2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

25 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

People say we need a HC who's energetic and can get Denton involved, who's a good recruiter, who's had success, and who would bring national attention to the program. For all those reasons, my number 1 pick is Tom Herman if he wants it.

I just don't see a HC out there who's the total package like him. Justin Fuente, Neal Brown, Kane Wommack are all great names but none have the name recognition Tom Herman has. He's 54-22 all-time. He "flopped" at Texas like every other coach has since Mack Brown. Herman has never had a losing season, he's 5-0 in Bowl games including beating Florida State 2 years removed from a national championship, and he's won a conference championship. As long as he hasn't done something heinous like killing somebody, there's no answer better than Tom Herman.

I hate typing this for some reason, but I think you're right. Herman would be by far the best we could do. Don't know if he would attract solid assistant coaches at this point in his career though. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/22/2022 at 7:18 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I suppose a HEAD COACH wouldn't necessarily need to have the TXHSFB ties.  But if he doesn't, a majority of his staff should.
People who are saying "Texas ties don't mean much anymore..." are probably bewildered at how these amazing South Dallas-area ballers were showing up at SMU over the past few seasons.  
r813614_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=375&h=211

The reality is: "Texas ties" are still very-much-so important.

The right Texas ties... particularly with them being strong along the I20/30 corridor would be something that should not be brushed away so lightly.  Those really do matter a lot more than people think. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I don’t think people understand that Deon would love to be back in the DFW space.  It could be a very lucrative move for him.

I dont think it's the money for Deon. His son is at JSU too. I don't see it. But if we ever wanted to keep Denton talent in Denton, Deon would

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So would he think it’s better to stay winning at an FCS for a few more years and then make the jump to a P5?

Has that ever happened?

https://andscape.com/features/jackson-states-success-compels-power-5-colleges-to-come-calling-on-deion-sanders/amp/

Well maybe he will have some shots at a P5 after all. I still say it would be too risky for a program like Auburn but Georgia Tech I could see. 

I know Cobbs doesn't have head coach experience but our running backs (when healthy) have been very good under him. I would hope the next coach will keep him and give him a little more  responsibility so he can build his resume.

When you look at our record against winning teams it is not good.  I think SL has hit his peak here.  He can go to P-5 school and be a OC and try being a HC in few more years.  Honestly I think he is more comfortable out of the spotlight.

Wish him the best of luck in the future and hope he does well where ever he ends up.  I don't think WB can extend his contract at this time.

You know somewhere a bad bowl team is saying -I hope we get to play North Texas.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I know Cobbs doesn't have head coach experience but our running backs (when healthy) have been very good under him. I would hope the next coach will keep him and give him a little more  responsibility so he can build his resume.

When you look at our record against winning teams it is not good.  I think SL has hit his peak here.  He can go to P-5 school and be a OC and try being a HC in few more years.  Honestly I think he is more comfortable out of the spotlight.

Wish him the best of luck in the future and hope he does well where ever he ends up.  I don't think WB can extend his contract at this time.

You know somewhere a bad bowl team is saying -I hope we get to play North Texas.

He can be the interim for the bowl but hell no for full time. He's never even been a coordinator 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I have to say. If he doesn’t get a P5 offer or would do it…..Deion is really intriguing.  Take the superficial stuff out of it (celebrity, personality, etc) he’s winning and most importantly RECRUITING. 

I think the current players are really loyal to Littrell (seem to be) and there’s concern we’ll have a transfer portal exodus if he leaves….well Deion completely takes that concern out. He could easily replace and upgrade any players that leave. He would scare the crap out of the rest of the conference recruiting wise. 

I don’t k own what he’s making now. I’m sure we would pay much more even though the money isn’t an issue with him. And yes This would be a rehearsal stop for a P5 job and that’s fine. Give us 2-3 years here and build us up and then we can get the next guy coming off maybe top 25 rankings. 

Like I said I don’t know if he would do it but I hope we kick those tires…..

Deion ain't it to me. The guy has never coached anywhere he's been at a disadvantage. He was the OC at a private HS for a few years with his son as QB and now has his son, a 4 star recruit, playing against FCS competition. With his name recognition, he's brought in talent that again far outweighs his competition. That talent gap shrinks at the FBS level. When that talent gap shrinks, coaching is the difference. He's yet to be in a position where elite coaching matters because his name has always brought in top talent.

My opinion, Deion has been playing everybody, using his name to get his son to start at QB at smaller schools in smaller leagues to boost his stock and get him to the league.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

It seems like a good rule of thumb to me to exclude coaches who are currently front runners or at the very least interviewing for P5 jobs. 

Neither Deion or Tom Herman want this job. Deion’s name is up at Auburn. Herman is in the driver’s seat at Colorado it sounds like. 

We have to be realistic about what we are. 

Edited by Pellom
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

40 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think Deion's kids are still enrolled at that school.  He won't leave that school for G5, but maybe P5 money will pull him away.

Deion’s kids will hit the portal the second he announces he is leaving for another school. Two days later they’ll announce they’ll be rejoining dad at his new gig.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Deion’s kids will hit the portal the second he announces he is leaving for another school. Two days later they’ll announce they’ll he rejoining dad at his new gig.

I'm not familiar with the timeline: did they choose that school because Deion was there, or did Deion choose it because they were going there?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm not familiar with the timeline: did they choose that school because Deion was there, or did Deion choose it because they were going there?

They went where Deion went. Shilo started at South Carolina and transferred to play for dad. Shadeur started his career at JSU as a signee in his dad’s first recruiting class.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Applewhite could be an option as well. Ticks a lot of the boxes. 

Boxes like “helped Nick Saban’s Alabama lose to ULM”, “helped get Mack Brown run out of Austin”, “not good enough to follow Tom Herman to Texas”(this might have been due to his student trainer affair though), and “not good enough to keep the UH job”.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Deion ain't it to me. The guy has never coached anywhere he's been at a disadvantage. He was the OC at a private HS for a few years with his son as QB and now has his son, a 4 star recruit, playing against FCS competition. With his name recognition, he's brought in talent that again far outweighs his competition. That talent gap shrinks at the FBS level. When that talent gap shrinks, coaching is the difference. He's yet to be in a position where elite coaching matters because his name has always brought in top talent.

My opinion, Deion has been playing everybody, using his name to get his son to start at QB at smaller schools in smaller leagues to boost his stock and get him to the league.

But we've never had a 4 star recruit or talent that far outweighs our competition. But how many times have we played G5 teams that are so much bigger and faster than we are? Plenty. I think yes, Deion is far out recruiting his FCS counterparts but coming here his recruiting pool grows as well. I'm talking about him recruiting against UTSA, UAB, Memphis, SMU. 

You want to play for UTSA or you want to play for Deion? Those are the battles we have to start winning. It's still the "Jimmys and Joes" even at our level. 

I don't know if it would even be a possibility (assuming a P5 goes after him) but I would think the rest of the AAC wants no part of recruiting against Deion Sanders.

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

But we've never had a 4 star recruit or talent that far outweighs our competition. But how many times have we played G5 teams that are so much bigger and faster than we are? Plenty. I think yes, Deion is far out recruiting his FCS counterparts but coming here his recruiting pool grows as well. I'm talking about him recruiting against UTSA, UAB, Memphis, SMU. 

You want to play for UTSA or you want to play for Deion? Those are the battles we have to start winning. It's still the "Jimmys and Joes" even at our level. 

I don't know if it would even be a possibility (assuming a P5 goes after him) but I would think the rest of the AAC wants no part of recruiting against Deion Sanders.

We can have a similar effect getting a guy like Tom Herman who's a much more experienced coach. While he's not "Coach Prime," he's an excellent recruiter and the question of "do you want to play at UTSA or do you want to play for Tom Herman" still applies. The guy got Ed Oliver, a 5 star recruit, to UH. While I understand Oliver's brother was also at UH, that's never stopped other players from committing elsewhere. Zach Orr had 2 brothers play FBS football and none of them 3 played at the same school.

I just don't like the idea of UNT being grounds for another experiment. We did the Dodge HS to FBS experiment. Why do we need to be grounds for another? His coaching experience is at Prime Prep Academy which failed. Then Triple A Academy, a small charter school. After that, Trinity Christian HS before being where he is now. He does not have enough experience to be an FBS football coach for my liking.

• Upvote 3