2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

8 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That’s a shot at North Texas. I’m guessing he’s another one pissed that we fired Littrell. It’s amazing how many out there have such a low opinion of UNT. “You should never expect anything better then .500 how dare you think you can do better”

It’s a major insult. 

Surely McMurphy understands that more needs to change than just a coach, but it ignites the fire in a fanbase to find new resources. I hope Seth goes on to coach at his dream job and win another national championship.

OU fans and fans at schools with endless resources have no clue how schools at our level look at these things.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That’s a shot at North Texas. I’m guessing he’s another one pissed that we fired Littrell. It’s amazing how many out there have such a low opinion of UNT. “You should never expect anything better then .500 how dare you think you can do better”

It’s a major insult. 

It's wildly insulting. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand how y'all can look at the last 20 years and submit one formula or stereotype as the solution.  Or even next step.  We've already tried them all.  The recruiter.  The P5 retread.  The rockstar coordinator.

I feel like a lot of failure in this position is because we hire these guys that come in with their system, and when the hit adversity they don't know how to adjust.  They keep spewing the same old cliches, trying the same old routines on-field, then get burnt out.  What do they say about the definition of insanity?

I don't know what the specific answer is, but put me down for the guy that is determined to figure out Denton, and will adapt as needed.  Comes in, knows what is needed to win the AAC.  Knows when to ask for help from his assistants.  The guy that doesn't ignore NIL.  The guy that will not make excuses for mediocrity.  Bring in a guy that wants to figure out how to win in Denton and will do anything to get there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

No offense to anyone on this board, but if they need this input this program is screwed. I hope they already have a list narrowed down to a handful of coaches… with conversations already happening.

They need to hear from us fans. Hell the majority of us on this board either have season tickets or use to have tickets. If you screw up this hire, the fans are not going to show up. Obviously its their decision to make.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

No offense to anyone on this board, but if they need this input this program is screwed. I hope they already have a list narrowed down to a handful of coaches… with conversations already happening.

Was going to post the same response but figured I'd reached my limit of smarta$$ remarks for the night.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don't understand how y'all can look at the last 20 years and submit one formula or stereotype as the solution.  Or even next step.  We've already tried them all.  The recruiter.  The P5 retread.  The rockstar coordinator.

I feel like a lot of failure in this position is because we hire these guys that come in with their system, and when the hit adversity they don't know how to adjust.  They keep spewing the same old cliches, trying the same old routines on-field, then get burnt out.  What do they say about the definition of insanity?

I don't know what the specific answer is, but put me down for the guy that is determined to figure out Denton, and will adapt as needed.  Comes in, knows what is needed to win the AAC.  Knows when to ask for help from his assistants.  The guy that doesn't ignore NIL.  The guy that will not make excuses for mediocrity.  Bring in a guy that wants to figure out how to win in Denton and will do anything to get there. 

gettyimages-514699484.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

If someone showed up tomorrow and invested a billion dollars in the program, we'd be competing for a title in a few years or at the very least, we'd be a top tier, competitive program.

Yes, I know that's a crazy example.

Bottom line, we all know money rules the landscape. 

While I know it's alot more realistic that we'll have to settle for a retread or an up and comer, I'm holding out hope that somehow someway, the powers that be come up with the cash to land an established, proven coach.

Do we have the resources to go after an A-list hire?

The investment in our facilities tells me there's a genuine interest in seeing the university's athletic program continue to grow. 

Of course I know a big paycheck doesn't necessarily translate to success. We know that for sure!

But you won't attract any true, A-list candidates if you're not willing to shell out some cash.

Here's hoping UNT can dig deep to attract a game-changer! A man can dream right? 

GMG

Edited by South Texas Green
  • Upvote 1

https://theathletic.com/3969294/2022/12/04/north-texas-fires-coach-seth-littrell/

Potential head coaching candidates

This job will get a lot of interest because of its location, facilities and investment. Potential names to watch include former Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente, TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley and Washington State offensive coordinator Eric Morris. But it’s also notable that athletic director Wren Baker left for West Virginia last week.

42 minutes ago, South Texas Green said:

https://theathletic.com/3969294/2022/12/04/north-texas-fires-coach-seth-littrell/

This job will get a lot of interest because of its location, facilities and investment. Potential names to watch include former Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente, TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley and Washington State offensive coordinator Eric Morris. But it’s also notable that athletic director Wren Baker left for West Virginia last week.

Riley or Morris seem ideal, but I think Neal and Co are going for a guy with HFC experience?🤷🏼‍♂️

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, South Texas Green said:

Pretty sure these guys took a gander at this board a time or two with the names they threw out there.

Gary Patterson. 

Make it clear that the expectation is to build the program quickly and win the AAC within the next three years. Give him the funds to bring a quality OC and DC, and set the expectation that either the OC or DC will take over as HC when he's ready to retire.

Doing this will help us leverage one of the most successful football minds of the past two decades who is living down the road right now, build a strong program with a coach who knows how to win at the highest level, and set us up for sustained success with a HC in training. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Riley or Morris seem ideal, but I think Neal and Co are going for a guy with HFC experience?🤷🏼‍♂️

I'd rather have TCU's defensive coordinator, Joe Gillespie. 

https://gofrogs.com/staff-directory/joe-gillespie/652

Joe Gillespie arrived at TCU in December 2021 as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.

Gillespie previously spent seven seasons at Tulsa, including the final three as defensive coordinator. He was a high school football coach for 20 years in the state of Texas.

In 2020, Gillespie was named National Linebackers Coach of the Year by FootballScoop and was a finalist for Defensive Coordinator of the Year.

Before coming to Tulsa, Gillespie served seven years (2008-14) as the athletic director and head football coach at Stephenville High School. His teams compiled a 72-23 record (.758), winning a 2012 state championship, three district titles while sharing one and advancing to the state playoffs seven times.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

That is my favorite too I think. Will be hungry. Probably gets the portal. I think those two things are crucial. Someone who had HC experience at the FCS level and was good. Knows Texas and additionally has now spent a year seeing how this works in a bigger program.

That said he is by far not the only option. Riley would also appear to be a very good option. I could also live with bringing in Harrel and giving him a shot, or Baby Briles, providing he signs that he would never hire his dad. Finally I would also be ok with a successful sitting FCS or sun belt  coach. Or Skip Holtz (someone who did more with less than he would have here). If its a retread it better not be someone with rumors flying around that he got tired of recruiting or failed to adapt to the portal. I get why people would get tired of recruiting and dislike the portal, but it is an essential part of the job in the here and now.

Edited by outoftown