2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

I still think it's gonna be Fuente, but I would just fine with Neal Brown

I worry about Fuente being interested in that Charlotte job...   It's only a 2.5hr drive from Blacksburg to Charlotte.    And he'd be stepping into a situation with extremely small expectations.   So anything he does there would be an upgrade in their eyes (very similar to what Littrell did 2016-2018).

I guess Brown could be interested in that same job for those same reasons.

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I worry about Fuente being interested in that Charlotte job...   It's only a 2.5hr drive from Blacksburg to Charlotte.    And he'd be stepping into a situation with extremely small expectations.   So anything he does there would be an upgrade in their eyes (very similar to what Littrell did 2016-2018).

Fuente is back in Texas. 

5 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Note the key phrase in the article, “fire him now to get ahead of the portal opening”

when does the portal officially open and does Wren even know or care?

I believe it is December before you can officially jump into the portal. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah maybe, but Fuente is from Oklahoma, had great success at TCU, and has the Wren/Memphis connection.

We're also probably gonna pay at minimum, double what Charlotte does. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah maybe, but Fuente is from Oklahoma, had great success at TCU, and has the Wren/Memphis connection.

We're also probably gonna pay at minimum, double what Charlotte does. 

Yikes!   I didn't realize Healy was only making $835k.    I say "only", because Littrell is at a cool $2mil.   Yeah, NT should really have a solid hire no matter where we go.   
I'd be cool with Fuente or Brown.  Either would be huge.   And Brown would likely bring Graham Harrell back with him as OC for those of you asking for Harrell to become HC.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Note the key phrase in the article, “fire him now to get ahead of the portal opening”

when does the portal officially open and does Wren even know or care?

The portal opens the day after the Championship 4 teams are announced.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Wren needs to go get Brad Smiley at Southern Arkansas.  Prior to USA, he was the dean of coaches in the SWJCFC as head coach of Trinity Valley.  He can recruit, he is passionate, and he has personality!  He’s a proven winner.

Animated GIF

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Wren needs to go get Brad Smiley at Southern Arkansas.  Prior to USA, he was the dean of coaches in the SWJCFC as head coach of Trinity Valley.  He can recruit, he is passionate, and he has personality!  He’s a proven winner.

There's also this guy down at Austin Westlake. Huge amount of HS success, multiple state championships, record setting offenses.

Proven winner that's a no brainer.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

No High school coach!

You mean no current High School coaches? Jeff Traylor was five years out of the HS coaching ranks when he was hired as HC at UTSA. What great and outstanding things had he done as a TE and RB's coach at TX, ARK & SMU?

Based on his resume, Patrick Cobbs would qualify as a HC candidate.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You mean no current High School coaches? Jeff Traylor was five years out of the HS coaching ranks when he was hired as HC at UTSA. What great and outstanding things had he done as a TE and RB's coach at TX, ARK & SMU?

Based on his resume, Patrick Cobbs would qualify as a HC candidate.

Art Briles only spent three years as the Tech RB coach after leaving Stephenville HS before he got the head job at Houston. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Interesting name.    His resume definitely doesn't fit what Baker's template in HC qualifications though (success as a HC at D1 level).   So if he's a legit candidate, it's going to be based off of a homerun interview.   He rose through the ranks extremely quickly though.   He would certainly be worth an interveiw.

EDIT:   He's a Dan Mullen protege:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/dan-mullen-discusses-brian-johnsons-head-coaching-future-how-the-gators-bounced-back-from-layoff/

Offensive coordinator Brian Johnson may be in the running for some head coaching jobs this offense and Mullen explained why he’s a valuable coach.

“He’s a great coach at his position, smart, involved in game planning… he’s mature, even though he’s young, very mature for his age… he’s going to be a great head coach as soon as someone gives him his opportunity,” Mullen said, and added that Johnson played in a BCS bowl at the age of 16, although he was not sure if he was 16 or 17 during the time of the game. Mullen said he was the youngest quarterback to ever play in a BCS bowl.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1