SL Weekly Presser 9/6/22

Big Z

@5:00 mark, Brett throws him a belt high softball right over the plate to just gush over a guy like Jyaire Shorter, who has obviously battled through a lot to get back on the field...  In essence, "What makes Shorter so good?"     
His answer takes 22 seconds and doesn't really sound excited at all.    He did the same thing with questions about Adaway, Trieb, & Mose (he lit up a little bit more for Mose, but not much).   To me, that's just so weird.

I coach youth soccer.   And even though I'm super-introverted, if you ask me about any of my players, I'm going to light up like a Christmas tree and tell you all about them from personality, work-ethic, skills, some special play they made 5 games ago....  You'd probably have to ask me to stop talking.   And I spend WAY LESS time with my guys than Littrell does with his guys.  So watching him just gloss over these questions is just really odd to me.

And man, his personality appears to be rubbing off on his players.   Both Adaway & Trieb looked like they did not want to be there, even though the questions being asked were all positive.   I'd understand if Vito is sitting there grilling Adaway on some 3rd down play where he didn't convert the 1st down or something.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So watching him just gloss over these questions is just really odd to me.

I'm guessing you never say a Tom Landry press conference. Very matter of fact with his praise. Almost monotone. Littrell doesn't expect much of an audience to see these - they are done to allow local beat reporters to fill in background information. 

Landry also emphasized not getting too excited on the sidelines as that could make you get too emotional to make the correct call on the next play. He had 20 consecutive years of winning records in the NFL so his approach obviously worked. I remember hearing him say you have to watch the film to know what really happened on a play as after every successful play you will tend to think it went better than it actually did and after every unsuccessful play you think it's worse. "Film doesn't get emotional."

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

40 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I'm guessing you never say a Tom Landry press conference. Very matter of fact with his praise. Almost monotone. Littrell doesn't expect much of an audience to see these - they are done to allow local beat reporters to fill in background information. 

Landry also emphasized not getting too excited on the sidelines as that could make you get too emotional to make the correct call on the next play. He had 20 consecutive years of winning records in the NFL so his approach obviously worked. I remember hearing him say you have to watch the film to know what really happened on a play as after every successful play you will tend to think it went better than it actually did and after every unsuccessful play you think it's worse. "Film doesn't get emotional."

You're correct. I was alive during Landry's tenure, but when I came into sports consciousness, the game had passed him by.  Tom Landry is a HOF football coach at the highest level.  He, like Belichick, was an open book.  You know what you're getting into before you get there.  You can come play for him and be successful if you buy into his system.  Are we ready to assign this level of esteem to Littrell? 

I don't think it's fair to compare Littrell to Tom Landry.  Tom Landry invented the 4-3 defense for crying out loud, and his coaching tree is a who's-who of legends.
But if we're comparing Dallas coaches, look at a guy like Jimmy Johnson, who spoke to his lockerroom through the media with a fiery demeanor.  I'm not saying Littrell has to be like Johnson.   Just show us (more importantly, your guys) something.  On the sideline, in an interview, presser, coaches caravan, etc...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I saw Coach Landry give chalk talks, coach on the sidelines and give interviews. Coach Landry is a HOFer. Seth Littrell, sir, is no Tom Landry.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Yes, because Seth freaking Littrell = Tom Landry. 

Hot Dog Face GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

Theres a difference between Landry and Belichick and Littrell. 

Landry is in the HOF and Belichick will be in the HOF

Littrell is a CUSA football coach with a below .500 (as of right now) coaching record who needs to be personable and extroverted in a small community like Denton. I felt like he was kind of like that early on but now he's just stone faced with no emotions. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Theres a difference between Landry and Belichick and Littrell. 

Landry is in the HOF and Belichick will be in the HOF

Littrell is a CUSA football coach with a below .500 (as of right now) coaching record who needs to be personable and extroverted in a small community like Denton. I felt like he was kind of like that early on but now he's just stone faced with no emotions. 

Based on what he's said in interviews the past couple years, I think the transfer portal and NIL have killed a lot of his passion for being a head coach. It's not what he signed up for when he was younger and moving up the ranks to become a HC. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Littrell refers to the lack of execution from the players multiple times. If player execution continues to be the issue then at what point do we look inward at the coaches and play calling? If the execution is continuing to fail then quality coaches will adjust and put the athletes in a different positions to be successful. I am sick of hearing about lack of execution. Littrell was asked about the play calling inside the redzone and he said that he didnt feel like anything should have been called different but players have to execute better. Im so sick of hearing that. Coaches need to be held accountable for not adjusting and helping the players be successful. Sorry if this was repetitive I'm just sick of hearing his same old stuff. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Victorygreen04 said:

Littrell refers to the lack of execution from the players multiple times. If player execution continues to be the issue then at what point do we look inward at the coaches and play calling? If the execution is continuing to fail then quality coaches will adjust and put the athletes in a different positions to be successful. I am sick of hearing about lack of execution. Littrell was asked about the play calling inside the redzone and he said that he didnt feel like anything should have been called different but players have to execute better. Im so sick of hearing that. Coaches need to be held accountable for not adjusting and helping the players be successful. Sorry if this was repetitive I'm just sick of hearing his same old stuff. 

I think during the Rudy's Radio show they asked him about the Wildcat play and he said that it was execution and not the play calling....Im with you VictoryGreen. He also added that if they are on the 2 yard line, they should be able to punch it in in 4 plays. 

We've seen this not be the case several times in his tenure because he runs the dive from the shotgun all the time. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

I think during the Rudy's Radio show they asked him about the Wildcat play and he said that it was execution and not the play calling....Im with you VictoryGreen. He also added that if they are on the 2 yard line, they should be able to punch it in in 4 plays. 

We've seen this not be the case several times in his tenure because he runs the dive from the shotgun all the time. 

You and I are on the same page. Why not get under center and run the dang ball or do a QB SNEAK???!!! Is it that difficult? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

Ok I’ve had enough of this stuff. The team ran plays during the week of the game to perfection. 

No plays were used during the game on Saturday. 

Giving your connection I assume this is correct. This is very concerning and baffling. Why would they not use the plays they are practicing for one of the most important games of the year? I cannot understand what the coaches thought process would be. Do they not think of the game as winnable or important? As a player it would piss me off something fierce.

Edited by outoftown
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Based on what he's said in interviews the past couple years, I think the transfer portal and NIL have killed a lot of his passion for being a head coach. It's not what he signed up for when he was younger and moving up the ranks to become a HC. 

Then he needs to get out of the profession. 

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Dude why are you always taking up for Littrell?  Comparing him to Tom Landry is crazy.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 9/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, VideoEagle said:

Different era.   College players today need PB and Grant McCasland emotion in their face!

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, Victorygreen04 said:

Or if the same players keep failing to execute, at what point do you try different players or different player combinations? Sometimes you really just don't know how certain players will mesh together until you try them in a game.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:32 PM, Withers940 said:

Kind of wild when you think about the size we have at QB compared to when we struggled at the goaline with Fine. Aune is listed at 6'2" 221lb, Ruder at 6'3" 228lb, and Gunnell at 6'6" 228lb. One of those guys should be able to punch it in from the 2 without running wildcats, either by getting a big push or going over the top. Just got to get the ball to break the plane. Surely they practice situations like that in practice where they'll put guys on the field just for that situation to utilize their strength or length. I recall a recent UTexas QB that was often used in goal-line situations because of his size. Didn't get much playing time otherwise because he was an inaccurate passer (50% so I guess he'd have been fine here) but if there was a goalline situation, he was in.

Edit: just remembered Tom Trieb played RB in high school and is now listed at 275lb. If they're not practicing giving him the rock in goalline or 3rd/4th and short situations, we're missing out on a unique opportunity to dominate in those crucial situations.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Kind of wild when you think about the size we have at QB compared to when we struggled at the goaline with Fine. Aune is listed at 6'2" 221lb, Ruder at 6'3" 228lb, and Gunnell at 6'6" 228lb. One of those guys should be able to punch it in from the 2 without running wildcats, either by getting a big push or going over the top. Just got to get the ball to break the plane. Surely they practice situations like that in practice where they'll put guys on the field just for that situation to utilize their strength or length. I recall a recent UTexas QB that was often used in goal-line situations because of his size. Didn't get much playing time otherwise because he was an inaccurate passer (50% so I guess he'd have been fine here) but if there was a goalline situation, he was in.

Tyrone Swoops. OU did something similar with Blake Bell when he was in Norman.