2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Rich Rod.  There.  I said it.  I liked his offense at WVU.  Went 60-26

Tanked at Michigan.
43-35 @ Arizona, while going 3-for 5 in bowl games.
Currently 8-2 in year 1 Jacksonville State

Don't hate it... don't know if I love it. I could be convinced 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 2

I really doubt we are going to make a move after the season, but this was a fun exercise. Here are a few updates according to the great folks at Football Scoop.

Matt Rhule- accepted Nebraska job

Skip Holtz- Top Candidate for UAB

Hugh Freeze- in negotiations with Auburn

Tom Herman- linked to Arizona, Colorado, and USF openings

Jamey Chadwell- linked to the Georgia Tech job

• Upvote 2

On 11/18/2022 at 8:14 PM, greenminer said:

Rich Rod.  There.  I said it.  I liked his offense at WVU.  Went 60-26

Tanked at Michigan.
43-35 @ Arizona, while going 3-for 5 in bowl games.
Currently 8-2 in year 1 Jacksonville State

Didn’t Rodrigues have some controversy at Michigan on how he treated his players? Kinda like what Mangino did at Kansas?

• Eye Roll 1

29 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

g.j. kinne looks very appealing to me. 

10-1  at iwu. Top offense in fcs. Knows east Texas, Knows qbs. His defense also only gives up 19 points 

Morris would be my pick. With the TP I think it will be more important to be able to evaluate talent than recruit HS kids.

38 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Damn, NT was so close……

Too bad Wren didn’t even think about anything remotely close to doing something like this. 

USF is also in play for Deion and I'd see him going there or staying at Jackson State before going to Colorado. Too much of an uphill battle. He can go to USF, dominate an easier conference than the Pac 12, and make the playoffs with less opposition. Based on his few coaching stops, he's more likely to go places where he has an advantage over his immediate competition. He won't have that at Colorado.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

USF is also in play for Deion and I'd see him going there or staying at Jackson State before going to Colorado. Too much of an uphill battle. He can go to USF, dominate an easier conference than the Pac 12, and make the playoffs with less opposition. Based on his few coaching stops, he's more likely to go places where he has an advantage over his immediate competition. He won't have that at Colorado.

He can come to NT and be near Jerry Jones! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

I played him in high school.  He was a beast

Yeah I was at the game in 06 when Liberty Eylau beat them in Longview.  There was a ton of talent on the field that night. I didn't play against Kinne, but I did against Gilmer in 05 and L-E in 05/06.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

They're all gone...another round of .500 and mumbles

I updated the first page with the new schools for the coaches that were hired. The crazy thing is that outside of Trent Dilfer we had most of the newly hired coaches on our list. Oh well, I will start this list again next year, and at the end I will email it to the new Athletic Director. Thanks to everyone that participated. We had 25 pages of content.

There’s a coach that was brought up a while back. He had great G5 success. Now that you look back at his P5 experience….he actually ended up being better that thought when he got let go, especially seeing that he didn’t get the recruits that the current guy gets. He knows Texas. Runs a high powered offense. 

What is Kevin Sumlin doing? I’m still intrigued by him.

Pluses? Minuses?