Scenario: You're the AD

Pseudo Nym

If you're the AD today, what do you do?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. President Smatresk calls you into his office and wants you to make a decision on the FB coach after reading the feedback from the students, fans, and alumni and he gives you three choices, which do you choose?

• Fire SL.
    • Re-Evaluate After Next Week.
    • Commit it keeping SL and staff until the end of the season.

3 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

WB has said more than once, “I’m not paid to make the emotional moves.”  This one game sucks and doesn’t bode well going into the AAC, but most of us had it as a loss (despite our green fandom).  Aune is likely the starter next week (I’d be shocked if GG started next week, but you never know with this staff).   The season is far from over.  The team has some issues, but it also has some strengths.  We’re 1-1. I’ll be there next Saturday. Beat TSU!

We've all seen this movie before, we know how it ends....6-6 with a Bowl loss!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I appreciate the time-line. I find it hard to believe you'd open the job today and be able to pull a full staff by 60 days when the season is still going on. Some of the coaches are either currently employed and would be burning a bridge with their current HC/AD or they may want to evaluate the entire landscape after the season when all jobs are open.

You've got to start the process so that when the last game is played, we're not waiting for interest, having interviews for multiple positions, fending off other schools from those folks, then rushing into bad contracts, and missing out on guys because we waited.

Let them finish out the season with their team and the next day, they're Mean Green!

As far as burning bridges, any coach who would hold back another coach from progressing in their career, isn't worth holding the bridge down for.  Loyalty goes two ways, I'd rather be pushing guys out the door for better opportunities for their career and families versus holding them hostage for my own benefit.

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think you limit your pool of candidates tremendously by seeking out an answer from your candidates this early in the season. Some simply can't leave their current posts in the middle of the season so you're basically left with the unemployed.

You've got to open the gate to give the pool a chance to fill up. 

Candidates can choose when they want to jump in and how they want to jump in.

If "P5 OC" at a ranked team right now says, I'm really interest but can't leave until the end of the season - I'd rather know that now and open the lines of communication, than wait until the end of the season and be out pitched by the competition when we could have been talking for a few weeks/months.

9 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Regarding the confusion, it's not so much from Wren's perspective but the fans and donors. You're going to have to explain why the interim isn't staying if they pull off a big win streak. It's about who pulls the strings. Firing now brings little to no clarity in this process. 

This takes leadership from the AD and a well thought-out presentation on the future of the program and why the person selected was selected.  You have to work for buy-in, this has to be earned at every level, regardless of the circumstances.

As far as clarity, it's clear that the current state of affairs is unacceptable which warrants a change of leadership at the HC position - this is relatively self-evident at this point.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that we're all going to agree on who the next HC should be.  We could win the Conference and a Bowl Game and the current HC could be off to greener pastures and there will still be discord on who the next HC is and should be.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I said to re-evaluate next week, but I really mean after the UNLV game.   We all knew the loss was coming.  We didn’t like how it happened, but most of us had it down as a loos anyway.

Agree but you seem rather nonchalant about getting drove like that in a home opener no?  Aren't you worried about losing attendance the remainder of the season?

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, RV still plugged into this thing feels like a bad burrito wet fart, just lingering around. 

Off topic but his involvement, via the collective, was and is a huge red flag for me for a number of reasons and is the main reason I have and will continue steer clear of it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Off topic but his involvement, via the collective, was and is a huge red flag for me for a number of reasons and is the main reason I have and will continue steer clear of it.

Ahhhhhhhhh...the RV excuse. 🙄

• Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

You forgot to mention in the hypothetical meeting that our biggest donor will no longer be here if we fire SL, so what should we do?

Nope...not an issue...already been handled

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

You've got to start the process so that when the last game is played, we're not waiting for interest, having interviews for multiple positions, fending off other schools from those folks, then rushing into bad contracts, and missing out on guys because we waited.

Let them finish out the season with their team and the next day, they're Mean Green!

As far as burning bridges, any coach who would hold back another coach from progressing in their career, isn't worth holding the bridge down for.  Loyalty goes two ways, I'd rather be pushing guys out the door for better opportunities for their career and families versus holding them hostage for my own benefit.

You've got to open the gate to give the pool a chance to fill up. 

Candidates can choose when they want to jump in and how they want to jump in.

If "P5 OC" at a ranked team right now says, I'm really interest but can't leave until the end of the season - I'd rather know that now and open the lines of communication, than wait until the end of the season and be out pitched by the competition when we could have been talking for a few weeks/months.

Your entire point brought up that these guys can come in and start recruiting immediately is lost if you're not hiring the staff until after the season is over. It changes little in the time-line. They're not going to be on recruiting trips for UNT if they're still coaching other teams. Again, there's very little value in firing him 2 weeks into the season, IMO.

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Whoever thinks we should fire him after 1 game is stupid.

Yeah I hate losing by 38 to SMU, it’s demoralizing, but it literally makes no sense whatsoever.

I hope y’all are being sarcastic…

Since you're wanting to call people stupid. Hey stupid it's not after one game it's a combination of work over the last three plus years. Quit making excuses for subpar performance from a $2 million dollar year coach

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Your entire point brought up that these guys can come in and start recruiting immediately is lost if you're not hiring the staff until after the season is over. It changes little in the time-line. They're not going to be on recruiting trips for UNT if they're still coaching other teams. Again, there's very little value in firing him 2 weeks into the season, IMO.

Fine, 6 Coaches/Staff can come in and begin recruiting immediately with the remainder coming in at the conclusion of the season.

Open your mind up a bit here.

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Since you're wanting to call people stupid. Hey stupid it's not after one game it's a combination of work over the last three plus years. Quit making excuses for subpar performance from a $2 million dollar year coach

No, I think (and I’m pretty sure I speak for most) that it was definitely this ONE GAME that caused me to want to fire him.

Everything was going so great before that! I mean what’s not to love about the past 3 seasons?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Forget the coaching,  first thing Wren needs to do is issue an apology to every blue lot parking pass holder.  We’re probably not on the big donor list but we’re the diehards that sit through a lot of bad football.  Last night was inexcusable.  

Sad part is that last night means we won’t have another crowd over 20k all year, so really don’t know that anything has to change.  It’s another kick to the nads and I’m freaking sick and tired of everything being so half assed around here.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Fine, 6 Coaches/Staff can come in and begin recruiting immediately with the remainder coming in at the conclusion of the season.

Open your mind up a bit here.

Give you're list of 6 coaches you're bringing in immediately to start recruiting. What 6 coaches are available right now and not currently with another program that could come in today to get their feet on the ground? 

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Give you're list of 6 coaches you're bringing in immediately to start recruiting. What 6 coaches are available right now and not currently with another program that could come in today to get their feet on the ground? 

Bro, this is the point of opening up the job….. to get in early on who’s interested and then go from there…. Go back and look at the timeline and think of the process that has to take place and then consider the benefits like recruiting, the early signing period, starting fresh THE DAY AFTER THE SEASON ENDS versus delaying this process into the new year and losing time…. You’re on the “wait until after the season” bandwagon and to me that wastes valuable time to begin this rebuilding progress.  Wait until the end of the season and we’re competing against other programs, open it up now and see what you can get done earlier in the process.

If you can’t see the benefits of opening up this process now versus later, I can’t help you.

If you can’t see the difference between SL calling a recruit in Oct/November versus a new HC with a fresh vision and opportunity  along with having more staff in place the day the seasons over to make those phone calls, flip recruits, and bring transfers in, I can’t help you.

Everyday that goes by, we’re waisting on an SL program when we should be spending time building the UNT Program.

Coaches are hired guns, if the opportunity is better and they’re up for the challenge and opportunity, why wouldn’t they come? Especially when someone else just as good or better may take the opportunity?  Opportunities don’t last, coaches get it - Lane Kiffin leaving ‘Bama before the National Championship game, it depends on the person and opportunity, other guys on the Bama staff in recent years stayed.

So long as the job is not open, then there’s no opening for progress or to find out how it shakes up.

We’ve got more to lose by not opening the job now than by keeping it closed until the end of the season and then starting the process then and loosing more weeks/months.

For me it’s all about options. Apparently we really wanted Joey McGuire last year when it was looking like Littrell was going to get canned. We could’ve fired Littrell at 1-6 and maybe got a deal done with McGuire before Tech did. Instead they beat us to the punch.

Maybe we don’t get McGuire even if we fired Littrell midseason last year. Point is, if there’s a guy we really want, don’t let 7-5 stop you. Especially if the 5 losses are more of the SMU variety where we aren’t particularly competitive against our future AAC opponents like SMU, Memphis, UTSA, and UAB.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Fire the coach, standard message board fare after every loss.

There is next to no chance, Littrell is going to get fired during the season.

It solves nothing, but further muddles the season.

I believe most think that it is up to Littrell and team to determine his future.  I think he will have to win 7 games or finish very strong to return next year.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Just a thought on this, when a certain P5 coach took over a program, their staff couldn't find enough ways to "push" players out the door.  

Firing him now gives potential coaches a chance to evaluate the program, and make thorough proposals and well thought out presentations in their interview.... The sooner a new coach is in place, the sooner we start recruiting their players and earlier than other teams...... put together the new staff earlier than other teams..... The faster you can hit the ground running on next year and the years ahead, the better off we will be.

Prior to the transfer portal, maybe. In this day and age, it would give other staffs the chance to evaluate our team and make pitches to transfer out. There is going to have to be a fine line on the timing of this. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Fire the coach, standard message board fare after every loss.

There is next to no chance, Littrell is going to get fired during the season.

It solves nothing, but further muddles the season.

I believe most think that it is up to Littrell and team to determine his future.  I think he will have to win 7 games or finish very strong to return next year.   

Agreed. The fanbase should take solace in knowing a decision will be made once the season ends - you cannot allow a coach to work on a one year deal (going into 2023). 

The more I read and think on it, the more I’m convinced there will be a parting of ways regardless of the win/loss record. But we shall see. 

Edited by Pellom
  • Upvote 1