Jump to content

2023 Head Coach Candidates


jtm0097
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I think you're right. I'm sure search firms could potentially have some names to share with Wren that they've heard could be interested. I think the main reason most AD's and coaches want to use search firms is to avoid freedom of information requests that could put their business out there in the news.

That and you don’t want to piss your current coach off by recruiting for his job before he’s gone. And it can get complicated to reach out to current coaches during their seasons. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmmm... NIL Effective date was July 1, 2021.  Just over a year ago.  

SMU was recruiting the heck out of Southern Dallas County for much longer than that.   Do you not remember getting torched by Danny Gray, Reggie Roberson, & Roderick Daniels over the past few seasons?  How 'bout Tre Siggers deciding to leave UNT, only to be on SMU's roster about 1 week later?

SMU signed all of these dudes because of a person on their staff with "ties", not NIL money (pre 2021).

This. They've marketed themselves as the inclusive Dallas team and it's worked. For several years I've been seeing billboards highlighting their athletes and what South of 30 school the kids come from.

Denton would be wise to hire some assistants from Collin County and Denton County and highlight their local players. Become the DFW college destination of choice for the northern counties. Fort worth has Tarrant County. SMU has Dallas and Ellis County. We should be able to take Denton, Collin, and add in Rockwall counties. Tap into Oklahoma due to proximity. We always say there's a ton of talent here and it's a recruiting goldmine. That doesn't mean we need to fight all over DFW for every recruit. Focus on being even more local.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This. They've marketed themselves as the inclusive Dallas team and it's worked. For several years I've been seeing billboards highlighting their athletes and what South of 30 school the kids come from.

Denton would be wise to hire some assistants from Collin County and Denton County and highlight their local players. Become the DFW college destination of choice for the northern counties. Fort worth has Tarrant County. SMU has Dallas and Ellis County. We should be able to take Denton, Collin, and add in Rockwall counties. Tap into Oklahoma due to proximity. We always say there's a ton of talent here and it's a recruiting goldmine. That doesn't mean we need to fight all over DFW for every recruit. Focus on being even more local.

We had a golden opportunity to do so with a guy from Allen HS who actually had FBS Head coaching experience to boot!    Instead, he’s an “analyst” at South Florida.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We had a golden opportunity to do so with a guy from Allen HS who actually had FBS Head coaching experience to boot!    Instead, he’s an “analyst” at South Florida.

Didn't realize he was at USF. I'm sure he would have loved to stay in the area with son playing nearby.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sean Payton? College football isn't the NFL, but with NIL and the portal, it's getting closer. The question is could Wren make UNT the right situation for Payton? 

 

 

“I really enjoy what I’m doing right now,” Payton said. “More than maybe then I thought. If the right situation presented itself, I would definitely be interested. There’s no utopia, if you will, when it comes to teams. If I felt like if it was the right situation, I would have an interest in that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/21/sean-payton-was-asked-if-he-wants-to-coach-in-2023

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Sean Payton? College football isn't the NFL, but with NIL and the portal, it's getting closer. The question is could Wren make UNT the right situation for Payton? 

 

 

“I really enjoy what I’m doing right now,” Payton said. “More than maybe then I thought. If the right situation presented itself, I would definitely be interested. There’s no utopia, if you will, when it comes to teams. If I felt like if it was the right situation, I would have an interest in that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/21/sean-payton-was-asked-if-he-wants-to-coach-in-2023

He had a lot of spunk when he was younger
 

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.07.22 PM.png

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Sean Payton? College football isn't the NFL, but with NIL and the portal, it's getting closer. The question is could Wren make UNT the right situation for Payton? 

 

 

“I really enjoy what I’m doing right now,” Payton said. “More than maybe then I thought. If the right situation presented itself, I would definitely be interested. There’s no utopia, if you will, when it comes to teams. If I felt like if it was the right situation, I would have an interest in that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/21/sean-payton-was-asked-if-he-wants-to-coach-in-2023

I thought he was set to take over McCarthy after this season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

Deion is also recruiting to an HBCU with a message that wouldn't work at UNT. His entire recruiting strategy is centered around telling African-American athletes they can make HBCUs great. Very niche. It's working for him so far. Helps that his son is the quarterback and was a 4-star recruit with offers from Michigan, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida State, and more.

All he has to do is go from selling athletes they can make HBCUs great to telling them they can make UNT great. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

All he has to do is go from selling athletes they can make HBCUs great to telling them they can make UNT great. 

Yes but the African-American community has a lot of pride for HBCUs. The same can't be said for the DFW area and UNT. Many of my co-workers went to HBCUs, a few played football at Southern, Mississippi Valley, one played basketball at Florida A&M, and even if they have an FBS favorite, there's always love for their HBCU. I've been around the Grambling/Prairie View festivities every year and really is something else. All that to say, the pride in building an HBCU to be a national power is much different than building UNT to be a national power. If a guy like Deion were to have success here using similar recruiting points, he'd probably have to go back to Leon King and Abner Haynes integrating Texas college football at North Texas and prop up our place in the history of integration of college sports. Other than that, it's not the same message.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Agreed he’s a good one for sure.

I really like the guy. He grew up about 30 minutes from where I grew up here in  East Tennessee. I hoped Tennessee would hire him over Heupel. 
 

Maybe one of his coordinators will be on our board. I love the option offense they run. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some AD's are more confortable hiring a coach that they have worked with in the past, hence I would expect to see a candidate from Mizzo. Regardless, we can huff and puff but its Wren's decision. Let's  just hope we get a better hire than Auburn did when they employed the Boise State coach last year. Talk about putting a square stake in a round hole. That's why I prefer a coach with a Texas background but what do I know.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, wardly said:

Some AD's are more confortable hiring a coach that they have worked with in the past, hence I would expect to see a candidate from Mizzo. Regardless, we can huff and puff but its Wren's decision. Let's  just hope we get a better hire than Auburn did when they employed the Boise State coach last year. Talk about putting a square stake in a round hole. That's why I prefer a coach with a Texas background but what do I know.

Or Memphis?
justin-fuente.jpg

Or both Memphis & Mizzou?
54cac90a7c5c2.image.jpg

  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, Wag Tag said:

Herman and Fuente would be my 1-2. It is a lot harder to win at Texas than you would think. Get the NIL up and running and paying $2m to $2.2m we should have great options.

Winning it Denton is not exactly easy either. Let’s remember that Herman got fired at Texas for a reason. Hiring fired coaches is not a good plan. We may have a year or two of success but I think things would go downhill in a hurry.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Would be shocked if he came here. 

We could increase his pay by over $1 million and we have a higher potential than Coastal. Only legit reason he’d stay is because he thinks a good P5 offer is coming soon. 
Like I’ve previously said, he should be the first call. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

Winning it Denton is not exactly easy either. Let’s remember that Herman got fired at Texas for a reason. Hiring fired coaches is not a good plan. We may have a year or two of success but I think things would go downhill in a hurry.

My Longhorn friends say Herman is an asshole who has a problem with the bottle.Buyer beware.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.