2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Why is he not wearing a shirt?

5 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Carthel, they upset someone and he celebrated with his shirt off.

In the covid season of 2020, ACU was the only other team in SFA’s conference that chose to play football in the fall rather than spring so Carthel saw it as the de facto conference championship game that year and was excited they won. They had been picked to finish eight in the conference before the fall/spring conference schedule split.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 hours ago, SigmaGreen said:

I’m definitely on the Eric Morris fan club. He has a great offense, been a head coach for multiple seasons. Has a great eye for quarterbacks and can develop them aa needed as he once was a quarterbacks coach. Recruited Mahomes to Tech, and Cameron Ward to Incarnate Word (who is now his QB at Washington State)  I believe he knows talent, and they trust in him.

My biggest problem with Morris is his attachment to the Leach tree. If it doesn’t work out with Seth, I want to go back to a defensive minded head coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Pellom said:

If I gave you two options, which one do you think is most important for the next hire? You can’t say both. 

1) proven winning head coach (at any level) 

or

2) young and energetic 

Proven winning head coach. Young and energetic is too much of a gamble on whether or not they can lead a program which is much different than being a coordinator. One of the few exceptions I'd make is somebody who's been here before and has experienced some of the challenges/strengths UNT has.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Proven winning head coach. Young and energetic is too much of a gamble on whether or not they can lead a program which is much different than being a coordinator. One of the few exceptions I'd make is somebody who's been here before and has experienced some of the challenges/strengths UNT has.

KU’s success with Leipold (multiple D3 championships) leads me to believe we need a known program builder that can translate that success to a higher level. I’ve soured on “up and coming, young energetic coaches” with no prior program building experience (Littrell). I want a coach that knows what he’s doing, not constantly changing things every season to see what works.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Wow!  Wardly, you are going to the dark side.

Why not. Nobody cares about daddy anymore. If the Houston Texas can trade a sex offender like their QB for mega millions nobody cares. We are ranked behind every AAC and CUSA team other than Charlotte.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

KU’s success with Leipold (multiple D3 championships) leads me to believe we need a known program builder that can translate that success to a higher level. I’ve soured on “up and coming, young energetic coaches” with no prior program building experience (Littrell). I want a coach that knows what he’s doing, not constantly changing things every season to see what works.

Agree.  Coordinators are hit and miss as head coaches.  Many can't adapt (or speak in public and relate to fan bases).  A previous head coach that has won has more value than a non-head coach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

Why not. Nobody cares about daddy anymore. If the Houston Texas can trade a sex offender like their QB for mega millions nobody cares. We are ranked behind every AAC and CUSA team other than Charlotte.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

You know very well that people care, but you keep saying that to try and shut them up.

Yeah the biggest problem with bringing in either Briles to UNT in a HC position is you're going to have a significant portion of the liberal student population (and I'd estimate to be a good number in the thousands) get loud, very, very loud and we don't have a PR machine big enough to shut that down in my estimate.

I think you'd be looking at national coverage and condemnation across sports and news media outlets, student protests being shown to a national audience, neither of which do we have the clout to combat or shutdown. 

I'd make the argument for Art Briles on the merits and beyond football, I'm referencing the two independent investigations and reports that cleared him of any wrong doing, condoning, or covering up of any illicit or sexual assault/harassment allegations, but it seems the liberal pulpit is just lying in wait to trounce on anyone who goes near him.

Maybe less with Kendal but you're still going to have to have a plan to handle and manage the Baylor baggage that will follow and I think (I cringe at even typing this as on a human level it sucks) his father would have to steer clear of the program completely and remain out of sight (out of mind).

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Yeah the biggest problem with bringing in either Briles to UNT in a HC position is you're going to have a significant portion of the liberal student population (and I'd estimate to be a good number in the thousands) get loud, very, very loud and we don't have a PR machine big enough to shut that down in my estimate.

I think you'd be looking at national coverage and condemnation across sports and news media outlets, student protests being shown to a national audience, neither of which do we have the clout to combat or shutdown. 

I'd make the argument for Art Briles on the merits and beyond football, I'm referencing the two independent investigations and reports that cleared him of any wrong doing, condoning, or covering up of any illicit or sexual assault/harassment allegations, but it seems the liberal pulpit is just lying in wait to trounce on anyone who goes near him.

Maybe less with Kendal but you're still going to have to have a plan to handle and manage the Baylor baggage that will follow and I think (I cringe at even typing this as on a human level it sucks) his father would have to steer clear of the program completely and remain out of sight (out of mind).

You make some good points but do we want to win or just play the game is what it comes down to.  Arkansas is ok with having Briles on staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Yeah the biggest problem with bringing in either Briles to UNT in a HC position is you're going to have a significant portion of the liberal student population (and I'd estimate to be a good number in the thousands) get loud, very, very loud and we don't have a PR machine big enough to shut that down in my estimate.I

Maybe they’d come to a game to protest and it’d be a sneaky way to finally sell out a game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

You make some good points but do we want to win or just play the game is what it comes down to.  Arkansas is ok with having Briles on staff.

I'm good with it, but it's different being on the staff vs. HC. 

FWIW, I could get behind either Briles, but I'm in the minority and I'm not so moved to try and change anyone's mind on the matter.  There's plenty of reporting on the issue, including two independent reports that clear him (and Baylor staff including Kendal) of any wrong doing.  I don't want to get too political on it one way or another, but being in the minority, I think not only does the majority against win the day, UNT get's a lot of bad publicity on a national level, and it will bring into question those who thought it was ok to bring him in, in the first place.  I think they know that and aren't willing to take the risk.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

45 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Arkansas is ok with having Briles on staff.

Oh, and I think for Kendal Briles, the ideal situation for him is to be promoted from within to a HC spot.  It's a lot different when he's been somewhere like Arkansas, done well, earns the promotion, been on campus already, no issues at all..... If people come out in protest once he's promoted into a HC spot, or the media tries to push an agenda, they'd be a little late and it would be seen as an opportunistic attack motivated by a outside agenda - hard to feign outrage about someone being on campus when they've been on campus for a year or two already, have done well in their job, no issues, and earned the promotion.

That's just my take on him being on the staff somewhere and I think Kendal is deserving of an opportunity and/or will continue to prove that he is deserving, but I think it's both the most likely and best case scenario for him to get a HC position, all things considered.  I hope it happens for him and for his family.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 10/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, greenminer said:

You know very well that people care, but you keep saying that to try and shut them up.

I don't " just keep saying that to try and shut them up". This is the first time I have suggested packaging the "Brile's Boys" together or even hiring one. Based upon athletics with bad behavior that continue to play, people overlook their past as long as they win . We have one of the worst football programs in college football so maybe we should think outside the box as what we are doing is not working.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2