2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

We really have to hope that WB repeats the basketball hire with this football hire. 

If our next football coach is a flop….I don’t know what we’re going to do. We have 21 losing seasons in our last 27. While constantly being in the worst conferences in the country. 

At some point….we have to take an objective look at our program and ask if it’s smart to keep throwing money at it….

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9

8 hours ago, dutch said:

He’s despicable as a human being.  When our AD and President flew to Columbus to interview him at his home he yelled and cursed at his own children in front of them.  They left and hired Morris instead.  

Wow, Herman too despicable for even Smut.  But then they hired Morris?   Ok, both are off my list!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT Family Man said:

When Graham left we also lost his buddy Joel Filani — both were great recruiters and John David what’s his name. They greatly influenced our lit factor with young men.

John David Baker is who you are thinking of. He is currently the co-OC at Ole Miss where Marty Biagi is the ST coordinator.

• Upvote 3

Fuente is on the short-list of people to call and I 100% guarantee you that WB has him on his mind or has even reached out.  

Dude took the road that we have seen so many times before... had great success and took the first biggest job that seemingly approached him not realizing that coaching after Beamer would be sooo hard.  Va Tech just got beat by ODU, again, and Beamer was a once in a lifetime coach for them.  Combine that with the QB issues (not talent related) he had at VA Tech and you see what can happen when you accept a bad fit for a new job.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

What’s the infatuation with Colby Carthel? I don’t really know the guy’s background so just curious. 

He took over a 1-9 TAMU-Commerce team in 2012 and went 7-5 the next year. In year 2 he won the conference with a 9-3 record. In year 5 he led them to the division 2 national championship with a 14-1 record.

After going 10-3 in year 6 he was hired away by SFA where he took over a 2-8 team. They went 3-9 in year 1, 6-4 in year 2 (all 4 losses were to FBS teams), and 8-4 with a playoff birth in year 3. The 4 losses in year 3 were a 6 point loss to Texas Tech, a 1 point loss to Sam Houston, a 4 point loss to Jacksonville State, and an overtime loss to Cameron Ward-(now at WSU)-led Incarnate Word in the second round of the playoffs.

This season got off to a rocky start with a 42-17 shellacking at the hands of Rich Rod’s Jacksonville State but they followed it up with a win over Alcorn State. 

I was all-in on Carthel until he got whooped by RichRod, now I’m in wait and see mode.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

He took over a 1-9 TAMU-Commerce team in 2012 and went 7-5 the next year. In year 2 he won the conference with a 9-3 record. In year 5 he led them to the division 2 national championship with a 14-1 record.

After going 10-3 in year 6 he was hired away by SFA where he took over a 2-8 team. They went 3-9 in year 1, 6-4 in year 2 (all 4 losses were to FBS teams), and 8-4 with a playoff birth in year 3. The 4 losses in year 3 were a 6 point loss to Texas Tech, a 1 point loss to Sam Houston, a 4 point loss to Jacksonville State, and an overtime loss to Cameron Ward-(now at WSU)-led Incarnate Word in the second round of the playoffs.

This season got off to a rocky start with a 42-17 shellacking at the hands of Rich Rod’s Jacksonville State but they followed it up with a win over Alcorn State. 

I was all-in on Carthel until he got whooped by RichRod, now I’m in wait and see mode.

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

IIRC, Carthel has been very vocal about his desire to be in Denton.  The dude seems 1) very passionate about winning, and 2) very passionate about helping UNT to do so.

That kind of hunger and love for the game....that's what I want in our locker room leading our athletes.  Speaking to our media.  Eating our Rudys BBQ.

Here is the summary of Colby Carthel's lineage....his dad Don Carthel. When NT was looking to replace DD, I was all for them at least giving this guy an interview. He was coaching at WTA&M at the time.

Don Carthel - Wikipedia

Carthel turned program around (amarillo.com)

How in God's name did this guy NOT get at least an interview with the athletic department back when they hired Todd Dodge.

The Carthels are hardworking west Texans. When Don Carthel was hired to be the WTA&M coach he got out in the community and spoke to any organization to recruit them to support WTA&M football.  

Could you imagine Todd Dodge or SL doing that?

• Upvote 6

Tom Herman is a weirdo and despite his relatively successful career as a coach (even at UT), nobody wants to touch him. There's a reason, and if Dutch's post is accurate, it explains why nobody will touch him with a 10 foot pole. I'd rather keep Seth then take Herman, and I really really don't want to keep Seth.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 8

I’m currently backing SL!  He’s coaching for UNT and I want him to succeed because it means our team is successful. But since we’re talking about it, Skip Holtz. That guy was a thorn in our side  for the longest time. He did it with less, too.  I’m team Seth, but if Wren goes in a different direction after the season, Skip would be a solid hire. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m currently backing SL!  He’s coaching for UNT and I want him to succeed because it means our team is successful. But since we’re talking about it, Skip Holtz. That guy was a thorn in our side  for the longest time. He did it with less, too.  I’m team Seth, but if Wren goes in a different direction after the season, Skip would be a solid hire. 

I get that, and I don't think any of us disagree with the sentiment.  But, at this point, what leads you to think SL will magically figure it out?  And if he seems to have figured it out, how can you trust its not another fluke, like last season?

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, tmjerm said:

He may be a douche bag but he’s not wrong about Herman’s character.  There are enough rumors and smoke to stay away.  I don’t think that’s a direction we should go. 

Who gives a shit about if he's a good guy. I want a winner for once in a century 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

50 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I get that, and I don't think any of us disagree with the sentiment.  But, at this point, what leads you to think SL will magically figure it out?  And if he seems to have figured it out, how can you trust its not another fluke, like last season?

It may be my green glasses, but I don’t think this team is that far away from being competitive this year.  I don’t know about next year, but this team is way too talented and there are too many quality coaches here to crap the bed again. I see this being a quality year.  I think we’d need to GG or Earle, or someone else to get a true feel for next season. The QB is too important a position to not have a contingency plan.  I’m not even sure I answered your question. GMG!  

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Holtz. That guy was a thorn in our side  for the longest time. He did it with less, too.  I’m team Seth, but if Wren goes in a different direction after the season, Skip would be a solid hire. 

I'm not going to dig it up, but not too long ago someone worded a very well thought-out explanation for why Holtz is very risky.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1