Big 12's expansion strategy is about 'going out west' (Smut need not apply!)

NT80

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not hyping up any game. Not to be too lady like, but using transitive properties, SMU plays exceptionally well vs UNT most years. 

No.  UNT is genuinely outmatched at virtually every position on the field and the score reflects that significant talent gap.  Doesn't matter if its at Ford or Apogee.  Better players typically win the game.

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They might end up in the PAC 12; but not today's PAC 12. 

Would not be surprised to see a small group of the current PAC 12 (Cal/Oregon State/Washington State) merge with the MWC and keep the name PAC 12. This might be the PAC 12 that SMU joins.

4 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

This guy gets it.

He's into something, maybe. But that won't be a strong conference. Marginally better than the current AAC, and that might be a reach. That is the absolute bottom dwellers of the PAC. If they played a proper home/home schedule vs a G5 schedule I'm not sure their record would drasticslly improve in comparison to their normal PAC records, even if at all. 

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

No.  UNT is genuinely outmatched at virtually every position on the field and the score reflects that significant talent gap.  Doesn't matter if its at Ford or Apogee.  Better players typically win the game.

Then yall should probably stop losing to the Tulsas, ECUs and Navys of the world. And better start stomping the Texas States, Astates of the world. You guys stuff us into our locker and make us like it every year. And squeek by or lose to the aforementioned, every year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Then yall should probably stop losing to the Tulsas, ECUs and Navys of the world. And better start stomping the Texas States, Astates of the world. You guys stuff us into our locker and make us like it every year. And squeek by or lose to the aforementioned, every year. 

Which means we can’t really talk $hit when it comes to them. We have made it to where we have to hide under the skirts of the teams you mentioned BECAUSE we literally crap our pants when we see them on the field.

I like the idea of playing SMU. It looks on paper like it should make sense. Yet, it’s as one-sided as can be. Most of the time, when we get our asses beat by them, the rest of the season blows. It’s obvious that the letdown amongst everyone in our program and the fanbase just cower down afterwards. It’s like we are made to sit in the corner. Until we change that, this program really won’t ever get any better, especially after we are AAC mates.

Its beyond embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Which means we can’t really talk $hit when it comes to them. We have made it to where we have to hide under the skirts of the teams you mentioned BECAUSE we literally crap our pants when we see them on the field.

I like the idea of playing SMU. It looks on paper like it should make sense. Yet, it’s as one-sided as can be. Most of the time, when we get our asses beat by them, the rest of the season blows. It’s obvious that the letdown amongst everyone in our program and the fanbase just cower down afterwards. It’s like we are made to sit in the corner. Until we change that, this program really won’t ever get any better, especially after we are AAC mates.

Its beyond embarrassing. 

No one is hiding under any skirts. I pointed your first little paragraph out in this topic discussion. We get mauled by SMU. SMU then proceeds to get into bare knuckled fist fights with other teams that are very similar to us in talent and the perceptual pecking order. I think playing SMU is good for both brands if our brand could ever rise to the occasion and be competitive. We haven't been, at all. So, this series has been way more advantageous for them. Now, we have to play them in conference every year. Yay us. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I am not buying that we can't compete with SMU. They view us as a must win and we piss down our leg every year we play them. Last year they lost to Tulsa, UH, Memphis and got obliterated by a good Cincy team. They beat LaTech by a couple points. 

Year before: The week before SMU played us they beat TXST by a TD then turned around and dropped 65 on us. Let Navy hang around (and Navy hadn't been very good lately). Lost to both Tulsa (again) and ECU. 

2019: Yeah, they won 10 games. Smoked us, of course. Eked out a W vs Arkansas State. Barely beat Tulsa. Barely beat ECU. Lost to Navy. Spanked by FAU. 

2018: Beat us by almost 4 TD's and turned around and lost 7 games. 

I could go on and on. They are not that good. They (their coaching staffs over the years) clearly hype up this game to their players. They play hard and fast vs us and they view us as a can't lose, as stated. Also as stated, we fill up our cleats with urine. I'm just not buying it. 

Bless you.  Great post.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Billy Clyde said:

Yeah, TTU, Baylor, Houston, and TCU want nothing to do with SMU.

What a shock.

There's a lot of truth to that. Reading the Baylor and Frog boards, they say that Tech, TCU and Baylor will try and blackball SMU, because of recruiting. You can see their point, if you follow recruiting for those teams, SMU has beat all three of those schools for recruits in the last few years. Their fear is, what would happen if they're in the same league.

• Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They might end up in the PAC 12; but not today's PAC 12. 

Would not be surprised to see a small group of the current PAC 12 (Cal/Oregon State/Washington State) merge with the MWC and keep the name PAC 12. This might be the PAC 12 that SMU joins.

This is indeed the future for the PAC 12, but there's real value in the name.  Certain conferences are written into the NCAA rules as being more than equal, and the PAC 12 is one of them.  So regardless of membership, it remains a "P5" conference.  Much like the Big 12.

SMU (and UNT) hopes for a P5 berth run through a raided PAC 12 right now.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

17 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I like the idea of playing SMU. It looks on paper like it should make sense.

It will be a great rivalry for UNT when we make it one on the field. It was starting to look like one in 2014 when we were .500 in the previous six games, including a 43-6 stomping that year. Then McCarney and Littrell went 1-8.

I don't think losing to SMU has more impact than any other non-conference opponent, aside from fans hating it more. The road to success in any season still goes through the conference. UNT has to win those games and vie for a conference championship.

There are 36,000 reason it is hard to compete with SMUT, even the walk-ons get that payday.   I am just wondering if we will see teams "firing" of non performers or under performers.   Seems hard to believe they would continue to pay for dead weight.  What if a player gets injured and can no longer pay the game.  

This will be interesting because the schools recruits them but the NIL pays them.   What if the NIL says get rid of this guy to the school and the school says no he is on scholarship.   When the students figure the players are getting paid and a free education, housing and they are in debt going to school their maybe a revolt.  The big schools that draw well will survive. They have more seats to sell to the general public.  

SMUT is a well paid team and it will be difficult to compete with them.   I bet the skill payers at SMUT are getting more.   How else can SMUT out recruit TCU, Baylor and Tech?    It all about money now.   College football has been ruined unless they can come up where all the teams are able to pay the same amount for players.  

What made college so great in the past was a somewhat level playing field.  Small schools could upset bigger schools. Now with the NIL that will be more difficult.   

SMUT will stop looking at UNT type players because they can go big game shopping.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rcade said:

It will be a great rivalry for UNT when we make it one on the field. It was starting to look like one in 2014 when we were .500 in the previous six games, including a 43-6 stomping that year. Then McCarney and Littrell went 1-8.

I don't think losing to SMU has more impact than any other non-conference opponent, aside from fans hating it more. The road to success in any season still goes through the conference. UNT has to win those games and vie for a conference championship.

The key to NT getting more serious about the product on the field is getting more serious about the HC position!

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

There are 36,000 reason it is hard to compete with SMUT, even the walk-ons get that payday.   I am just wondering if we will see teams "firing" of non performers or under performers.   Seems hard to believe they would continue to pay for dead weight.  What if a player gets injured and can no longer pay the game.

NIL deals can't require that the athlete play or contain performance incentives or benchmarks. All the athlete has to do to get the money is to endorse the business or product paying him.

Injured LSU quarterback Myles Brennan quit football after signing NIL deals with five businesses in 2021. He never played a game after signing the deals. He gets to keep the money.

Every SMU player could transfer to UNT a week later and keep the $36,000. We should fly a banner over their stadium letting them know this.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rcade said:

NIL deals can't require that the athlete play or contain performance incentives or benchmarks. All the athlete has to do to get the money is to endorse the business or product paying him.

Injured LSU quarterback Myles Brennan quit football after signing NIL deals with five businesses in 2021. He never played a game after signing the deals. He gets to keep the money.

Every SMU player could transfer to UNT a week later and keep the $36,000. We should fly a banner over their stadium letting them know this.

Banners have been known to be effective in the past…

• Haha 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, rcade said:

Most programs have 5 month contracts with players for the nil, I would assume SMU has something similar.