2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

8 hours ago, wardly said:

Some AD's are more confortable hiring a coach that they have worked with in the past, hence I would expect to see a candidate from Mizzo. Regardless, we can huff and puff but its Wren's decision. Let's  just hope we get a better hire than Auburn did when they employed the Boise State coach last year. Talk about putting a square stake in a round hole. That's why I prefer a coach with a Texas background but what do I know.

How did Wren find Grant at Ark-State?   Did he previously work with or know of him or just saw his skills as a recruiter and fixing programs?  That's the type of find we need him to get for the football program too!

• Upvote 3

Anyone remember how much we wanted Kendall Briles last hiring cycle?? 

dudes still an offensive genius. Just love how he is completely out of consideration now.  

also, would be hilarious if hired Dickey. (I know, I know not happening) but can we all agree if anyone would do it, it would be us. At least he has way more skins on the wall now, and he’s willing to adapt his offense. Lol

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

SO I will add in a NON-TX roots coach -- Bobby Petrino that's at Missouri State -- Has had some controversy in his history but water under the bridge - won every place he's been 134-64 overall - Championships in CUSA, Big East, ACC, MVFC in 2020 - 5-6 in bowls -- 2 time coach of the year winner.   He's making 275k so I think we can buy him out easy enough. Coach NFL, G5, P5, FCS -- he knows what he's doing. 6 AP top 25 finishes. What say you ?

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 3

1 minute ago, wardly said:

Agreed. I am an alcoholic who has not had a drink since Christmas of 1988. Drinking just became a bad habit so I quit. The vast majority of alcoholics can't. However, from what I have read I think Sarkisian has a good chance, but it depends on how he reacts to pressure. I wish him well.

Congrats on your sobriety.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, wardly said:

Agreed. I am an alcoholic who has not had a drink since Christmas of 1988. Drinking just became a bad habit so I quit. The vast majority of alcoholics can't. However, from what I have read I think Sarkisian has a good chance, but it depends on how he reacts to pressure. I wish him well.

Very impressive and congratulations on your sobriety.

I hope Sark remains sober and has developed better habits to deal with pressure. I'm rooting for him on that front.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

OK we are back!  One question I want ask in the interview for a new head coach is " Will you hire a real qb coach?"

At this point I think SL knows his days are numbered.  He doesn't look like has his heart in the game.  I listen the UTSA coach interview and the guy is so excited and positive. SL does not give off a vibef that he wants to be here anymore.  He looks and sounds defeated.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I am surprised nobody has brought up Zach Orr recently. I would love to see him in consideration.

To me biggest negative is No college coaching experience.

Positives-

1. Nobody works harder and studies the game like he did for UNT

2. Loves the school, big promoter on social media and one of our UNT legends

3. Local Desoto-DFW football connections so recruiting should not be a concern

4. NFL connections 

Zach has everything from a leadership perspective that we would want to see for this program.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenFan94 said:

I am surprised nobody has brought up Zach Orr recently. I would love to see him in consideration.

Positives-

4. NFL connections 

Zach has everything from a leadership perspective that we would want to see for this program.

I was thinking Wren might do a mid season coaching change and appoint Zack as the interim HC which would give Zack some real world experience. Also, it would give Wren some time to shop and time to evaluate Zack for the job.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenFan94 said:

Positives-

4. NFL connections 

Lol absolutely no

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenFan94 said:

Positives-

4. NFL connections 

Fail The Simpsons GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Greenrex said:

I was thinking Wren might do a mid season coaching change and appoint Zack as the interim HC which would give Zack some real world experience. Also, it would give Wren some time to shop and time to evaluate Zack for the job.

Zach has a job.  What do you think he is up to now?

He’s coaching in the NFL.  Let him do his thing there.   

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

No way he comes here. Probably sees it as a lateral move at best

Listening to ESPN Sports Radio today and they were making a big deal about new Tech head coach bring 7 assistants that had a Texas High School background and how mush that will help in recruiting to Lubbock.

14 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

No way he comes here. Probably sees it as a lateral move at best

Maybe. But we can pay him over a million dollars more per year, have better facilities, and about to move up the conference ladder. 

He's probably content waiting until a desirable P5 job opens up, but I still make the call. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 hours ago, Pellom said:

Wonder if Ron Roberts would be a candidate. Current Baylor DC, he was a successful FCS HC for a decade. 

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ron-roberts/1817

I like this a lot. This guy has been a winner wherever and how ever he has coached. This is a guy who could make a nice run here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1