CHANGE MY MIND.

meangreenbob

20 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

7-5 is likely (I have 8-4), but I don't think WB can afford to bring back Littrell if we lose to SMU, Memphis, UTSA, and UAB. Especially, if there are a couple more blowouts. 

The lousy bowl crowd and the less than stellar crowd Saturday should serve as a wakeup call to WB that the fanbase has soured on Littrell. For that to change at this point would require a massive turnaround. I'm talking 9-3 with a championship game appearance. 

The problem is in pissing off the BMD(s) here that want SL here...Wren and company are really stuck between a rock and a hard place in your scenario. If SL wins 7 games, he's gonna get extended. If he doesn't, we won't. That's the problem with allowing SL to have even coached a game beyond that putrid bowl loss in Frisco. He's getting fully judged to keep his job on a schedule that is as cush as anything we could've ever dreamed of making.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I know we’re all still emotional and in our feels, but this athletic department has improved programs across the board by leaps and bounds. Don’t let one weekend make you lose sight of that. 

One weekend? Have you been watching the last 3 years?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The problem is in pissing off the BMD(s) here that want SL here...Wren and company are really stuck between a rock and a hard place in your scenario. If SL wins 7 games, he's gonna get extended. If he doesn't, we won't. That's the problem with allowing SL to have even coached a game beyond that putrid bowl loss in Frisco. He's getting fully judged to keep his job on a schedule that is as cush as anything we could've ever dreamed of making.

Did the BMD's buy our program? Buy Smatresk? Buy WB?  

Was our program really up for sale? For that cheap?

If they're giving money on the condition that they have a say in hiring/firing a coach then you can count me out for life.  

If that's who we've become and if that's who the President an AD are, that they'll cave to "BMD's", that they're capable of being bought like that, then we've lost our way and I, personally, want no part of it.

For all the T. Boone PIckens (RIP) & Red McCombs (RIP to both) of the world, UNT has never been about that but if our program has sold out to "BMD's" then this LMD is out. ✌️

Being kept in the loop is one thing, it's expected, and it's a courtesy - being brought in on decision making and having the final say, lord have mercy!!!

TIA 

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 4

Fire SL, then what???  Whats the alternative? 

Is the university willing to spend what it will take to bring in a new coaching staff, one that will turn this program around, and compete for a conference championship?   Doubt it... The reality is the school will hire another mediocre coach, the team will be somewhere around .500, still loose to smu, and we will all be right back here demanding they fire the coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 3

1 hour ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Did the BMD's buy our program? Buy Smatresk? Buy WB?  

Was our program really up for sale? For that cheap?

If they're giving money on the condition that they have a say in hiring/firing a coach then you can count me out for life.  

If that's who we've become and if that's who the President an AD are, that they'll cave to "BMD's", that they're capable of being bought like that, then we've lost our way and I, personally, want no part of it.

For all the T. Boone PIckens (RIP) & Red McCombs (RIP to both) of the world, UNT has never been about that but if our program has sold out to "BMD's" then this LMD is out. ✌️

Being kept in the loop is one thing, it's expected, and it's a courtesy - being brought in on decision making and having the final say, lord have mercy!!!

TIA 

I’m gonna guess you’re fairly new around here. 

You’ll see in time that the BMDs we have here are very well taken care of here by the administration/leadership, which is no different than anywhere else, but here, you can be a BMD while that would get you second or third deck seats over the 40s at some schools…

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The lousy bowl crowd and the less than stellar crowd Saturday should serve as a wakeup call to WB that the fanbase has soured on Littrell. 

The crowd would quickly warm back up to him if we could compete in big games.  Win a few of them and we'd be regularly posting about 7-8 win seasons.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Fire SL, then what???  Whats the alternative? 

Is the university willing to spend what it will take to bring in a new coaching staff, one that will turn this program around, and compete for a conference championship?   Doubt it... The reality is the school will hire another mediocre coach, the team will be somewhere around .500, still loose to smu, and we will all be right back here demanding they fire the coach. 

……..and that’s why after 52 years I’m out!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I’m gonna guess you’re fairly new around here. 

Excuse me, let me rephrase since in my "youth and inexperience" (RR), I wasn't so clear the first time:

1) Did the BMD's buy our program?

2) Buy Smatresk?

3) Buy WB?  

4) At what price?

5) Are they being brought in on hiring/firing a coach decision making and do they have the final say?

Cut all the cloak and dagger stuff, either you're in the know and can answer these straight up or for some reason you want to keep up this mystique of BMD's? For what?

6) Are they so powerful they'll knock you off if you tell the truth?

You keep bringing the BMD's up - I think we deserve to know who's running our program?

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1

We are not a D2 program masquerading as a D1 program.  I can't remember a loss to a D2 program and only one loss to a FCS program.  

I firmly believe that Wren will have us competitive in the AAC in a couple of years.  Why do I believe that?  Let's look at our other sports:  Men's basketball...Since the hiring of Grant McAlister three years ago we have won three conference championships.  One national tournament, the round of 32 at the NCAA Tournament and our first trip to the NIT where we won our first game.  Women's basketball...Jamie has improved the status of women's basketball (which admittedly had been subpar) to the point that they made it to the NIT this past year.  They are also getting invited to early season tournaments as far away as Puerto Rico which will gain them more visibility in recruiting.  Softball...the hiring of Rodney DeLong turned the program around and for the first time they went to a regional, where they won two games.  A first for the program.  Soccer program has never had a losing season so there was no need for a new coach.  I am less familiar with the other sports but I do know that the track and field and cross country were getting a little stale and he hired a new coach who has won a national championship at the junior college level.  Watch that program take off.  Volleyball was failing so Wren hired a new coach there.  The point is Wren will not let a program fall very far before he will come in with a new head coach hire for football for next season.  I firmly believe it.  I believe that it will be a coach that has been successful at winning at this level.  We can't outrecruit SMU for now because we have neither the money or the prestige so we'll just have to outcoach them.

The main thing is don't give up.  I'm not worried about most of the posters on this forum but the loyal needs to spread the good news about our entire sports program.  Give it time to see what next year brings and keep showing up this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

We are not a D2 program masquerading as a D1 program.  I can't remember a loss to a D2 program and only one loss to a FCS program.  

I firmly believe that Wren will have us competitive in the AAC in a couple of years.  Why do I believe that?  Let's look at our other sports:  Men's basketball...Since the hiring of Grant McAlister three years ago we have won three conference championships.  One national tournament, the round of 32 at the NCAA Tournament and our first trip to the NIT where we won our first game.  Women's basketball...Jamie has improved the status of women's basketball (which admittedly had been subpar) to the point that they made it to the NIT this past year.  They are also getting invited to early season tournaments as far away as Puerto Rico which will gain them more visibility in recruiting.  Softball...the hiring of Rodney DeLong turned the program around and for the first time they went to a regional, where they won two games.  A first for the program.  Soccer program has never had a losing season so there was no need for a new coach.  I am less familiar with the other sports but I do know that the track and field and cross country were getting a little stale and he hired a new coach who has won a national championship at the junior college level.  Watch that program take off.  Volleyball was failing so Wren hired a new coach there.  The point is Wren will not let a program fall very far before he will come in with a new head coach hire for football for next season.  I firmly believe it.  I believe that it will be a coach that has been successful at winning at this level.  We can't outrecruit SMU for now because we have neither the money or the prestige so we'll just have to outcoach them.

The main thing is don't give up.  I'm not worried about most of the posters on this forum but the loyal needs to spread the good news about our entire sports program.  Give it time to see what next year brings and keep showing up this year.

I don’t think anyone will dispute the fact that we have made great strides in our others sports. Most notably Men’s Basketball. Impressive.  

But football drives the bus and while the other coaches are earning their pay with winning records and championships we have a very well paid coach who has been coasting for some time now. 

And why is it ALWAYS NEXT YEAR? What about the last 4 years? 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1