2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We can have a similar effect getting a guy like Tom Herman who's a much more experienced coach. While he's not "Coach Prime," he's an excellent recruiter and the question of "do you want to play at UTSA or do you want to play for Tom Herman" still applies. The guy got Ed Oliver, a 5 star recruit, to UH. While I understand Oliver's brother was also at UH, that's never stopped other players from committing elsewhere. Zach Orr had 2 brothers play FBS football and none of them 3 played at the same school.

I just don't like the idea of UNT being grounds for another experiment. We did the Dodge HS to FBS experiment. Why do we need to be grounds for another? His coaching experience is at Prime Prep Academy which failed. Then Triple A Academy, a small charter school. After that, Trinity Christian HS before being where he is now. He does not have enough experience to be an FBS football coach for my liking.

All valid points. 

I’ll throw one more thing out there. And I have no idea where Deion’s head and heart is here. But not only could he upgrade player recruiting. What kind of coordinators and coaches could he bring in? If I’m Deion and I’m not going P5 just yet, could I get some A+ coordinators to run the X’s and O’s to show I’m the CEO that can bring the players and coaches to win? 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

All valid points. 

I’ll throw one more thing out there. And I have no idea where Deion’s head and heart is here. But not only could he upgrade player recruiting. What kind of coordinators and coaches could he bring in? If I’m Deion and I’m not going P5 just yet, could I get some A+ coordinators to run the X’s and O’s to show I’m the CEO that can bring the players and coaches to win? 

I think he could. Sadly, I don't know Deion which means I don't know who he is behind closed doors. If he's secretly the humble type who allows the experts do what they're paid to do, I think that can work and he likely would have a line of A+ coordinators trying to come over. If he's the Jerry Jones type who wants all the credit, it won't matter who he brings in at coordinator.

All this Deion to P5 talk is great, by the way, but I'll be shocked if a school like Auburn actually pulls the trigger on him. Those guys are trying to win national championships. I doubt they're going to try an experiment like Deion considering how cutthroat the P5 world is and how much a failed experiment could set them back. While Auburn's recruiting has certainly slipped these past couple years from consistent top 10s to 20th and 21st ranked nationally, they can climb back to top 10 rankings with a big name hire who has more than 2 years college coaching experience. Let's be honest, now; Deion isn't out-coaching Saban, Brian Kelly, Kirby Smart, Kiffin, Heupel, and so on.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Arkansas is floundering.  Wonder if some of their staff could be free after this season.   Maybe a certain DC who paired with Justin Fuente to dominate the AAC at Memphis while working for Wren Baker?

Fuente and Herman are my 1a and 1b in no particular order. We don't need a young up and coming coach who may or may not figure it out or a guy who's been coaching for 5 years. Get me a guy who's done it at the AAC level before.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

21 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Deion ain't it to me. The guy has never coached anywhere he's been at a disadvantage. He was the OC at a private HS for a few years with his son as QB and now has his son, a 4 star recruit, playing against FCS competition. With his name recognition, he's brought in talent that again far outweighs his competition. That talent gap shrinks at the FBS level. When that talent gap shrinks, coaching is the difference. He's yet to be in a position where elite coaching matters because his name has always brought in top talent.

My opinion, Deion has been playing everybody, using his name to get his son to start at QB at smaller schools in smaller leagues to boost his stock and get him to the league.

Spot on with what I think. Not sure he could handle out coaching and not simply using pure player talent to beat teams

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think he could. Sadly, I don't know Deion which means I don't know who he is behind closed doors. If he's secretly the humble type who allows the experts do what they're paid to do, I think that can work and he likely would have a line of A+ coordinators trying to come over. If he's the Jerry Jones type who wants all the credit, it won't matter who he brings in at coordinator.

All this Deion to P5 talk is great, by the way, but I'll be shocked if a school like Auburn actually pulls the trigger on him. Those guys are trying to win national championships. I doubt they're going to try an experiment like Deion considering how cutthroat the P5 world is and how much a failed experiment could set them back. While Auburn's recruiting has certainly slipped these past couple years from consistent top 10s to 20th and 21st ranked nationally, they can climb back to top 10 rankings with a big name hire who has more than 2 years college coaching experience. Let's be honest, now; Deion isn't out-coaching Saban, Brian Kelly, Kirby Smart, Kiffin, Heupel, and so on.

Auburn and any P5 school who is seriously planning to contend for a NC will take a chance on Deion just yet. Like you said they don’t wanna try an experiment and, on top of that, lose their jobs in the process and maybe not find another one should it go badly. The big P5 schools are always looking for proven commodities and Deion isn’t one, atleast not yet. Kiffin will be Auburns new HC and Ole Piss will likely promote from within or bring back Jeff Lebby

Edited by MeanGreen4Life1998
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Auburn and any P5 school who is seriously planning to contend for a NC will take a chance on Deion just yet. Like you said they don’t wanna try an experiment and, on top of that, lose their jobs in the process and maybe not find another one should it go badly. The big P5 schools are always looking for proven commodities and Deion isn’t one, atleast not yet. Kiffin will be Auburns new HC and Ole Piss will likely promote from within

What HASNT he proven yet?    He's only lost 2 games over the past 2 seasons.   1 of which was the Celebration Bowl, which is basically the HBCU National Championship game.   If I'm Auburn, Deion is target #1 for me.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What HASNT he proven yet?    He's only lost 2 games over the past 2 seasons.   1 of which was the Celebration Bowl, which is basically the HBCU National Championship game.   If I'm Auburn, Deion is target #1 for me.

Do you think that the players and coaching you face at Jackson St are similar to what you face at Auburn?

But more so than that, do you think the admin there want to risk there futures on Deion? Already majorly screwed up on Harsin and now they need a homerun hire and Auburn fans and boosters will want a proven guy. I think most schools will need a few years of him at the G5 level

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

One thing I will say about Hermann is that I liked how highly he spoke of NT when he was calling one of our games. It was borderline like he knew the gig would be open soon and wanted to get his name thrown in the mix. He does check a lot boxes but wasn't one of his issues at Texas that he rubbed many players, coaches, and boosters the wrong way with his attitude? I could be off on that but I thought I remembered a lot of people really didn't like him on his way out? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

One thing I will say about Hermann is that I liked how highly he spoke of NT when he was calling one of our games. It was borderline like he knew the gig would be open soon and wanted to get his name thrown in the mix. He does check a lot boxes but wasn't one of his issues at Texas that he rubbed many players, coaches, and boosters the wrong way with his attitude? I could be off on that but I thought I remembered a lot of people really didn't like him on his way out? 

Yes he had a very bad attitude and ran the program like a frat. Also on a few occasions made fun of opposing and did stupid things like flipping off the camera. Not to mention his history with Zack Smith and being a big fan of strip clubs lol

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Yes he had a very bad attitude and ran the program like a frat. Also on a few occasions made fun of opposing and did stupid things like flipping off the camera. Not to mention his history with Zack Smith and being a big fan of strip clubs lol

Yeah, thank you. Sounds like a pretty big red flag but who knows. Maybe he learned his lesson from that. He is still a pretty good coach regardless and at least worth kicking the tires on

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Do you think that the players and coaching you face at Jackson St are similar to what you face at Auburn?

But more so than that, do you think the admin there want to risk there futures on Deion? Already majorly screwed up on Harsin and now they need a homerun hire and Auburn fans and boosters will want a proven guy. I think most schools will need a few years of him at the G5 level

Uh, I guess you'd be surprised at the types of players Deion has at JSU.  He'll do even better at Auburn... like instantly pull in the nations #1 class.    He is the home run hire, and the exact kind of guy you bet/risk on.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Uh, I guess you'd be surprised at the types of players Deion has at JSU.  He'll do even better at Auburn... like instantly pull in the nations #1 class.    He is the home run hire, and the exact kind of guy you bet/risk on.

Uhh i guess you’d be surprised to know that everyone in the SEC has elite talent. Wont just be him with elite talent like it is at JSU

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Uhh i guess you’d be surprised to know that everyone in the SEC has elite talent. Wont just be him with elite talent like it is at JSU

Are you saying he's only winning at JSU because he's recruiting well?   Shocking!   

Do you not think that recruiting would translate to the SEC where the NIL dollars would make it even easier for him to get the very best players?    I suppose you're saying he's not experienced enough to coach at this level (since talent wont be a problem)?   I'm saying that doesn't matter in his role.  He does what a great HC is supposed to do:  Collect talent & motivate them to win.   It's not necessary for a HC to be a super offensive or defensive genius.  That's what coordinators are for.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

PROGRAM 2022 HEAD COACH 2023 HEAD COACH

ARIZONA STATE

Herm Edwards

TBA

AUBURN

Bryan Harsin

TBA

CHARLOTTE

Will Healy

TBA

COLORADO

Karl Dorrell

TBA

GEORGIA TECH

Geoff Collins

TBA

NEBRASKA

Scott Frost / Mickey Joseph (i)

TBA

UAB

Bill Clark / Bryan Vincent (i)

TBA

USF

Jeff Scott

TBA

WISCONSIN

Paul Chryst / Jim Leonhard (i)

TBA

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pellom said:

Fuente still makes the most sense to me for a multitude of reasons, but I’m warming up to Joe Gillespie and keeping Mike Bloesch and the offensive staff. 

https://twitter.com/budelliott3/status/1592212035307474950?s=46&t=JVgqmJHbeRvLi_RpvXeGCg

Fuente's stock is rising as his replacement at Va Tech is having a horrible season with 7 straight losses, first time since 1951.  I think Fuente is a no brainer hire at this point especially since him and Wren worked together at Memphis.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Pellom said:

Fuente still makes the most sense to me for a multitude of reasons, but I’m warming up to Joe Gillespie and keeping Mike Bloesch and the offensive staff. 

https://twitter.com/budelliott3/status/1592212035307474950?s=46&t=JVgqmJHbeRvLi_RpvXeGCg

Interested as to why you would want to keep Bloesch on? I would think much of our gripes about offense would fall on him; QB play, play calling, schemes, execution, recruiting, etc. 

29 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Interested as to why you would want to keep Bloesch on? I would think much of our gripes about offense would fall on him; QB play, play calling, schemes, execution, recruiting, etc. 

Our offense has been really good. I believe a lot of the issues are built around the fact they don’t necessarily trust Aune to do what they want him to do. 

Too early to say on the recruiting front. He hasn’t been here that long, and it’s hard to get a gauge on how hard we’re trying to actually recruit high school players. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Our offense has been really good. I believe a lot of the issues are built around the fact they don’t necessarily trust Aune to do what they want him to do. 

Too early to say on the recruiting front. He hasn’t been here that long, and it’s hard to get a gauge on how hard we’re trying to actually recruit high school players. 

Our RBs have been excellent. Our offense has too many 3 and outs/red zone/sustained drive problems for me to feel confident about keeping Bloesch. 

I was not a fan of the "Let's wait and see what's left in the portal" approach to recruiting last year. They didn't go after much in the early signing period and settled for whatever was left. I think you need to go back and see how unhappy people were during that time.