all realize.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Ideally, I'd like to see Aune for 2-3 series and then play Gunnell until the 4th quarter. Then the 3rd string. Passes only. Only things our running backs should be doing is pass blocking or catching passes. No handoffs. If we can't beat TSU without leaning on our run game, the problem may be worst than we all realize.

cheers-party.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

For us, running the ball 50 times would be the dick thing to do😁

I say that joking, but it’s true, especially  with our running back depth.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Do you think Aune only needs 2-3 series' worth of work?     I don't.
If he kills it in the first half (like a stat-line of 250+/4/0, 60+%comp), maybe trot Gunnell out there in the 2nd half sometime.   
But the whole idea behind throwing the ball around on TSU is to get your 1's together on the same page.   Because right now, the 1's don't look good in passing situations.   

If we're having to rely on moving the chains by running the ball VS TSU (Something we already know we can do with ease), we're in serious trouble for the remainder of the season. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Do you think Aune only needs 2-3 series' worth of work?     I don't.
If he kills it in the first half (like a stat-line of 250+/4/0, 60+%comp), maybe trot Gunnell out there in the 2nd half sometime.   
But the whole idea behind throwing the ball around on TSU is to get your 1's together on the same page.   Because right now, the 1's don't look good in passing situations.   

If we're having to rely on moving the chains by running the ball VS TSU (Something we already know we can do with ease), we're in serious trouble for the remainder of the season. 

This is probably my bias showing but yeah, I think Aune should only get that much playing time against Texas Southern. To me, it's not about what he needs because I think this is just who he is at this point. He just turned 29 and this is his 3rd year in the system. I'm not sure he's capable of much better. The way he plays is as if he was thrown in after just arriving 2 months before the season started. I want our 2nd and 3rd stringers to get as much playing time as possible this game to see what they can do for this year in case Aune gets pulled or hurt and for next year when he's gone.

Frankly, and this is likely just my hopefulness clouding my thoughts, but I think we'll definitely see more of the *other* guys than we do of him this game. Going back to last year, game 3 is when Aune took over for Ruder and it was also the next game after the SMU loss. I'm not sure Aune is a lock to finish the season as the starter right now.

Edit: to add about getting the 1s on the same page. There's nothing about Aune's time here to suggest his bad performance is due to needing more playing time with the 1s.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I would like to see this too but doesn't feel like something that is in Littrell's wheel house. Bet we only see Aune and maybe Gunnell at most

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Frankly, and this is likely just my hopefulness clouding my thoughts, but I think we'll definitely see more of the *other* guys than we do of him this game. Going back to last year, game 3 is when Aune took over for Ruder and it was also the next game after the SMU loss. I'm not sure Aune is a lock to finish the season as the starter right now.

Sorry to be contrarian with you again but Ruder was still the starter through the first quarter of game four. Aune got his first start at Mizzou in game five coming off a bye week.

23 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Sorry to be contrarian with you again but Ruder was still the starter through the first quarter of game four. Aune got his first start at Mizzou in game five coming off a bye week.

Getting the start is irrelevant. Aune took over against UAB with 7 minutes left in the first quarter and finished out the first half. Ruder played the second half but Aune had more passing attempts (21 attempts vs 13, probably because Ruder couldn’t sustain a drive.). In Game 4 against LA Tech, Ruder threw 10 passes despite being named the starter to Aune's 27. In that LaTech game, Aune took over the 4th or 5th drive (I believe early 2nd quarter) and finished out the game. I don't care who's officially listed as the starter, Ruder was not longer *the guy* starting with UAB, confirmed during LaTech, and official against Missouri.

Edited by GMG_Dallas