Perspective

Cr1028

Be the Kansas of the AAC? I guess if we regularly make Final Four appearances in March Madness, it's not too terrible. 

I like your perspective though. Our coaching is not producing basic results. Too many missed assignments and careless mistakes. I agree, regardless of our record, SL needs to be gone. We, the AD, can't let a decent to good final record cloud what we know about him.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

50 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Now that my AAC rant is over. Let us go back to the schedule in front of us. SMU was far and away the most athletically talented team we will face all season. We have a legitimate shot at winning 8 of our next 10 games. UTSA and UAB will likely hammer us but the other teams left won’t be much better than UTEP and some will be worse. This is not a lost season yet. We could finish 9-3 and get to a decent bowl again. I don’t think that in and of itself merits Littrell getting to coach in the AAC but it’ll be more fun than the throttling we got last night. This season isn’t over yet folks.

Next season we either need to be full SMU buying P5 players or have a new coach that can make lemonade out of lemons because if we get neither we will be the Kansas of the AAC.

TOO EARLY TO TALK UTSA BUT…

I watched the UTSA/UH game today. I’ll watch it again.  

•••First of all, UTSA is no SMU.  They’re not.  
•••Secondly, I still think UNT will match up very well with UTSA with our running game just as we did last November.
  ••• Our offensive line matched up very well last season & this season our present younger offensive line backups will be mature by the time we take the trip to SA.  That will help our coaches keep ‘em’ fresh throughout the game. 

•••We’ve beaten UTSA (what is it)—4 or 5 times in a row now? We seem to have their number & did with last season’s team just like UAB seems to have our number. 
•••We played in front of a loud Sun Bowl crowd with an on the road win. Granted, UTEP is no SMU, either, but winning on the road in our past has many times been a challenge.  

IMPORTANT QUESTION: 
Is it just me or does Coach Traillor(?) look like a smart aleck to any of you fellow Nestors? 😳 (Maybe he’s not). 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Eye Roll 2

44 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

•••Secondly, I still think UNT will match up very well with UTSA with our running game just as we did last November.
  ••• Our offensive line matched up very well last season & this season our present younger offensive line backups will be mature by the time we take the trip to SA.  That will help our coaches keep ‘em’ fresh throughout the game. 

•••We’ve beaten UTSA (what is it)—4 or 5 times in a row now? We seem to have their number & did with last season’s team just like UAB seems to have our number. 
•••We played in front of a loud Sun Bowl crowd with an on the road win. Granted, UTEP is no SMU, either, but winning on the road in our past has many times been a challenge.  

IMPORTANT QUESTION: 
Is it just me or does Coach Traillor(?) look like a smart aleck to any of you fellow Nestors? 😳 (Maybe he’s not). 

GMG!

Utsa is probably better than smu. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

Here's perspective:  since UNT's return to top level football in 1995, the team has won almost exactly 40% of their games at 122-203 (and 20% of bowl games). 

That means if this team goes 5-7, it's actually above average for our school. 

40b96f717103244d7d9dea023de22820619058efade0a529f2938430963ed6c7.jpg

super-troopers-wow.gif

• Upvote 1

Perspective: under Seth Littrell

1.  1-6 vs Smu— talent gap is getting wider started with Dykes and the portal.

2. 4-2 vs UTSA— Traylor is widening the talent gap as well. Plus we are 1-3 all time in SA. This looks like a road loss.

3. 0-5 in bowl games 

4. 1-3 vs UAB—don’t forget the cancellation for Covid otherwise this would probably be 1-4.

5. 0-1 vs UH— plus a cancellation save or it would be 0-2. 

conclusion-  5-16 in games that move the needle or 7-17 if we throw in the Army games. 

His down fall is that he has made poor/slow decisions on replacing staff when they leave. It has affected recruiting and player development. Also, his lack of foresight with the portal. 

Sunday, November 13, 2022, should be an announcement one way or another. If not, then it is on the AD for not planning ahead.

Edited by UNT Family Man
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Perspective for me ---- !) We are better than what showed up last night without a doubt but we may have some PTSD from the 1st half of last year -- As much as we say we finished strong didn't it seem to you like as soon as Tanner hit a few big plays we just "locked up" ? 2) The Portal talent they have from last year and this year is ridiculous $$ does this. 3) They (SMU) have a 90mil operating sports budget (boosters not included) we have a 40mil budget. 4) The only team with more Wide Receivers in the NFL right now than SMU, is Alabama so their best asset killed us last night. We were outgunned period. Do we have some super players --Yes -- do we have as many as they do - No.  Some issues we can overcome in this story and some we probably won't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

2 things

1. We are not ready to compete in the AAC in football and last night put it all out in the open. Either this NIL collective needs to be a homerun or there HAS to be a new staff in place next season that can either find better players or get better results from this talent level. One thing I have a real problem with though is it does not matter if you have 5 star or 2 star players, if they miss assignments and commit penalties that falls on the coaching staff. I was shocked to see our 6th year senior 2nd team all conference center commit 2 false starts on a single drive plus his low snap later while we have 2 offensive line coaches including the damn OC. That is pathetic!

You have a 6th year senior. All the coaching in the world is not necessary for that guy to know he messed up. If he doesn't know it by now... he will never know. But I have a feeling he knows, and he is not blaming the coaches.

He probably has more playing experience than the coaching staff. He's heard the coaching staff and been in those situations for 5 years...

Those players on the SMU sideline probably have at least $36000 reasons to blame themselves for messing up. For those going to the NFL, more. It is on the fans, admin, and athletic dept. to decide if they want to attract NFL talent or if they want to attract former MLB minor league talent with commercial real estate aspirations to play football here. If the expectation is to beat SMU - we know where we need to be. That said - I think what Aune has accomplished in baseball and as an athlete in general is spectacular and better than 99% of any of us. He seems like a great dude, but the pedigree of the guys on the SMU roster is known. Siggers was one of us. We have had NFL talent on our roster. SMU just has more.

We can be the underdog team of people who overachieve 1/10 years and beat that team. The advantage we have over SMU is in number of grads/students and fans. How do we transfer that to an advantage in $$$?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

The advantage we have over SMU is in number of grads/students and fans. How do we transfer that to an advantage in $$$?

We need RV to get off his duff and get the NIL website live to take donations on a one-time and monthly basis and advertise the crap out of it.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 2

SMU had a lot more talent than us before NIL. Dykes did a great job using the transfer portal . It's obvious that we can't compete with the top teams in the AAC. Again, look at where we were when we pounded the Musangs just a handful of years ago and where we are now compared to them.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

2 things

1. We are not ready to compete in the AAC in football and last night put it all out in the open. Either this NIL collective needs to be a homerun or there HAS to be a new staff in place next season that can either find better players or get better results from this talent level. One thing I have a real problem with though is it does not matter if you have 5 star or 2 star players, if they miss assignments and commit penalties that falls on the coaching staff. I was shocked to see our 6th year senior 2nd team all conference center commit 2 false starts on a single drive plus his low snap later while we have 2 offensive line coaches including the damn OC. That is pathetic!

2. Now that my AAC rant is over. Let us go back to the schedule in front of us. SMU was far and away the most athletically talented team we will face all season. We have a legitimate shot at winning 8 of our next 10 games. UTSA and UAB will likely hammer us but the other teams left won’t be much better than UTEP and some will be worse. This is not a lost season yet. We could finish 9-3 and get to a decent bowl again. I don’t think that in and of itself merits Littrell getting to coach in the AAC but it’ll be more fun than the throttling we got last night. This season isn’t over yet folks.

Next season we either need to be full SMU buying P5 players or have a new coach that can make lemonade out of lemons because if we get neither we will be the Kansas of the AAC.

We have to improve talent wise across the board to compete in AAC, but most glaring issue is at QB.   We are one dimensional and aren’t good enough to overcome that until we have a QB that makes other defenses worry about something besides the run game.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

IMPORTANT QUESTION: 

GMG!

Jim, I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but every team we face is going to put 8 or 9 defenders in the box, making us throw the ball which we can't. At least not consistently. This season is going to be just like last year and there's nothing we (the fans) can do about it. I was reluctant to buy my season tickets for this year, but my overall excitement for college football over rode my overall disgust of last season. Well, here we are again, same $&!#, different year. We'll plod our way through the year with Aune with a total waste of the weapons we have on offense and I'll be disgusted all over again. I don't know why I keep doing it. I'm an idiot, I guess. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Jim, I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but every team we face is going to put 8 or 9 defenders in the box, making us throw the ball which we can't. At least not consistently. This season is going to be just like last year and there's nothing we (the fans) can do about it. I was reluctant to buy my season tickets for this year, but my overall excitement for college football over rode my overall disgust of last season. Well, here we are again, same $&!#, different year. We'll plod our way through the year with Aune with a total waste of the weapons we have on offense and I'll be disgusted all over again. I don't know why I keep doing it. I'm an idiot, I guess. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

If the defense crowds the line, our receivers are better than our opponents secondaries. Shorter, Bush, Maclin, Burns, Roberts, Gumms, etc will make them pay like they did vs UTEP. The margin for error vs SMU was/is smaller than our CUSA competitors.  Passes that were completed in Week 0 weren’t in Week 1.  I’m hoping for some better passes as the year progresses, but it’s not likely.  This team will win some games.     This is fun, right?  GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

I spent all day pissed yesterday but today I woke up, took a breath, and starting thinking about beating Texas Southern this weekend.

We can still start this season 2-1. 

We still love North Texas. 

We can't give up on our boys just because our coach isn't the one. 

We are still undefeated in Conference USA and our goal of a championship is still in front of us.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

11 minutes ago, Magic95Fan said:

I spent all day pissed yesterday but today I woke up, took a breath, and starting thinking about beating Texas Southern this weekend.

We can still start this season 2-1. 

We still love North Texas. 

We can't give up on our boys just because our coach isn't the one. 

We are still undefeated in Conference USA and our goal of a championship is still in front of us.

Robert Downey Jr Yes GIF

• Upvote 5