2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

54 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Morris was HC at IWU for a few yrs before leaving to OC a P5

His UIW teams were middling around until last year.  If we wanted that, we could have kept Littrell.

If he thought he could keep it going, why wouldn't he have stayed?     Leaving a HC position to become an OC at a P5 also-ran is a red flag to me.      There are just so many better options.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

His UIW teams were middling around until last year.  If we wanted that, we could have kept Littrell.

If he thought he could keep it going, why wouldn't he have stayed?     Leaving a HC position to become an OC at a P5 also-ran is a red flag to me.      There are just so many better options.

Not saying I want him, he just checks the HC experience box for me. I dont see an obvious choice right now. I think Herman would have been the slam dunk hire for us if he didn't go to FAU. 

• Upvote 2

Ed Orgeron, Chris Peterson, and Sumlin are apparently in the running at UNLV. Gary Patterson’s name has also been mentioned. These seem like the type of names UNT will be able to go after.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/sources-add-orgeron-petersen-to-list-of-unlv-candidates-2688077/

Edited by EagleTech
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, EagleTech said:

Ed Orgeron, Chris Peterson, and Sumlin are apparently in the running at UNLV. Gary Patterson’s name has also been mentioned. These seem like the type of names UNT will be able to go after.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/sources-add-orgeron-petersen-to-list-of-unlv-candidates-2688077/

Yes. We need to be talking to everyone listed above. Along with Fuente, Holtz, Mullen, Riley, Gillespie, Walters, Morris, K Briles.

I don’t think Bob Stoops wants to coach at the college level again, but I’d still call and make him tell me “No thanks”. Shoot your shot.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, EagleTech said:

Is Chris Peterson still interested in coaching? I’d like that hire a lot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

22 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I hope that whoever they hire comes in with a fire and excitement towards the fans/community like Traylor and McGuire have shown. I think this program needs a shot of adrenaline from the head coach!

Absolutely.    You've gotta live in Denton (or at least Argyle), and recruit the heck out of Guyer, Ryan & Argyle with a message of Denton love.

• Upvote 2

Only if you want to build back to a time when folks got excited about UNT football or want a coach with the fire and passion for his athletes and his program to dance near naked on the field. If not You best stay away from Carthel. If you want a coach that knows this was a step down for him. Get your name! With the digs we have and our location. Carthel will smoke Traylor and Joey. Look he saved d2 commerce and he’s had numerous top recruiting classes in fcs

Edited by TalonsUp
  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

4 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Only if you want to build back to a time when folks got excited about UNT football or want a coach with the fire and passion for his athletes and his program to dance near naked on the field. You best stay away from Carthel. If you want a coach that knows this was a step down for him. Get your name! With the digs we have and our location. Carthel will smoke Traylor and Joey. Look he saved d2 commerce and he’s had numerous top recruiting classes in fcs

Was wondering when this guy's shills would come back around.   Inevitable.

Great idea guys!    Let's fire a guy who was middling around in C-USA so we can hire a guy who's middling around in FCS!!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Great idea guys!    Let's fire a guy who was middling around in C-USA so we can hire a guy who's middling around in FCS!!

Exactly! UNLV is targeting coaches with a National Title and another with BCS Bowl wins. FAU hired Tom Herman. And we should seriously consider mid tier FCS coaches? 😂😂

Seriously - people need to get their heads around the fact that we can and will pay more for the next than we did Seth. Massive increase in enrollment at UNT, increase in AAC’s conference distribution, and commitment of big donors. 

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They won their conference this year and he has fantastic taste in safeties coaches.

Hardware

Edited by Cr1028

3 schools this year topped all programs. Traylor Joey and Spikes. These first 2 cats had less skins than Carthel. Big Ed wants to get closer to the dice table and the purty girls. Let UNlv shoot their shot it ain’t happening. Ok we have a boatload of money pay a coach get a staff and use the leftovers for Nil. I’d also be willing to say if you walked into any school in the dfw. Carthel will be better received than Fuente or sumlin or holtz

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Pellom said:

I would hire Joe Gillespie and keep Bloesch as OC (assuming they had a good relationship at Tulsa). 

I think UNT will try for a bigger name: Patterson, Fuente, etc. 

Gillespie and Emmett Jones are the two I'd really want if we went the McGuire/Traylor approach.

But I agree. I think they're gonna swing for the fences on this.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They were 6-5 on the year.    Sounds kinda like what we did this year, except we didn't win our 'ship.

Yes and Skip Holtz last year was 3-9 and Willie Fritz went 2-10 last year and Fuente went 5-5 his last season. The point was, they had a down season and still found a way to win the hardware which is SFA’s first conference title in 12 years.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Gary Patterson. 

Make it clear that the expectation is to build the program quickly and win the AAC within the next three years. Give him the funds to bring a quality OC and DC, and set the expectation that either the OC or DC will take over as HC when he's ready to retire.

Doing this will help us leverage one of the most successful football minds of the past two decades who is living down the road right now, build a strong program with a coach who knows how to win at the highest level, and set us up for sustained success with a HC in training. 

Gary Patterson is such a wild card. I think we all question if he still has the hunger for the the grind to build a program up. I feel like he could be a huge success or a big dud with no in-between. 

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not sure what you mean by "middling around".  He took over a program that went 13-31 the four years prior to his arrival including 1-10 the year before (2017) he was hired.  He then produced teams that went 6-5, 5-7, 3-3, 10-3 and his recruits are currently 11-1 on this year and still in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not sure what you mean by "middling around".  He took over a program that went 13-31 the four years prior to his arrival including 1-10 the year before (2017) he was hired.  He then produced teams that went 6-5, 5-7, 3-3, 10-3 and his recruits are currently 11-1 on this year and still in the playoffs.

AND GJ Kinne rides Morris coat tail and Tex State believes that this years team is full of kinne recruits and gives him a couple mil. Wow