2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

1 minute ago, wardly said:

We have one of the worst football programs in college football so maybe we should think outside the box as what we are doing is not working.

From 2005 to 2010 and again in 2015 I would agree with you. Any one of those seasons we would’ve traded in a heartbeat to be 3-3 and tied for first in conference. People denigrate the conference and say we only beat bad teams and that is fine but back them even the bad teams beat us most of the time. We were routinely in ESPN’s bottom ten and often involved in their pillow fight of the week. Things aren’t as good as we would like but we are not one of the worst teams in college football.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

From 2005 to 2010 and again in 2015 I would agree with you. Any one of those seasons we would’ve traded in a heartbeat to be 3-3 and tied for first in conference. People denigrate the conference and say we only beat bad teams and that is fine but back them even the bad teams beat us most of the time. We were routinely in ESPN’s bottom ten and often involved in their pillow fight of the week. Things aren’t as good as we would like but we are not one of the worst teams in college football.

Well the pundits who weekly rank teams have us at 115 out of 130, which makes us one of the worst teams this year in football. In fact, historically we been at the bottom of the barrel with a few exceptions. In 59' we won 9 games with Abner Haynes.Hayden Fry won 10 games in 1977 and 9 games in 1978.Darrell Dickey won 9 games in 2003, as McCarney did in 2013. I believe Littrell has had two 9 win seasons when he had Mason Fine. Another poster said that UNT has only won 40% of football games played ( I don't remember in how many years). My point is that not only are we one of the worst teams this year in football, we historically have been bad. What ever we are doing it's not working, and if we do make a coaching change ( I think that's a big IF ) we might need to think outside the box and try something different. Since my freshman year of 1961 we have had 12 head coaches , firing 8 in a row beginning with Bob Tyler in 1981.( Littrell would be the 9th if terminated). This is unacceptable no matter how you sugar coat it , but we seem to just smile and take another bite.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Well the pundits who weekly rank teams have us at 115 out of 130, which makes us one of the worst teams this year in football. In fact, historically we been at the bottom of the barrel with a few exceptions. In 59' we won 9 games with Abner Haynes.Hayden Fry won 10 games in 1977 and 9 games in 1978.Darrell Dickey won 9 games in 2003, as McCarney did in 2013. I believe Littrell has had two 9 win seasons when he had Mason Fine. Another poster said that UNT has only won 40% of football games played ( I don't remember in how many years). My point is that not only are we one of the worst teams this year in football, we historically have been bad. What ever we are doing it's not working, and if we do make a coaching change ( I think that's a big IF ) we might need to think outside the box and try something different. Since my freshman year of 1961 we have had 12 head coaches , firing 8 in a row beginning with Bob Tyler in 1981.( Littrell would be the 9th if terminated). This is unacceptable no matter how you sugar coat it , but we seem to just smile and take another bite.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/cbs-sports-rankings/

CBS has us at 96, 3 spots ahead of Virginia Tech.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Expectations have changed though, no?   
There were no expectations of UNT football during the Dodge years, except for exciting offensive football.   And between Casey Fitzgerald, Riley Dodge, & Lance Dunbar, he delivered.  No one expected winning football though.   #Hit6 was a lofty goal.

That said, I don't think it's fair to look at history as a reason to accept .500 (or sub .500) football today.

Look at UCF.  They didn't accept mediocrity & look at where it got them!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Expectations have changed though, no?   
There were no expectations of UNT football during the Dodge years, except for exciting offensive football.   And between Casey Fitzgerald, Riley Dodge, & Lance Dunbar, he delivered.  No one expected winning football though.   #Hit6 was a lofty goal.

That said, I don't think it's fair to look at history as a reason to accept .500 (or sub .500) football today.

Look at UCF.  They didn't accept mediocrity & look at where it got them!

Regardless of expectations and whether you want Littrell gone or not, I was simply saying we are not “one of the worst teams in college football” as he stated.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/cbs-sports-rankings/

CBS has us at 96, 3 spots ahead of Virginia Tech.

I didn't see CBS. Poll I saw was UNT at 115. Regardless ,we are between the bottom 15% or 30% of 1A programs. If you threw in 1AA programs like the Dakota and Montana schools we would be even lower.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, wardly said:

I didn't see CBS. Poll I saw was UNT at 115. Regardless ,we are between the bottom 15% or 30% of 1A programs. If you threw in 1AA programs like the Dakota and Montana schools we would be even lower.

And if you throw out the P5 schools we’d be even higher.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

42 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Regardless of expectations and whether you want Littrell gone or not, I was simply saying we are not “one of the worst teams in college football” as he stated.

I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.   

Some might say if you're ranked in the bottom quarter of all FBS teams, you're "one of the worst" teams in college football.
Some might only think you're "one of the worst" if you're listed in the bottom10 poll.
Some in the Sooner state might think you're "one of the worst teams in college football" if you lose to the Longhorns 49-0.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.   

Some might say if you're ranked in the bottom quarter of all FBS teams, you're "one of the worst" teams in college football.
Some might only think you're "one of the worst" if you're listed in the bottom10 poll.
Some in the Sooner state might think you're "one of the worst teams in college football" if you lose to the Longhorns 49-0.

I agree. It is all based on how many you include in best or worst. I guess what he said is fair because you could make the case if you are in the bottom half you are one of the worst. I was just basing my worst on what was the lowest of lows of my own Mean Green fandom experience. Carry on.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I agree. It is all based on how many you include in best or worst. I guess what he said is fair because you could make the case if you are in the bottom half you are one of the worst. I was just basing my worst on what was the lowest of lows of my own Mean Green fandom experience. Carry on.

Definitely.   If you would have asked me in 2009 if we were "one of the worst teams in college football, I would have checked to see if we were on the Bottom 10 poll.   If not, then "NOPE!"

Expectations changed though, and with that, my definition of what "one of the worst" is.

Today, I still don't think we're "one of the worst teams in college football" (especially since we're surrounded by some of those teams in our own conference), but we're much closer to that than we are to "one of the best".

• Upvote 3

I think looking at NT football history is very interesting, but it can also be very misleading.   Prior to McCarney, NT never was a significant factor in football with the exception of the late sixties and early seventies when early integration provided a great advantage to NT.  

McCarney was not a particularly good coach, but his hiring signaled that NT was willing to invest in their program.

If Littrell is not maintained, I would guess the next coach will be an established name with hc experience.  Most teams have a pattern, when replacing head coaches.  If they hired an experienced hc before and he failed, then they will go in the opposite direction and hire an assistant at a major program or a success at a lower level of competition. 

Whatever, I do have confidence in Baker and believe if a coaching change is made; NT will get a good coach.  NT is paying a top level salary for a G5 and has overall very good facilities. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In my opinion, one of the most oft forgotten aspects of hiring a successful football coach is personality. How does this person relate to the students, the community, the area, the media?

"Athletic directors have several responsibilities. They fundraise. They manage facilities. But nothing is more important than hiring coaches, especially for football.

“College football is the economic engine that allows us to support all of our sports, minus men’s basketball,” said Hocutt, in his 11th year at Texas Tech. “And your football coach almost always is the most highly recognizable figure on your college campus, as well as within your community. To have a positive and authentic leader in that position is your top priority.”

From the article, Keeping college football coaching searches secret: Mission (nearly) impossible for ADs
https://theathletic.com/3654950/2022/10/12/college-football-coaching-search-firms-secret/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

• Upvote 2

No high school coach period! Worst decision we could make! Now, hire a D-! coach with a winning track record; must have recruited Texas high school football and understands the importance of defense...maybe a highly regarded assistant at a winning P5 program in Texas...lots of candidates, no re-treads!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

SL will get an extension and be back for the next three years.  Nothing changes in Denton.

Then sadly the history of NT alums not following UNT football after they leave will continue and we should have some really "average" performances in the American.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He would be a great hire. Neal Brown's offense put up 50 on us a few years ago in the NOLA bowl. I bet he would actually hire a QB coach that played the position.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1