2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

On 9/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, UNTLifer said:

I am not completely sold on Carthel.  I was also a fan of Keeler at Sam Houston, but the more I have though about this the more I am leaning towards someone else and they are already here, Patrick Cobbs.  Hear me out.

We have brought in successful HS coaches with little experience in Dodge and Parker.  We have gone the coordinator route from bigger programs with the likes of Nelson, Moore, Simon, Dickey and now Littrell and we tried the coach on the backend of their career in McCarney all with no sustained success.   

One thing we have never tried is someone that knows our university, knows and loves our program, wants to see it successful and wants to be a part of that.  Cobbs fits those requirements.  His position group is the best and deepest on the team and he has managed to keep that group happy while spreading the wealth.  He played for DD that required his best players to play special teams.  I remember games where Cobbs would run for 100+ and then turn around a block a punt or be busting his ass on coverage units.  He has NFL experience.  He played under a running system with a hard nosed coach and has coached under a few HC's and always represent our university well.  His love for North Texas matches ours and he wants to be here.

I know most people want a coach with some HC experience, so I did a little research on coaches that are currently successful that had zero HC experience prior to being head coaches and the list includes Dabo Swinney, P.J. Fleck, Ryan Day, Dave Aranda and Mike Gundy to name a few.  

I believe Cobbs would be a great representative of our program and university, has enough connections to surround himself with a great staff, and has connections to coaches in OK and TX for recruiting.

Just my two cents.

HEAD COACH EXPERIENCE!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Here’s a new name to consider:

Kent State HC Sean Lewis

https://kentstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/sean-lewis/970

I understand his total record isn’t that great, but we all know the limitations a job like Kent State deals with. He won the first bowl game in school history in 2019 and gave the best team in the country (Georgia) hell well into the 4th quarter last Saturday. If you throw out his first year when they were 2-10, his record is 18-17 since (Kent State as a program was 14-45 in the five years prior to his arrival). 

He’s going to get a bigger job - he only makes $440k a year at Kent. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Kent State HC Sean Lewis

I understand his total record isn’t that great, but we all know the limitations a job like Kent State deals with. He won the first bowl game in school history in 2019 and gave the best team in the country (Georgia) hell well into the 4th quarter last Saturday. If you throw out his first year when they were 2-10, his record is 18-17 since (Kent State as a program was 14-45 in the five years prior to his arrival). 

He’s going to get a bigger job - he only makes $440k a year at Kent. 

we can do better.  He may be very, very good, but we need more concrete evidence of it.

• Upvote 6

On 9/26/2022 at 12:16 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Maybe. But we can pay him over a million dollars more per year, have better facilities, and about to move up the conference ladder. 

He's probably content waiting until a desirable P5 job opens up, but I still make the call. 

For sure, I’m absolutely interested in bringing him here. Just think he’ll have higher profile suitors soon. I’d kick the tires on it

• Upvote 2

On 9/27/2022 at 11:04 AM, Pellom said:

Kent State HC Sean Lewis

If you throw out his first year when they were 2-10, his record is 18-17 since (Kent State as a program was 14-45 in the five years prior to his arrival). 

If you throw out SL’s first year he was 21-14 through the same number of games and North Texas was 23-38 in the 5 years prior to his arrival. Kent had an 11 win season in 2012, conveniently one year before your 5 year timeline began. When was our last one? Nothing tells me this guy would be an improvement.

Edited by Cr1028

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If you throw out SL’s first year he was 21-14 through the same number of games and North Texas was 23-38 in the 5 years prior to his arrival. Kent had an 11 win season in 2012, conveniently one year before your 5 year timeline began. When was our last one? Nothing tells me this guy would be an improvement.

Well I would say Kent State and UNT are very similar from an 30,000 foot view but I didn’t want to bring the mood down. 

We’ve upped our financial commitment recently, no doubt about it, but still historically two very bad programs. 

Any interest in former Florida head coach Jim McElwain?  

Jim McElwain, Head Coach, Central Michigan
McElwain is probably a longshot here, but his name has popped up in searches for jobs in Pac-12 territory in recent years. The Montana native also had a stint at Colorado State, going 22-15 and earning two bowl trips from 2012-14. McElwain’s resume also includes a stop in the NFL with the Raiders and college assistant stints at Fresno State, Michigan State, Louisville and Michigan. McElwain guided Florida to a 22-12 mark from 2015-17 and is 21-17 at Central Michigan since ’19.

5 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

McElwain is probably a longshot here, but his name has popped up in searches for jobs in Pac-12 territory in recent years. The Montana native also had a stint at Colorado State, going 22-15 and earning two bowl trips from 2012-14. McElwain’s resume also includes a stop in the NFL with the Raiders and college assistant stints at Fresno State, Michigan State, Louisville and Michigan. McElwain guided Florida to a 22-12 mark from 2015-17 and is 21-17 at Central Michigan since ’19.

Well we don't have sharks around, so there won't be any questionable photos on the internet of him.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

The first time I heard of Jim McElwain was when he complained that the Mayor didn't know his name and felt this was a personal affront to him, his team, and the University.  Going so far as to call out and embarrass the mayor on the field through the PA system in a moment that should have been about celebrating the team, he made it about himself.

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/colorado-state-jim-mcelwain-angry-mayor-of-denver-name/240027

The second time was when it was reported that he made up death threats towards his family at Florida.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/24/16528762/jim-mcelwain-florida-death-threats

And openly complained about the out-dated facilities at Florida, he seems to have a penchant for rubbing people the wrong way with his arrogance.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/sports/college/florida-gators/column-the-real-jim-mcelwain-from-his-previous-stop-in-colorado/77-487495108

I thought his reaction to the Mayor mispronouncing his name and his press conferences reaction where he was genuinely upset by this revealed an over inflated sense of self importance.  A football coach is important in the football world and by extension athletics department.  Anything beyond that would be due to the work one does in that role in the community and might serve to gain an increased admiration for the individual but by virtue, being a head football coach, does not demand public officials know (or even have to care) who you are.  Most know this and wouldn't be moved one way or the other as to whether or not someone or anyone knew their name or who they were, McElwain reeks of arrogance, deluded by an overinflated ego.

I don't think with him it's a matter of being able to look past it, as much as it is an inevitable headache not worth taking in that there are many other comparable candidates by any measure without the baggage.  

TL;DR - My two cents: the dude's a prick we can afford to avoid with comparable and better candidates already in the emerging pool of potential head coaches.

• Thanks 7

Ryan Walters, Defensive Coordinator, Illinois

Walters is a native of Colorado and played his college ball in Boulder from 2004-08. He started his coaching career a year later (’09) as a student assistant with the Buffaloes and made stops at Arizona (2010-11), Oklahoma (’12) and North Texas (’13) before an extended stint at Missouri (2015-20). Walters spent five years with the Tigers, including the final three as the defensive coordinator. The Colorado native was hired on at Illinois to be part of Bret Bielema’s staff and helped the defense improve from 13th in scoring defense in ’20 to sixth in ’21. The Fighting Illini lead the Big Ten in scoring defense (8.4 points a game) through five games.

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Walters is a native of Colorado and played his college ball in Boulder from 2004-08. He started his coaching career a year later (’09) as a student assistant with the Buffaloes and made stops at Arizona (2010-11), Oklahoma (’12) and North Texas (’13) before an extended stint at Missouri (2015-20). Walters spent five years with the Tigers, including the final three as the defensive coordinator. The Colorado native was hired on at Illinois to be part of Bret Bielema’s staff and helped the defense improve from 13th in scoring defense in ’20 to sixth in ’21. The Fighting Illini lead the Big Ten in scoring defense (8.4 points a game) through five games.

Safeties coach for Dan McCarney.

Last time I checked Marcus Trice and Laramie Lee were a pretty damn good tandem that year

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

A rising assistant that Wren worked with at Missouri. He also has coached at North Texas before. I imagine he gets an interview.

My personal Top 4 candidates:

1. KC Keeler - Veteran HC, Proven Winner with large body of work, Has done it in the State of Texas, Realistic Get, Could be our Leipold (Will he leave?)

2. Eric Morris - Did a great job at UIW and got some HC experience there, Solid now at Wazzu, Texas ties, (Sample size?)

3. Colby Carthel - Not Keeler level of success, but done a good job at SFA/Commerce, Texas ties, (Is he ready for FBS?)

4. Shawn Bell - Wild card candidate, Former TXHSFB HC, Has been on Rhule and Aranda Baylor staffs (Does not having same body of work as Traylor/McGuire make a difference?)

There's a bit of a theme with the Top 3. I value prior successful HC experience, which for us to be able to get them means their HC success likely was at FCS level. To me, Keeler is the safest option. Has won his whole career (Over 250 wins as a HC), we could easily double his current salary without even overpaying, there are no ?s about how would handle being a HC. Sam is in transition right now and headed to the carcass of the CUSA. If you're him would you rather make the FBS jump in a transition process or at a place with actual resources and facilities (comparatively speaking).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

Ryan Walters is over our head at this point and likely going to wait for a P5 gig. 

Starting to come around on the idea of Joe Gillespie as HC and keeping Bloesch as OC. The offense has looked good and they worked together for years at Tulsa. A reconfiguration of the offensive and defensive staffs would be nice, namely adding a full time QB coach. 

• RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Green Mile said:

My personal Top 4 candidates:

1. KC Keeler - Veteran HC, Proven Winner with large body of work, Has done it in the State of Texas, Realistic Get, Could be our Leipold (Will he leave?)

2. Eric Morris - Did a great job at UIW and got some HC experience there, Solid now at Wazzu, Texas ties, (Sample size?)

3. Colby Carthel - Not Keeler level of success, but done a good job at SFA/Commerce, Texas ties, (Is he ready for FBS?)

4. Shawn Bell - Wild card candidate, Former TXHSFB HC, Has been on Rhule and Aranda Baylor staffs (Does not having same body of work as Traylor/McGuire make a difference?)

There's a bit of a theme with the Top 3. I value prior successful HC experience, which for us to be able to get them means their HC success likely was at FCS level. To me, Keeler is the safest option. Has won his whole career (Over 250 wins as a HC), we could easily double his current salary without even overpaying, there are no ?s about how would handle being a HC. Sam is in transition right now and headed to the carcass of the CUSA. If you're him would you rather make the FBS jump in a transition process or at a place with actual resources and facilities (comparatively speaking).

I really like Morris. He has proven he can evaluate talent and develop. Has great experience with qb's!