Big 12's expansion strategy is about 'going out west' (Smut need not apply!)

NT80

"Obviously, going out west is where I would like to go, entering that fourth time zone," Yormark said Wednesday.

He added of the Big 12's wish list: "A program that has national recognition, one that competes at the highest level in basketball and football, stands for the right things, is a good cultural fit."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34544151/commissioner-brett-yormark-says-big-12-expansion-strategy-going-west

• Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I’m torn because we cannot compete with SMU it makes me wish the hey would leave.

No most here would rather them stay in the same conference with us and kick our asses every year and then be able to complain about what we're doing wrong

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I am not buying that we can't compete with SMU. They view us as a must win and we piss down our leg every year we play them. Last year they lost to Tulsa, UH, Memphis and got obliterated by a good Cincy team. They beat LaTech by a couple points. 

Year before: The week before SMU played us they beat TXST by a TD then turned around and dropped 65 on us. Let Navy hang around (and Navy hadn't been very good lately). Lost to both Tulsa (again) and ECU. 

2019: Yeah, they won 10 games. Smoked us, of course. Eked out a W vs Arkansas State. Barely beat Tulsa. Barely beat ECU. Lost to Navy. Spanked by FAU. 

2018: Beat us by almost 4 TD's and turned around and lost 7 games. 

I could go on and on. They are not that good. They (their coaching staffs over the years) clearly hype up this game to their players. They play hard and fast vs us and they view us as a can't lose, as stated. Also as stated, we fill up our cleats with urine. I'm just not buying it. 

Yup, but Littrell football constantly has us thinking they are the Number 1 team in the country by how badly we constantly get smacked by them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Keep in mind that the players who are there now were not drawn in by the Collective. Now that does not mean SMU boosters did not pay them under the table, we know that history. We most likely will not be able to but players like them.

But they have always been out recruiting us. I'm sure it makes a smidgen of difference, but those same P5 rejects were going to fall to them or a program like them anyway. 

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

SMU does not have a real difficult schedule ahead of them.  Cinn and Houston look like the toughest teams on their schedule.

Face value, sure. But they'll struggle and/or get beat by X, Y and Z teams as usual. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I am not buying that we can't compete with SMU. They view us as a must win and we piss down our leg every year we play them. Last year they lost to Tulsa, UH, Memphis and got obliterated by a good Cincy team. They beat LaTech by a couple points. 

Year before: The week before SMU played us they beat TXST by a TD then turned around and dropped 65 on us. Let Navy hang around (and Navy hadn't been very good lately). Lost to both Tulsa (again) and ECU. 

2019: Yeah, they won 10 games. Smoked us, of course. Eked out a W vs Arkansas State. Barely beat Tulsa. Barely beat ECU. Lost to Navy. Spanked by FAU. 

I could go on and on. They are not that good. They (their coaching staffs over the years) clearly hype up this game to their players. They play hard and fast vs us and they view us as a can't lose, as stated. Also as stated, we fill up our cleats with urine. I'm just not buying it. 

The scariest part about this all is that SMU really doesn't have to get their guys fired up to play us--we get so intimidated and freak out as soon as the team sees a Mustang on the helmet.

Thats the sign of a very weak minded team. SMU has annihilated us pretty much every year since 2018. But we have given them so many easy wins by just cowering on the field. Its really pathetic. But then again, getting motor-boated at your place by them and then a few days later, start a thread about how they aren't a target for the big 12 as if that should be some pride point around here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The scariest part about this all is that SMU really doesn't have to get their guys fired up to play us--we get so intimidated and freak out as soon as the team sees a Mustang on the helmet.

Thats the sign of a very weak minded team. SMU has annihilated us pretty much every year since 2018. But we have given them so many easy wins by just cowering on the field. Its really pathetic. But then again, getting motor-boated at your place by them and then a few days later, start a thread about how they aren't a target for the big 12 as if that should be some pride point around here. 

Normally I would disagree with you on this but with our very best wide receiver fumbling the ball you are probably correct.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

But then again, getting motor-boated at your place by them and then a few days later, start a thread about how they aren't a target for the big 12 as if that should be some pride point around here. 

Smut considers themselves above us and in prime position for a P5 invite.  This article simply shows they are not wanted by the Big12, no matter how much NIL $$ or other infrastructure they have.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Smut considers themselves above us and in prime position for a P5 invite.  This article simply shows they are not wanted by the Big12, no matter how much NIL $$ or other infrastructure they have.  

Why post about this now? Its a bad look. We just got our asses completely kicked all over Denton by them. We look like we won't be anywhere close to competing with them anytime in the future because of that NIL.

It'd be like them getting demolished by TCU, then someone from SMU posting about the fact that TCU isn't a target of the B1G or SEC. It just looks real bad.

SMU owns way too much space in our heads. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

25 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

the Big12 and Pac12 are no longer on the same level as the Big10, SEC, and even the ACC.  Maybe what they should do is have a soft merger, primarily with football, where every school gets 1 or 2 games against schools in the other conference.  

No doubt the SEC and BIG10 are on a different level. Outside Clemson, not sure the ACC is a better conference than the Bid 12

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We will never compete against SMU NIL money. This would be true of most Big 12 programs!

All Smut’s NIL money may get them some good athletes but won’t get them a P5 invite.  Other factors are much bigger considerations than how much $$ boosters have. 

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Normally, and I sincerely mean this...In the past, I'm right there with you...There is absolutely NO reason we cant beat SMU, none...I get it... And your'e correct in all that math = "they ain't all that..."   Agreed agreed agreed..... We can all cite these types of numbers, statistics, who they played the week before, the week after, how much they won by, etc etc....God knows I've done that EXACT same thing since I graduated in 1989...  

But, to be clear, and I believe this....SMU is not beating UNT....UNT is losing to SMU, and there's a big difference.    Are we capable of having more points on the scoreboard when the clock hits zero?  Absolutely.     But can we?  Where I sit, watching the coaching stuff/admin seem to prepare and game-plan against SMU, I wouldn't bet on it.   We mostly seem to look unprepared, coupled with poor play calling...(And before anyone chimes in, yes, I'm completely aware, and have attend some of the handful of games where we won...)   Still, 6 times in 100 years....Over 100 years, that's copious amounts of different players, coaches, assistant coaches, Admin, stadiums, guys that pick up jock-straps...The constant in life is change...It's really never the same team year after year is it?,

Yet, UNT loses,  C   O   N    S   I   S   T   A   N   T   L   Y.       Here's a dose of reality...Isn't it great the few times you can recall that we beat them?   Brace yourself for this....Imagine....Justtttttttttttttttttttttttttttt imagine, if we actually did that...Two years in a row...Yes, I know, all crazy talk, that would take unicorns and voo-doo to pull off....The truth is, winning a game shouldn't be that hard...Winning 2 years in a row, we'd feel like we wont the lottery, but it STILL shouldn't be this impossible.

6 wins in 100 years = They're not beating us...We're losing to them.   

And until someone at UNT steps up, takes ownership of what this COULD mean to us, in the metroplex, with image and God forbid, not to mention RECRUITING, then I say don't play them.  Don't talk about Billboards, dont talk about the "Safeway Bowl", none of that BS. 

STOP LOSING TO THEM...I know we're all in the AAC next year, but we didnt know that back when we scheduled a series with SMU a few years back that was supposed to last through 2026 +/-.  Why would we sign up for something that long term that we're not going to take VERY seriously?

And start with the down-votes, I can take it...

• Ray 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

lol.  Hype up this game.  Please.  SMU is UNT's Super Bowl.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They might end up in the PAC 12; but not today's PAC 12. 

Would not be surprised to see a small group of the current PAC 12 (Cal/Oregon State/Washington State) merge with the MWC and keep the name PAC 12. This might be the PAC 12 that SMU joins.

This guy gets it.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2