2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not sure what you mean by "middling around".  He took over a program that went 13-31 the four years prior to his arrival including 1-10 the year before (2017) he was hired.  He then produced teams that went 6-5, 5-7, 3-3, 10-3 and his recruits are currently 11-1 on this year and still in the playoffs.

Bolded is middling.   10-3 is great!   
Why leave to take an OC job after that kind of success?   ...my opinion, based strictly on observation:  He didn't think he could keep it going if he lost Ward.   Red flag.  Not a disqualifier.  Just a red flag.

GJ Kinne parlayed this year's success into an FBS HC gig.  Good for him.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Bolded is middling.   10-3 is great!   
Why leave to take an OC job after that kind of success?   ...my opinion, based strictly on observation:  He didn't think he could keep it going if he lost Ward.   Red flag.  Not a disqualifier.  Just a red flag.

GJ Kinne parlayed this year's success into an FBS HC gig.  Good for him.

I’d say if he ever wanted to be G5/P5 HC he’d have to have a P5 coordinator skins to do so. And the family could have used the extra 200k

Just now, TalonsUp said:

I’d say if he ever wanted to be G5/P5 HC he’d have to have a P5 coordinator skins to do so. And the family could have used the extra 200k

GJ became a FBS HC after just 1 season there!

He's also already had the P5 coordinator skins (at TXTech for 4 years!).  Why does he need more?  Kinne didn't.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

GJ became a FBS HC after just 1 season there!

He's also already had the P5 coordinator skins (at TXTech for 4 years!).  Why does he need more?  Kinne didn't.

Texas State didn’t think that out too well. And 4 years at south plains tech is not credible. 
from all the hearsay Tex st went after Morris with their coin purse not a brinks truck and he told them just how and why they will continue to suck

• Upvote 1

From what I understand, Harrell loved his time here. He’s young, energetic & every high school coach in Texas knows who he is. He’s been the OC & QB coach here & at the P5 level. I would think he would keep Cobbs as RB coach & maybe a few others if hired as head coach.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Another Fuente, Riley, and Harrell mention here.

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/1599827401919414318

If this Fuente bs comes to fruition, you got to hand it to Wren for winning the game. He gets a new job making an extra half a million at a p5 school, he helps get rid of the old coach Just-in time to get his old unemployed buddy hired. A hire for which he would never be held accountable. If it really is Fuente, well played Wren, Wren 1 UNT 0.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's had a year off to gather himself.    If he found that fire again, there's no denying he's a proven winner.

That's the key - Does he want to be here and sees it as a positive, or does he look at it as a necessary step to get back to where he thinks he should be. I have faith that Neil and company will hire someone that they believe will be successful. Honestly, I am almost as concerned about the staff Coach ? puts together. We need a difference making recruiter on staff.

9 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Gary Patterson is such a wild card. I think we all question if he still has the hunger for the the grind to build a program up. I feel like he could be a huge success or a big dud with no in-between. 

We do? I don’t. Id take him over any other option thats been previously named in a heartbeat. He’s significantly better than every other candidate listed and has had sustained success. If hes a dud then yeah it sucks big time but his upside is much higher than everyone else

• Upvote 1