2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

5 hours ago, Pellom said:

I think we can cross Colby Carthel off the list. 😂

51656BC5-FFA6-4A21-8CA8-B92D40B0BD8B.jpeg

I liked him but you are absolutely right. He isn’t prepared for this job.

I don’t want Fuente but wouldn’t mind seeing someone similar to McCarney who won more than usual at a traditionally tough place to coach like Mullen.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I liked him but you are absolutely right. He isn’t prepared foe this job.

I don’t want Fuente but wouldn’t mind seeing someone similar to McCarney who won more than usual at a traditionally tough place to coach like Mullen.

McCarney had never won at our level before.  He was shocked at the lack of funds & fan apathy.   Mullen hasn’t either, and I’d be afraid he’d run into the same issue.

Fuente has.  Holtz has.  Harsin has.  Neal Brown (if he comes available) has.   Etc…

Or maybe we could money-whip the South Alabama staff.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Joe Gillespie might be the guy. 

Would be a huge roll of the dice.    But it seems to be working OK for TX Tech & Joey McGuire (another beloved TX HS coach with limited college experience).

I wonder if Bloesch would stick around and work under someone he used to be position coaches with at Tulsa just 4 years ago.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Or maybe we could money-whip the South Alabama staff.

Hello! What do you see in the South Alabama staff as a whole that puts them on your radar? The HC was 5-7 his first year (2021) which was 1 win better than 2020 before he got there. They're currently 8-2 but could easily be 10-0. While obviously impressive, do you think that's enough to say he's the guy? This is only his second season as a HC. Some could point out, he's not even winning with "his guys." How do you know he can recruit? Curious here because I don't follow them closely so I don't know much about them. It looks like they went hard on the transfer portal last year which is good but also means your margin for error is slim because you don't have as long to develop your guys assuming a HS recruit would stay with you 4-5 years.

Without knowing much about their program, I do find it intriguing that money-whipping "the staff" could include bringing Major Applewhite in as OC. Seeing him serve as OC/QB coach at SoAlabama makes our own QB coach situation all the more frustrating.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

Skip Holtz is the answer, he won with much less at La Tech. Wren and the BOR need to be contacting he ASAP.

Is he enough though? Is the bar division titles and bowl wins or is it conference titles? In 9 years at LaTech Skip won the division twice but lost both title games. Zero titles in 9 season but he only had 2 losing seasons and won 6 of his 7 bowl games. I would be satisfied with that but many on here wouldn’t.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Is he enough though? Is the bar division titles and bowl wins or is it conference titles? In 9 years at LaTech Skip won the division twice but lost both title games. Zero titles in 9 season but he only had 2 losing seasons and won 6 of his 7 bowl games. I would be satisfied with that but many on here wouldn’t.

You are the one who keeps defending Littrell.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Hello! What do you see in the South Alabama staff as a whole that puts them on your radar? The HC was 5-7 his first year (2021) which was 1 win better than 2020 before he got there. They're currently 8-2 but could easily be 10-0. While obviously impressive, do you think that's enough to say he's the guy? This is only his second season as a HC. Some could point out, he's not even winning with "his guys." How do you know he can recruit? Curious here because I don't follow them closely so I don't know much about them. It looks like they went hard on the transfer portal last year which is good but also means your margin for error is slim because you don't have as long to develop your guys assuming a HS recruit would stay with you 4-5 years.

Without knowing much about their program, I do find it intriguing that money-whipping "the staff" could include bringing Major Applewhite in as OC. Seeing him serve as OC/QB coach at SoAlabama makes our own QB coach situation all the more frustrating.

I see a team with a defensive-minded HC (Wommack) & Major as the OC, and has played very well against some salty SBC teams.  Their 2 losses coming by way of a 1-pt loss to #12UCLA, and a very odd defensive struggle VS Troy (who will likely win the SBC championship again).   

I only mention them because plucking a young, successful, sitting Head Coach from another D1 school is the kind of move Baker likes to make (McCasland, DeLong, Porter).   But I think I like some of the retreads who had great success at the G5 level, then flamed out at the P5 level more.   The Sonny Dykes path.  

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

You are the one who keeps defending Littrell.

I fell for the hype again. It always takes UAB or somebody worth a damn to smack me out of it.

For the record, I’d be happy to have Skip, I’d prefer him over just about anyone talked about here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I see a team with a defensive-minded HC (Wommack) & Major as the OC, and has played very well against some salty SBC teams.  Their 2 losses coming by way of a 1-pt loss to #12UCLA, and a very odd defensive struggle VS Troy (who will likely win the SBC championship again).   

I only mention them because plucking a young, successful, sitting Head Coach from another D1 school is the kind of move Baker likes to make (McCasland, DeLong, Porter).   But I think I like some of the retreads who had great success at the G5 level, then flamed out at the P5 level more.   The Sonny Dykes path.  

You're right in that it's the type of hire Baker would make based on his track record here. I'd especially be intrigued in having Major be the OC considering his experience as a HC at Houston and overall experience at Alabama and Texas.

Like I said, I don't follow them. Haven't watched a single game. Didn't know if there was anything specific about their schemes or other that you thought could bring consistent success.

I too like the P5 retread route. If plucking a staff from another G5 is the route they go, I wouldn't mind at all this being the one they get.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

In the AAC that keeps the best programs they have for 2023 till 2031 (9 years) that kind of performance is acceptable.   I just want us to be consistently in the conference title picture after the first game in November in every year.  Also I think Holtz reproducing the same consistency here would push this program forward and he would win on of those title games.  Also he would be marched up in better bowl games against better opponents.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, Udomann said:

I am just not as sold on GH again.

Graham very likely will be available as an offensive coordinator again after this season. It looks like his boss, Neal Brown, may be the first head coach fired at West Virginia in more than 40 years. They want Neal gone but he has a $16 million buyout clause.

I would love to have Graham return as Offensive Coordinator if he becomes available. Matched with the right head coach, this could be the perfect place for him to resurrect his career.

• Upvote 1

This will be a very difficult decision for Wren. The next two games will give us the answer. . . a loss in either of these and the announcement will come after the championship game (unless Seth agrees to the lower buyout earlier). He has to win out to keep his job. I don’t think he will and I’m not suggesting that he should. This loss was a major step in that fork in the road that Wren was facing. 

Now as for a new coach for UNT in the American— hell, who knows. It totally depends on the type of staff that they can put together and keep. 

What would y’all think if we were able to get Skip HC and either Graham or Applewhite as OC/QB? 

Edited by UNT Family Man

7 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

This will be a very difficult decision for Wren. The next two games will gives us the answer. . . a loss in either of these and the announcement will come after the championship game (unless Seth agrees to the lower buyout earlier). He has to win out to keep his job. I don’t think he will and I’m not suggesting that he should. This loss was a major step in that fork in the road that Wren was facing. 

Now as for a new coach for UNT in the American— hell, who knows. It totally depends on the type of staff that they can put together and keep. 

What would y’all think if we were able to get Skip HC and either Graham or Applewhite as OC/QB? 

I’d take Harrell over Applewhite by a mile but I still think there’d be someone better than Harrell who could have us effective in all 4 quarters.

People say we need a HC who's energetic and can get Denton involved, who's a good recruiter, who's had success, and who would bring national attention to the program. For all those reasons, my number 1 pick is Tom Herman if he wants it.

I just don't see a HC out there who's the total package like him. Justin Fuente, Neal Brown, Kane Wommack are all great names but none have the name recognition Tom Herman has. He's 54-22 all-time. He "flopped" at Texas like every other coach has since Mack Brown. Herman has never had a losing season, he's 5-0 in Bowl games including beating Florida State 2 years removed from a national championship, and he's won a conference championship. As long as he hasn't done something heinous like killing somebody, there's no answer better than Tom Herman.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I have to say. If he doesn’t get a P5 offer or would do it…..Deion is really intriguing.  Take the superficial stuff out of it (celebrity, personality, etc) he’s winning and most importantly RECRUITING. 

I think the current players are really loyal to Littrell (seem to be) and there’s concern we’ll have a transfer portal exodus if he leaves….well Deion completely takes that concern out. He could easily replace and upgrade any players that leave. He would scare the crap out of the rest of the conference recruiting wise. 

I don’t k own what he’s making now. I’m sure we would pay much more even though the money isn’t an issue with him. And yes This would be a rehearsal stop for a P5 job and that’s fine. Give us 2-3 years here and build us up and then we can get the next guy coming off maybe top 25 rankings. 

Like I said I don’t know if he would do it but I hope we kick those tires…..

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I have to say. If he doesn’t get a P5 offer or would do it…..Deion is really intriguing.  Take the superficial stuff out of it (celebrity, personality, etc) he’s winning and most importantly RECRUITING. 

I think the current players are really loyal to Littrell (seem to be) and there’s concern we’ll have a transfer portal exodus if he leaves….well Deion completely takes that concern out. He could easily replace and upgrade any players that leave. He would scare the crap out of the rest of the conference recruiting wise. 

I don’t k own what he’s making now. I’m sure we would pay much more even though the money isn’t an issue with him. And yes This would be a rehearsal stop for a P5 job and that’s fine. Give us 2-3 years here and build us up and then we can get the next guy coming off maybe top 25 rankings. 

Deon aint coming here. IF he would leave it would only be for P5. I'd love it but he's not even going to consider it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

0% chance he would even entertain it. Only reason he takes a call is because DFW is his home. 

• Upvote 1