Bill Clark / Bryan Vincent (i)

TBA

USF

Jeff Scott

TBA

WISCONSIN

Paul Chryst / Jim Leonhard (i)

TBA

And Littrell just got blown out by that interim coach. A trend becomes a pattern

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

One thing I will say about Hermann is that I liked how highly he spoke of NT when he was calling one of our games. It was borderline like he knew the gig would be open soon and wanted to get his name thrown in the mix. He does check a lot boxes but wasn't one of his issues at Texas that he rubbed many players, coaches, and boosters the wrong way with his attitude? I could be off on that but I thought I remembered a lot of people really didn't like him on his way out? 

4 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Yes he had a very bad attitude and ran the program like a frat. Also on a few occasions made fun of opposing and did stupid things like flipping off the camera. Not to mention his history with Zack Smith and being a big fan of strip clubs lol

Yep, his biggest problem was being an arrogant jerk. He was always the smartest man in the room and made sure everyone else knew about it. Way too cocky. He didn’t come across that way when calling our game but it is possible he has seen the error of his ways. He wasn’t a bad coach at texas but he wasn’t good enough to offset his personality. 

He is very much disliked in Houston for the way he left the UH program. He called to let them know the vehicle they paid for him to drive was at the airport for them to pick up because he wasn’t coming back.

He taunted an opposing quarterback on national television once. 
tom-herman-is-a-silly-goose.gif

Not a good look for a professional.

If he has grown up and got that all out of his system he really could be a phenomenal coach for us (until he leaves our car at the airport) because the man is obviously very smart and knows a boatload about football.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Neal Brown HC and Graham Harrell OC here would be fine with me. 

I kinda think Brown is in the same boat as Littrell.   He has up to 3 games left.   Lose any of the next games and he's gone.   Win the next two, which is going to be virtually impossible VS KSSt & OKSt, and he's miraculously going bowling.

Brown + Harrell would be huge here.   I could do without Lesley (his DC) though.

39 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Our offense has been really good. I believe a lot of the issues are built around the fact they don’t necessarily trust Aune to do what they want him to do. 

Too early to say on the recruiting front. He hasn’t been here that long, and it’s hard to get a gauge on how hard we’re trying to actually recruit high school players. 

It's crazy how Bloesch has squeezed blood from the turnip.   Look at Aune's stats!   And look at how potent the offense can be despite lackluster QB play.   Bloesch is a really good X's & O's OC.   If he had a top-tier QB, his offense would be pretty dangerous.  I don't know that he will be at UNT next season regardless of what happens with Littrell.  His stock is up coaching the #15 offense in the country.   
This, as-opposed to his DC counterpart that everyone thinks is so great, but who simply isn't getting the job done with our #122 (out of 131) defense in the country.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Boxes like “helped Nick Saban’s Alabama lose to ULM”, “helped get Mack Brown run out of Austin”, “not good enough to follow Tom Herman to Texas”(this might have been due to his student trainer affair though), and “not good enough to keep the UH job”.

I had forgotten about his off-field issue but what I obviously meant was: experienced OC, HC experience, and brand name in Texas. 
And now he is paying dues at the lower levels, which is something many of us also prioritize. 

He wouldn’t be my first choice but certainly wouldn’t be a horrible option. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Wild that just a few years ago so many were requesting a Briles coach despite what happened at Baylor but now everybody is upset about Herman being arrogant. One is not like the other yet it appears some would rather have one who allegedly covered up rape allegations over one who's just a dick. Odd.

I’m not upset about Herman, I was just pointing out why he has a reputation and his former schools didn’t like him. I’d be happy to have Herman or Briles take over. Either one would have us at the top of the AAC in no time.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not upset about Herman, I was just pointing out why he has a reputation and his former schools didn’t like him. I’d be happy to have Herman or Briles take over. Either one would have us at the top of the AAC in no time.

Wasn't necessarily directed at you. I've seen many express concern for Herman's arrogance yet so many around here were saying hiring Art Briles would be fine because people would forget about the rape situation when UNT was winning. Just strange.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

I respectfully must disagree.  Brown has been very successful at the G5 level.  He did not fare well at the P5 level but in his defense his location and resources are near the bottom of Big 12 teams.

Oh, make no mistake, I’m not talking about their coaching acumen being the same.

I’m talking about the holes they’ve dug for themselves at their respective schools.   Both are pretty much in win-or-you’re-out positions now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Wasn't necessarily directed at you. I've seen many express concern for Herman's arrogance yet so many around here were saying hiring Art Briles would be fine because people would forget about the rape situation when UNT was winning. Just strange.

I get your point on the double standard. I, for one, do think many people would put the Baylor stuff to bed if we could weather the months long PR firestorm and Briles was winning. If he was hired here and won a conference title he would be hired away by a p5 (if they weren’t concerned about his age) within 2 years, no question in my mind. Hell we seem to have hired half of his staff already anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pellom said:

New Split Zone Duo Patreon podcast is out. 

Godfrey says job is going to open and Deion Sanders is the rumored target. 

Also says UAB is targeting Fuente. 

From a recruiting standpoint, Deion would be a no brainer. I just don't know about everything else.

Maybe the recruiting edge would be enough for us to stay competitive in the AAC. He's had two very good years, and that is probably due to the talent he's bringing in. Coaching wise? No idea

Edit: Also forgot to mention, this would be a LOT of eyes to the program. We would get regular national media attention, simply because of him. 

Hell, the more I think about it, the more I'd be down. His OC runs the air raid, so the offensive shift wouldn't be too dramatic

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

If we dance around with indecision on Seth and end up losing Fuente to say UAB or Memphis man it would sting.

Would Fuente even be high on the list if not for the whole “but he knows Wren Baker” bs? I don’t get the obsession with this guy, hell Wren Baker knows Darrell Dickey, Gary Pinkell, Barry Odom, and Josh Henson too. Why not call them?

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Would Fuente even be high on the list if not for the whole “but he knows Wren Baker” bs? I don’t get the obsession with this guy, hell Wren Baker knows Darrell Dickey, Gary Pinkell, Barry Odom, and Josh Henson too. Why not call them?

In addition to the Wren connection:

Overall winning HC record and winning record at both places he has coached. Bowl wins, conference championship, AAC and ACC coach of the year under his belt. Former QB and QB coach. Texas ties (coached at TCU 2007-11). Under 50. Incentive to return to the area (from Tulsa). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I'm sure Wren knows plenty more coaches around the country. One of the main reasons I'd like Fuente is his familiarity with the AAC and success he had at Memphis. I had to look it up because I was curious about what Memphis was before he got there. They won 5 total games combined in the 3 seasons before he got there. His 3rd season, Memphis won 10 games and 9 the following before being hired away. Memphis won 8+ games in the 4 years after he left. I'm not too familiar with their program but you can argue their recent success began with him and he recruited well enough for them to maintain that success.

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

From a recruiting standpoint, Deion would be a no brainer. I just don't know about everything else.

Maybe the recruiting edge would be enough for us to stay competitive in the AAC. He's had two very good years, and that is probably due to the talent he's bringing in. Coaching wise? No idea

I'm not sold on Deion either but another poster made a good point the other day - how many quality coaches would want to work for Deion? If he could bring in an A+ coaching staff, he doesn't matter as much as the HC. As a football HC, his job is to surround himself with top-notch coordinators and position coaches. I think his name could attract some great coaches. The next question is could UNT pay enough to get those guys in Denton.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

In addition to the Wren connection:

Overall winning HC record and winning record at both places he has coached. Bowl wins, conference championship, AAC and ACC coach of the year under his belt. Former QB and QB coach. Texas ties (coached at TCU 2007-11). Under 50. Incentive to return to the area (from Tulsa). 

His conference record is essentially the same as Littrell’s and if you look at just Memphis, it is worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

His conference record is essentially the same as Littrell’s and if you look at just Memphis, it is worse.

The fact that he built Memphis up from the previous era under Porter (obviously going to struggle early on) into what it became under him, then under Norvell after he left (actually building a sustainable PROGRAM) is extremely enticing.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Do you think that the players and coaching you face at Jackson St are similar to what you face at Auburn?

This makes zero sense.  Do you think the players he is getting at JSU would start at Auburn outside of 1 or 2?

• Downvote 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, wardly said:

I read where he was paid $1 million by the Birmingham team he manages and coaches.

https://www.zgr.net/en/wiki/skip-holtz-salary-2022-how-much-is-usfl-head-coach-earning/

Skip Holtz has not disclosed his current contract agreement with Birmingham Stallions to the public. It is estimated that he earns a salary of around $1 million per year.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This makes zero sense.  Do you think the players he is getting at JSU would start at Auburn outside of 1 or 2?

He's brought in 6 4* guys and 1 5* guy over the past 2 seasons at JSU.    So yeah, I think he'd do well recruiting to Auburn & their boosters (sorry, I mean NIL program).

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's brought in 6 4* guys and 1 5* guy over the past 2 seasons at JSU.    So yeah, I think he'd do well recruiting to Auburn & their boosters (sorry, I mean NIL program).

I think the point he's trying to make is Deion Sanders is beating FCS competition with FCS competition which isn't completely accurate. There's what? 30 FBS transfers at Jackson State and like you said, six 4 star and one 5 star guys from HS. He's not beating FCS teams with mostly FCS talent which to me, lestens his record a bit. Imagine a P5 going to CUSA but keeping the P5 recruiting. I'm sure that P5 would dominate similar to Jackson State in the SWAC. You can't coach size and speed. Jackson State outclasses their competition on that front.