Quarterbacks

Cr1028

I wanted get @Fan10’s perspective of all the quarterbacks since they are close to the program but haven’t heard anything so I figured since quarterbacks are usually controversial here, I’d like to see what we think each quarterback’s greatest strength and weakness are. I know @GMG_Dallasand are going to have vastly different opinions but I will start us off. These are my opinions based on what I’ve seen of them since they have been in Denton. Yours will likely be different. That’s what makes it fun.

Aune:

Greatest strength-quick decision making

Greatest weakness-timing/accuracy of the deep ball

Gunnell:

Greatest strength-height

Greatest weakness-panic under pressure 

Ruder:

Greatest strength-arm strength

Greatest weakness-anxiety in the pocket/hesitancy to flee the pocket(similar to Gunnell but Ruder is more escapable, he just needs more confidence)

Earle:

Greatest strength-escapability

Greatest weakness-height

Head:

I don’t recall seeing footage of him so it wouldn’t be fair for me to guess.

If I were to assess the now departed Kason Martin who some think would’ve been better than we have now, I’d say

Greatest strength-motivator

Greatest weakness-arm strength 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Martin you can add accuracy. watched him on tv.  hit his receivers on stride in shot passes and long passes.  

Transfer junior quarterback Kason Martin made it difficult for the Cowboys defense to keep rhythm as he threw 27-for-34 for 314 yards and three touchdowns.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Martin you can add accuracy. watch him on tv.  hit his receivers on stride in shot passes and long passes.  

He's referring to their time in Denton only and I do understand his reason for only looking at their time in Denton even if I think it's missing the big picture of what these guys are capable of. If you're looking at them as a whole, Gunnell sports a 66% career completion percentage on 253 passes with a 15/3 TD to interception. Accuracy would be a strength for him overall but this is about what they've done here and only here.

Edit: Well I guess I'm wrong since he's added Martin but is using this year to evaluate him even though he's gone. My apologies. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I wanted get @Fan10’s perspective of all the quarterbacks since they are close to the program but haven’t heard anything so I figured since quarterbacks are usually controversial here, I’d like to see what we think each quarterback’s greatest strength and weakness are. I know @GMG_Dallasand are going to have vastly different opinions but I will start us off. These are my opinions based on what I’ve seen of them since they have been in Denton. Yours will likely be different. That’s what makes it fun.

Aune:

Greatest strength-quick decision making

Greatest weakness-timing/accuracy of the deep ball

Gunnell:

Greatest strength-height

Greatest weakness-panic under pressure 

Ruder:

Greatest strength-arm strength

Greatest weakness-anxiety in the pocket/hesitancy to flee the pocket(similar to Gunnell but Ruder is more escapable, he just needs more confidence)

Earle:

Greatest strength-escapability

Greatest weakness-height

Head:

I don’t recall seeing footage of him so it wouldn’t be fair for me to guess.

If I were to assess the now departed Kason Martin who some think would’ve been better than we have now, I’d say

Greatest strength-motivator

Greatest weakness-arm strength 

What are you basing your assessments on of Gunnell, Earle and Head?

• Upvote 6

I saw every QB but Gunnells in a couple of spring scrimmages.  I think I rated them Aune, Earl, Head and Ruder.

When I saw Gunnells in a couple of fall scrimmages I was unimpressed. After Saturday that view hasn't changed. I don't get a sense of confidence/command on his part. In fact, he looks.....well...tentative.

Earle seems pretty confident in what he is doing.  But in the spring, I think he pressed too hard and made too many mistakes as a result.

Head seemed like someone who knew what he was doing, but I didn't get to see him run things very much. 

Ruder is a real puzzle to me. It's clear that he has a strong arm, and of all the QB's he seems the fastest when he takes off on a run. But my overall feeling is that he just doesn't take the job seriously enough. 

Now, if you could transfer Mason Fine's level of confidence to all of these guys, the situation would be much different. People always talk about his arm, but to me his greatest asset was his confidence. It was always clear that he was the guy in charge when he was out on the field. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SilverEagle said:

Now, if you could transfer Mason Fine's level of confidence to all of these guys, the situation would be much different. People always talk about his arm, but to me his greatest asset was his confidence. It was always clear that he was the guy in charge when he was out on the field. 

Thank for for the insight I deleted above.

Regarding the quote above:

B-I-N-G-O  B-I-N-G-O  B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-O.

7 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I saw every QB but Gunnells in a couple of spring scrimmages.  I think I rated them Aune, Earl, Head and Ruder.

When I saw Gunnells in a couple of fall scrimmages I was unimpressed. After Saturday that view hasn't changed. I don't get a sense of confidence/command on his part. In fact, he looks.....well...tentative.

Earle seems pretty confident in what he is doing.  But in the spring, I think he pressed too hard and made too many mistakes as a result.

Head seemed like someone who knew what he was doing, but I didn't get to see him run things very much. 

Ruder is a real puzzle to me. It's clear that he has a strong arm, and of all the QB's he seems the fastest when he takes off on a run. But my overall feeling is that he just doesn't take the job seriously enough. 

Thank you. Very nicely laid out.

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Edit: Well I guess I'm wrong since he's added Martin but is using this year to evaluate him even though he's gone. My apologies. 

I was basing Martin on what I saw of him while here. I only added him because some say he’d have been good here because he is good at Mazin Richards old school.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

What are you basing your assessments on of Gunnell, Earle and Head?

Gunnell based on camp clips and game 2. Earle based on camp clips. I didn’t give a greatest positive and negative on Head because I didn’t see him in camp clips.

He's referring to their time in Denton only and I do understand his reason for only looking at their time in Denton even if I think it's missing the big picture of what these guys are capable of. If you're looking at them as a whole, Gunnell sports a 66% career completion percentage on 253 passes with a 15/3 TD to interception. Accuracy would be a strength for him overall but this is about what they've done here and only here.

You can don’t have to do the same as I did, you can include what they did elsewhere just make it film based not just game highlights and stats. Riley Dodge had a phenomenal completion percentage but we still had trouble getting in the endzone with him at quarterback.

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You can don’t have to do the same as I did, you can include what they did elsewhere just make it film based not just game highlights and stats. Riley Dodge had a phenomenal completion percentage but we still had trouble getting in the endzone with him at quarterback.

I don't comment on the other backups because I haven't seen film on them. I didn't watch Ruder's games last year due to work. I've watched several of Gunnell's Arizona highlights (full game not just the good plays) as well as his Rivals recruitment analysis. He's more mobile than he looks and can squeeze some throws-in but their offense was mainly focused on screens and quick short passes. From what I've seen, his biggest issue is some passes can get away a bit in that he still gets it to his receiver but could stand to place it where the receiver could get more YAC. Often times, they were well-placed and well-timed though. The other criticism I have is I think he stands tall in the pocket for a bit too long which can be good to make a passing plays deep but doesn't always feel the pressure well. Hard to judge considering how bad Arizona was when he was there. It did appear as games went on, he'd get tired of getting hit and would make plays with his legs.

Finally, I think he has the talent but I'm worried about how much coaching he's had since high school. He started some as a true freshman in 2019, including a 352 yard passing game on 66% completion (44 passes) in his first career start against UCLA. Arizona won that game and he was the pac 12 freshman of the week. He played more throughout the year seemingly determined by Khalil Tate's health. 2020 was a covid year so they only played 4 games and practice was limited. Then he was hurt in 2021 and now he's here. That's 2 years of minimal coaching and practice before getting here but if the staff can start Aune after being out of the sport for 6 years, they should be able to bring him up to speed.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

I don't comment on the other backups because I've seen film on them. I didn't watch Ruder's games last year due to work. I've watched several of Gunnell's Arizona highlights (full game not just the good plays) as well as his Rivals recruitment analysis. He's more mobile than he looks and can squeeze some throws-in but their offense was mainly focused on screens and quick short passes. From what I've seen, his biggest issue is some passes can get away a bit in that he still gets it to his receiver but could stand to place it where the receiver could get more YAC. Often times, they were well-placed and well-timed though. The other criticism I have is I think he stands tall in the pocket for a bit too long which can be good to make a passing plays deep but doesn't always feel the pressure well. Hard to judge considering how bad Arizona was when he was there. It did appear as games went on, he'd get tired of getting hit and would make plays with his legs.

Finally, I think he has the talent but I'm worried about how much coaching he's had since high school. He started some as a true freshman in 2019, including a 352 yard passing game on 66% completion (44 passes) in his first career start against UCLA. Arizona won that game and he was the pac 12 freshman of the week. He played more throughout the year seemingly determined by Khalil Tate's health. 2020 was a covid year so they only played 4 games and practice was limited. Then he was hurt in 2021 and now he's here. That's 2 years of minimal coaching and practice before getting here but if the staff can start Aune after being out of the sport for 6 years, they should be able to bring him up to speed.

See that’s good stuff there. I enjoyed reading it, truly.

• Upvote 1