Staying Interested

GMG_Dallas

What's it going to take for you to keep going to games or at least watching on TV this season? If we "right the ship" against a poor conference and start winning games, will you remain interested? Do you need to see coaching changes? QB changes? Are you watching regardless? Just curious where everybody's at.

I know for me, I'm going to need some kind of change. I don't care about beating the bad teams we'll eventually face if we're still being blown out by the good teams. I'd like a QB change even if the result isn't any better but I'll take any significant change right now, even if the result isn't better this season. Just tired of watching the same mediocre passing game and the same missed assignments on defense.

So, what's going to keep you dedicated to tuning in every week this season?

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

What's it going to take for you to keep going to games or at least watching on TV this season? If we "right the ship" against a poor conference and start winning games, will you remain interested? Do you need to see coaching changes? QB changes? Are you watching regardless? Just curious where everybody's at.

I know for me, I'm going to need some kind of change. I don't care about beating the bad teams we'll eventually face if we're still being blown out by the good teams. I'd like a QB change even if the result isn't any better but I'll take any significant change right now, even if the result isn't better this season. Just tired of watching the same mediocre passing game and the same missed assignments on defense.

So, what's going to keep you dedicated to tuning in every week this season?

Despite knowing better, I am going to watch every game regardless.

However, to answer your question, changing QBs would be a start. I knew UTEP Aune didn't tell the whole story and SMU Aune was more of what I knew him to be.  I literally cringe every time I see him air mail or throw the ball into the dirt of a wide open receiver. 

Something also has to give with our DBs (other than Gaddie). First game against UTEP, we get torched for nearly 300 yards. Second game (granted Mordecai might be the best QB we face this year), 432 yards. We've given up the most passing yards in the country and have one of the worst passing yards per game stats in the country also. Seeing our DBs get blown up for big plays feels like the norm now. 

Finally, the freaking penalties. How are you a 7th year head coach and can't get your team to not move on the line? We always commit penalties at the worst times and kill drives. 

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

We still don't know how good or bad UNLV is?  They pounded Idaho State and were off last Saturday.

They play Cal this week.

No we don't. But my guess is they're a bottom 1/3 MWC team. An average football team would go 8-4 with our schedule. The bare minimum to accept is 7-5 WITH a bowl win. Anything less, we have to cut bait. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

However, to answer your question, changing QBs would be a start. I knew UTEP Aune didn't tell the whole story and SMU Aune was more of what I knew him to be.  I literally cringe every time I see him air mail or throw the ball into the dirt of a wide open receiver. 

Something also has to give with our DBs (other than Gaddie). First game against UTEP, we get torched for nearly 300 yards. Second game (granted Mordecai might be the best QB we face this year), 432 yards. We've given up the most passing yards in the country and have one of the worst passing yards per game stats in the country also. Seeing our DBs get blown up for big plays feels like the norm now. 

Finally, the freaking penalties. How are you a 7th year head coach and can't get your team to not move on the line? We always commit penalties at the worst times and kill drives. 

Coverages have to change throughout the game or at the bare minimum presnap alignments have to change regardless of coverage. We are a 3 and 4 team. We often don't show anything different unless we're defending RZ or GL. Our alignment 100% dictates our coverage. If our corners are so bad, which it appears at times they are then quarters is the safe bet, it's the check in the box coverage. But I'm a big fan of 2 under umbrella being mixed in especially when you have bad corners who can't cover with consistency vs a passing team. If you like and trust gaddie then cover 6 to him is good too. But we are very vanilla in our coverages and good qbs aren't idiots, they're usually the opposite. 

I will watch on television regardless. It will take something special to get me to make the trek from Austin to Denton. Last season it was a 4 game winning streak that got me to the UTSA game and winning that game got me to go to the bowl game. We’ll need to be at 7 wins before I go back in person 

23 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If we're 4-2 heading into the LaTech game I will be there. I will be at homecoming the following week regardless of record. 

I can respect going to homecoming regardless. I guess that LaTech game is make or break to really confirm who we are. I'm not particularly interested in watching a bad team beat other bad teams if all losses are blowouts.

I say this and I usually watch regardless.

19 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yeah regarding QB, I really just want to see what others can do over the course of 2 or 3 games. I had folks here grilling me preseason about wanting change for the sake of wanting change. I don't understand why Aune has such a long leash other than SL really just thinking an above .500 winning record will save his job.

Regarding the DBs and penalties, I'm right there with you. That said, if we're going to allow 50 points and make foolish mistakes, I'd at least like to be putting up 50 as well. I can deal with a string offense or a strong defense even if we're not pulling results. Not having either one makes it really hard to watch. The commercial breaks are more entertaining than the play on the field at times.

• Upvote 3

I think SL is almost scared to change qbs because if a backup comes out and does well, he will be questioned why has the guy been on the bench the whole year. Kason Martin is an example.

Martin was 24/31 for 313 and 3 touchdowns and no interceptions.  Granted he playing down but I watched the game.  He  could throw the long ball and could hit the receivers in stride both long and mid passes.  I still don't understand why he never saw the field for us.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I think you have to make a qb change and this week would be a good time to do it. Grant and Earle should be the qb's for this game. In the SMU game some of the throws and catches were at the next level. Faulkner is obviously has a nose for the football and can deliver the hits, but is he fast enough for 1-1 coverage? 

If they beat UNLV and Memphis I will start watching again. They may not be good but their names are at least recognizable.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I think you have to make a qb change and this week would be a good time to do it. Grant and Earle should be the qb's for this game. In the SMU game some of the throws and catches were at the next level. Faulkner is obviously has a nose for the football and can deliver the hits, but is he fast enough for 1-1 coverage? 

If they beat UNLV and Memphis I will start watching again. They may not be good but their names are at least recognizable.

Yeah this week will decide a lot for me. Not that I won't follow the rest of the season and catch games but I'm not working my schedule around games if Aune starts this week. Like you said, it's the perfect reset button against an FCS we should beat regardless of the QB play. Let somebody else go under center and gain some confidence for the UNLV game. Then you have UNLV to work out kinks and Memphis to solidly evaluate. Aune starting this week means there won't be change until it's too late. I'm not sacrificing my time off to watch the same movie every weekend.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 7

35 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Coverages have to change throughout the game or at the bare minimum presnap alignments have to change regardless of coverage. We are a 3 and 4 team. We often don't show anything different unless we're defending RZ or GL. Our alignment 100% dictates our coverage. If our corners are so bad, which it appears at times they are then quarters is the safe bet, it's the check in the box coverage. But I'm a big fan of 2 under umbrella being mixed in especially when you have bad corners who can't cover with consistency vs a passing team. If you like and trust gaddie then cover 6 to him is good too. But we are very vanilla in our coverages and good qbs aren't idiots, they're usually the opposite. 

Agreed. 

18 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yeah regarding QB, I really just want to see what others can do over the course of 2 or 3 games. I had folks here grilling me preseason about wanting change for the sake of wanting change. I don't understand why Aune has such a long leash other than SL really just thinking an above .500 winning record will save his job.

Regarding the DBs and penalties, I'm right there with you. That said, if we're going to allow 50 points and make foolish mistakes, I'd at least like to be putting up 50 as well. I can deal with a string offense or a strong defense even if we're not pulling results. Not having either one makes it really hard to watch. The commercial breaks are more entertaining than the play on the field at times.

Also agreed. We know what we get with Aune. A game manager, not a game changer. He won't win the game for you, he'll just try not to lose it. He's reached his ceiling and I don't expect much more from him. The next few games (specifically Tx Southern) are the perfect time to see what you get from other QBs. Why would you bring them in and have a whole QB battle just to stick with Aune?

Yeah, this isn't the Fine era where our defense sucked and we had to out gun other teams just needing the D to bend but not break. We aren't putting up big yards or big points and our D is still getting torched. It just feels like typical Littrell football. I don't know if I've ever seen a Littrell coached team put it together for all 3 phases.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I think SL is almost scared to change qbs because if a backup comes out and does well, he will be questioned why has the guy been on the bench the whole year. Kason Martin is an example.

I’d be scared too after what we saw of Gunnell in relief Saturday. The reason our passing game was so good under Harrell is because we practiced the deep ball relentlessly. Our OL/QB/OC coach doesn’t like the deep ball and that is why I feel like we cannot execute it. We aren’t practicing it like it matters and only use it to throw up a prayer in games we are getting whooped in.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’d be scared too after what we saw of Gunnell in relief Saturday. The reason our passing game was so good under Harrell is because we practiced the deep ball relentlessly. Our OL/QB/OC coach doesn’t like the deep ball and that is why I feel like we cannot execute it. We aren’t practicing it like it matters and only use it to throw up a prayer in games we are getting whooped in.

We have given Aune 3 years now and we know what we have. There have been some good play, but also a lot of bad plays. Gunnell got in and did not play well and people are making a judgement after a few plays? 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

For me to keep going to games and/or watch on tv this season, it would take a time machine. 

But then I'd probably just use it to go back in time and tell my younger self that it doesn't really get better and not waste decades on UNT football. 

I'd definitely use my 1 time machine opportunity to grab 3 or 20 lucky power ball numbers. But that's me. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Then this on SL and staff.  He won't hire a qb coach and the we get the same results over and over.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Your question is about staying interested in NT football.

The bigger question is staying interested in NCAA football.  This NIL buy your team concept has already got me questioning why even pay attention to a dying sport. 

$36.000 a year announced like they are very proud of it. for any member of the team.   Of course, the stars and starters get much more.  And the announcer seems to think this is a good thing. 

Room, board, and medical plus a salary of at least 36k.  Most of the world's people don't come close to that kind of compensation and that doesn't even count the illegal inducements to sign there in the first place.  Most probably get a car for that.   

I have never been a pro sports fans but now that seems fairer and more competitive than the NCAA brand of football.

Of course, it won't stop at football.  Those great MBB and softball teams of NT will soon be things of the past.  

I have never been for any lower division status for NT, but if a NIL free league is developed that would probably be a better place.  

I understand this sentiment. That said, I've heard rumblings through telecasts that the NCAA is probably going to move towards giving money to every school for this. Think pro sports revenue breakdowns. I don't know if they were referring to equally splitting money within each conferences media rights or what but things will change over time. Hopefully the NCAA realizes you need a fully competitive field to keep increasing revenue. They made 1.1 billion last year. The NFL makes 11 billion per year. That's a lot of lost revenue through potential viewership.

• Thanks 1