Staying Interested

GMG_Dallas

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

2) SL can't coach quarterback talent.   Jason Bean started the first nine games for Kansas (a team that beat Texas).   Kason Martin just threw for 314 yards and 3 touchdowns with no INT's for Eastern New Mexico (you can argue the competition level, you can't argue the results).   Grant Gunnell was the starter for Arizona in 2020 (including a 286 yard, 3 touchdown game against USC).  So that's at least THREE quarterbacks that somebody thought had something to offer as a starter.  That tells me that we are not getting the most out of QB talent.  

This is it exactly. Mason Fine was a stud and Graham Harrell is one of the greatest college QB's of all time. Those two made Seth look like he knew what he was doing regarding QB's.

Now they're gone and he's lost. Mason Fine was good enough and coached well enough by Harrell for three years to still put up solid numbers with Bodie freakin Reeder. 

Watch this and tell me there's ANYBODY on staff currently teaching QB's this kind of stuff

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Go look at the number of quarterbacks Seth Littrell has brought in during Aune's tenure here.   IF (and that's a big IF because I've seen no other quarterback get real in game playing time) Aune is the best option then one of several things is categorically true.  

1) SL can't evaluate quarterback talent.   You don't offer scholarships to that many quarterbacks and have none of them more capable than Aune

2) SL can't coach quarterback talent.   Jason Bean started the first nine games for Kansas (a team that beat Texas).   Kason Martin just threw for 314 yards and 3 touchdowns with no INT's for Eastern New Mexico (you can argue the competition level, you can't argue the results).   Grant Gunnell was the starter for Arizona in 2020 (including a 286 yard, 3 touchdown game against USC).  So that's at least THREE quarterbacks that somebody thought had something to offer as a starter.  That tells me that we are not getting the most out of QB talent.  

3) SL knows he is on his way out and this is a big "F you" to the fans.   I doubt this explanation, but nothing else explains to me watching your starter throw the ball into the dirt...unless we are so innovative that we're the only team to work on the shoestring catch in practice.  

Points #1 & 2… of course he doesn’t/can’t.  He hasn’t had a decent QB coach in his ear since Harrell left.

Point #3, I highly doubt he’s doing anything like that.  He’s going to play who he thinks will win.  Sadly, no one has beat out Aune, & no one is going to be “coached up” to be any better than they are now because the current QB coach’s mantra is: “If you can’t throw the ball, we’re going to find another QB [whom I’m also incapable of making better].”

7 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

This is it exactly. Mason Fine was a stud and Graham Harrell is one of the greatest college QB's of all time. Those two made Seth look like he knew what he was doing regarding QB's.

Now they're gone and he's lost. Mason Fine was good enough and coached well enough by Harrell for three years to still put up solid numbers with Bodie freakin Reeder. 

Watch this and tell me there's ANYBODY on staff currently teaching QB's this kind of stuff

Quinn Shanbour

18 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Go look at the number of quarterbacks Seth Littrell has brought in during Aune's tenure here.   IF (and that's a big IF because I've seen no other quarterback get real in game playing time) Aune is the best option then one of several things is categorically true.  

1) SL can't evaluate quarterback talent.   You don't offer scholarships to that many quarterbacks and have none of them more capable than Aune

3) SL knows he is on his way out and this is a big "F you" to the fans.   I doubt this explanation, but nothing else explains to me watching your starter throw the ball into the dirt...unless we are so innovative that we're the only team to work on the shoestring catch in practice.  

1 and 2 are both definitely true. Not only did he luck into Harrell but he lucked into the only player to win the Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year award twice. Makes me wonder if the reason for so many transfer QBs is he's hoping other schools properly evaluated these guys out of high school because he's got nobody on staff who can do that.

Which brings us to your second point. He's had guys on his roster who have found starting minutes elsewhere, at least two who started close to a season at better perceived conferences. At some point, WB has to look at the coach and realize SL is either smarter than all the other coaches for seeing these guys as busts or he's failing at developing talent at the QB position. I doubt it's the former considering the results on the field. Time to cut him loose, Wren.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Conceptually sure, but career wise there's no comparison. Harrell was doing it at a high level against top 25 teams on a weekly basis. He could coach the reads/throws/angles/concepts/footwork because he actually did it week in and week out.

Not saying Shanbour is a bad coach, but having that much playing experience is invaluable. You can only out-concept people for so long. Being able to actually do it is another thing completely.

A lot of the fault can be placed on Aune because he's just not executing, but if he's not even being taught how to execute in the first place, who's fault is it really?

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Conceptually sure, but career wise there's no comparison. Harrell was doing it at a high level against top 25 teams on a weekly basis. He could coach the reads/throws/angles/concepts/footwork because he actually did it week in and week out.

Not saying Shanbour is a bad coach, but having that much playing experience is invaluable. You can only out-concept people for so long. Being able to actually do it is another thing completely.

A lot of the fault can be placed on Aune because he's just not executing, but if he's not even being taught how to execute in the first place, who's fault is it really?

There's an NFL head coach who had a total of 39 receptions in college. That coach has led his team to two super bowl appearances and won one despite only being 36. His offensive philosophies have changed the game, at least at the pro level.

Some of these guys have great football minds, they just never had the physical gifts to put it all together on the field. I personally think Shanbour's playing success is irrelevant to his ability to teach.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

There's an NFL head coach who had a total of 39 receptions in college. That coach has led his team to two super bowl appearances and won one despite only being 36. His offensive philosophies have changed the game, at least at the pro level.

Some of these guys have great football minds, they just never had the physical gifts to put it all together on the field. I personally think Shanbour's playing success is irrelevant to his ability to teach.

While I agree there are plenty examples of great coaches that have minimal/no playing time, the proof is in the pudding with Shanbour/Bloesch.

Unless Littrell is intentionally playing Aune over others for God knows what reason. The coaching just isn't good.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

While I agree there are plenty examples of great coaches that have minimal/no playing time, the proof is in the pudding with Shanbour/Bloesch.

Unless Littrell is intentionally playing Aune over others for God knows what reason. The coaching just isn't good.

I agree the coaching isn't good. Shanbour's playing career has nothing to do with that, IMO.

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This.  Also, don't forget that both Graham Harrell and Sean McVay were coach's kids.  They've inherited those coaching genes and clearly learned a lot from growing up around coaches.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

While Harrell was here just about every QB that got game action for us looked capable of winning games.   Since he left I would argue that none of them have.  Aune and Bean have had their moments, but there is something that has been missing.  Even Fine looked downright human his senior year.

Edited by TIgreen01

General question with how bad the experience was Saturday for many, it appears AD and University are not interested, so why should fans be interested? If the university can barely even promote a big rivalry game and it being the first game of the season, why should fans get interested? UNT at many levels is good at shooting itself in the foot, ask for help/survey and then still do nothing. University should take some pride and be welcoming to fans and alumni using their $$$ and time to support the university. So again why should fans be interested if the university does not show it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

I went to 1 game last year (2 if you count bowl), will probably go to 0 this year. Far cry from 2010-2016 when I went to every single game. This is as bleak as it’s ever been for me. I’ll watch a quarter to see how the game is going of probably each game, but I’m not giving any money to the AD until Seth is gone (or basketball season starts).

Ironic you went to every game between 2010-2016 and won’t go now. Outside of 2013, this year’s team is better than any team during that stretch. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Yeah, there was hope then. It’s obvious you’re new to UNT fandom, so I admire your dedication.

Pretty sure I’ve been around a little longer than you, but okay 👍 

Just pointing out its odd you stuck around through some absolute shit teams, but now .500 is cause to abandon the program. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

Cool story man. Keep spending money and encouraging mediocrity, it works well for the Cowboys, Rangers and Mavs. DFW loves being average.

So, you live in Denton but don't go to games, yet spend time on here to complain about the program's issues? 

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you "Typical Dentonite"...what would seem like a complete waste of time to so many others to spend time on a team's fan forum for which you don't attend games, yet feel like complaining about the program, this fine poster represents the Denia Park residents and your average DRC subscriber.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

This.  Also, don't forget that both Graham Harrell and Sean McVay were coach's kids.  They've inherited those coaching genes and clearly learned a lot from growing up around coaches.  

Are your saying Wren should hire Riley Dodge straight from the high school ranks to be our head coach? I'm kidding.