Buick 2.0

MeanGreenSig

1 hour ago, MeanGreenSig said:

Is anybody else thinking this is back to the old Buick offense? Run until they think your going to pass it then run again. But seriously, we run first 2 downs and have 3rd and long and must pass the defense already knows what we are doing on every down.

Talent level doesn’t matter much if that is our play calling.

Playcalling was terrible.   No adjustments from UTEP game vs Smut.   They had everything on tape.  Same game plan for us, run between the tackles (until we can't against Smut) then pass, which we can't, then punt.  

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

How many years has Magic Mason been gone? How many years has be had a chance to recruit a replacement ? 

When you look at the accolades of some of the quarterbacks we’ve had since Mason, you’ve got to wonder if recruiting is really the problem or are they being coached into mediocrity.  

The problem doesn’t look to be recruiting on paper.  It looks to me like we haven’t had talent in the QB coaching role since Harrell. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hope things can change, and they might with the teams we face, but a few concerns that were mentioned before the season -

• Our OC/QB coach is a O-line coach
  • We do not have a legitimate college-level QB coach
  • Why does it seem that every QB we bring in regresses from their level of play at their previous stops?

Starting to think we are lucky Aune is playing at the level he is.

**Thank goodness we have Coach Cobbs and his RB's

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

When you look at the accolades of some of the quarterbacks we’ve had since Mason, you’ve got to wonder if recruiting is really the problem or are they being coached into mediocrity.  

The problem doesn’t look to be recruiting on paper.  It looks to me like we haven’t had talent in the QB coaching role since Harrell. 

All of this. You can't tell me that the number of QBs we've had since Mason left are all lacking the talent to complete regular passes at the FBS level.

• Upvote 1

We've all probably head the old saying, "lies, damned lies, and statistics," but given how much people seem to dump on Aune, I was curios where he stood in terms of other Mean Green QBs (including some of the greats) at the start of the season.  Looking at the record book, I'll admit I was a bit surprised by some of these.  I'll also admit, that the some of the minimum thresholds seemed a little odd, but here are the ones that stuck out to me.  

Passing Efficiency (career):  #4 Behind Fine, Hall and Maher

Passing Efficiency (season): 5th best (2020)

Yards (career): #9

Yards per Attempt (career):  #2 behind Hall

Yards per Attempt (season): #1 (2020)

Yards per Completion (career):  #1

Yards per Completion (season): #1 (2020)

Touchdowns (career): #10

Touchdown-to-Interception Ratio (career): #5 (ahead of Maher, Thompson, Davis, Ramsey and Dodge)

Touchdown-to-Interception Ratio (season): #3 (2020)

Passing Yards per Game (career):  #4 behind Fine, Vizza and Thompson

Passing Yards per Game (season):  #9 (2020)

https://meangreensports.com/documents/2022/8/11/2022_UNT_Football_Media_Almanac.pdf

• Upvote 1