2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

This one guy we should look at, he is winner and builds programs at our level.  He is making 425,000 k a year.

Curt Cignetti-James Madison Head Coach

I think JMU will open the checkbooks to keep him around with how they have started FBS play. They have deeper pockets than many realize. I think that job will be a launchpad for more an ACC level job. 

28 minutes ago, Green Mile said:

I think JMU will open the checkbooks to keep him around with how they have started FBS play. They have deeper pockets than many realize. I think that job will be a launchpad for more an ACC level job. 

If they keep playing well and improving, JMU could end up in the ACC in 5-7 years

57 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I’m really finding myself warming up to Coby Carthel

Same - I feel like if he's given an opportunity to present to decision makers, say they ask the top 5 to make presentations, he'll knock it out of the park and set himself apart from the pack.

Not sure how it'll go from that standpoint (interview, finalists, or just select and sign someone) but I think he can deliver the goods for our program!

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Cobbs is too young but he should be retained no matter who the head coach is.

As far as the Head Coaching candidates go I’m really finding myself warming up to Coby Carthel.  I think he might be the one.

Still not behind this idea. He is in his fourth year at SFA and has a below .500 record. Never coached at the FBS level in any capacity. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Green Mile said:

Hasn’t beat Keeler yet either, who I view as a better candidate. Much larger body of work. 

SFA hasn’t beaten Sam since 2010, nearly a decade before Carthel got there. He has back to back 1-point losses and doesn’t have the added recruiting benefit of being a FBS school in transition. I’d say he has performed pretty well considering the circumstances and where SFA was when he took over vs where Sam was at that time.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Still not behind this idea. He is in his fourth year at SFA and has a below .500 record. Never coached at the FBS level in any capacity. 

If you take out the 7 losses he has to FBS schools who have 22 more scholarships to work with, his record is a respectable 19-13.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

If you take out the 7 losses he has to FBS schools who have 22 more scholarships to work with, his record is a respectable 19-13.

I want a higher level of success and name recognition at $2 million a year. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I don't think a respectable FCS record is the bar I want to set for our coach leading us to AAC. I had Carthel on my list of top candidates, but I would make Keeler and Eric Morris tell us no before we went that route. Keeler is way more proven and Morris had better success in similar circumstances at the same level.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I want a higher level of success and name recognition at $2 million a year. 

Who says we’d need to pay him $2M a year?  It looks like he makes less than half a mil right now. Offer him $800k with incentives that could push it to $1.5M or so. Use the savings on facilities, recruiting, or other program needs.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Green Mile said:

I don't think a respectable FCS record is the bar I want to set for our coach leading us to AAC. I had Carthel on my list of top candidates, but I would make Keeler and Eric Morris tell us no before we went that route. Keeler is way more proven and Morris had better success in similar circumstances at the same level.

Carthel, who boasts a .636 winning percentage during three seasons with the Jacks, led SFA into the Football Championship Subdivision playoff in 2021 for the first time since 2014. Under his watch, wideout Xavier Gipson finished seventh in the 2021 Walter Payton Award voting. Gipson was the second SFA unanimous All-American and will be a front runner for the 2022 Walter Payton Award.

Carthel was named a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award, given annually to the FCS Coach of the Year.

With the wins piling up on the football field, SFA has enjoyed a 389% increase in football ticket sales during Carthel’s three seasons. The boost in ticket revenue sparked by football’s rejuvenation has spread into all areas of the SFA Athletic Department under Ivey’s four-year watch.

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sports/sfas-carthel-signs-5-year-extension/article_4491c2e0-aad4-11ec-919c-77ddd6c813eb.html

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1

I’m definitely on the Eric Morris fan club. He has a great offense, been a head coach for multiple seasons. Has a great eye for quarterbacks and can develop them aa needed as he once was a quarterbacks coach. Recruited Mahomes to Tech, and Cameron Ward to Incarnate Word (who is now his QB at Washington State)  I believe he knows talent, and they trust in him.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, Green Mile said:

I think Keeler is a very good coach but I have seen nothing in him that shows he has any desire to motivate the fan base. To have their success and their lack of fans support is something to worry about

57 minutes ago, SigmaGreen said:

I’m definitely on the Eric Morris fan club. He has a great offense, been a head coach for multiple seasons. Has a great eye for quarterbacks and can develop them aa needed as he once was a quarterbacks coach. Recruited Mahomes to Tech, and Cameron Ward to Incarnate Word (who is now his QB at Washington State)  I believe he knows talent, and they trust in him.

I have been a Carthel fan but would have no problem with Morris. Let compromise and hire Morris as the HC and Carthel as the DC 

• Upvote 2

On 9/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, Udomann said:

I am just not as sold on GH again. He really just smells like another Seth.

Now, if Tom Herman looked my way twice, I'd offer to buy him a drink, maybe flirt a bit. I think there's some interesting chemistry there with him/UNT

It’s obvious Harrell is the only reason our offense in passing was any good! He left and it went to crap over night, and he recruited fine, not littrell.

• Upvote 1