2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

3 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Speaking of... Does anyone know where he is now? I figured he would have been picked up as an assistant somewhere. His Twitter hasn't been updated since he left Virginia Tech.

Some place with an ocean or mountain view drinking coffee on the porch and catching up on his reading if he’s smart. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/20/2022 at 1:37 AM, Green Otaku said:

Someone should frame this post. This board has an obsession with the phrase "Texas ties." Is it a bonus? Yes, but it's not the be-all end-all for hiring a coach. Texas is a place like any other and good recruiters will build relationships and be successful. 

Texas ties talk is old school thinking. The internet & social media have eliminated most of that. You just need to make the right hire. Winning solves a lot of problems. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Great post.  Totally agree Texas ties are overplayed.

I respectfully disagree using UTSA and Texas Tech as examples. The last time I looked at Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine both of their coaches graced the cover and much was made about their Texas high school roots. While the Tech coach is just getting started, UTSA has recruited well. I realize the new transfer rules and NIL has changed the playing field but high school players are still important.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, wardly said:

I respectfully disagree using UTSA and Texas Tech as examples. The last time I looked at Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine both of their coaches graced the cover and much was made about their Texas high school roots. While the Tech coach is just getting started, UTSA has recruited well. I realize the new transfer rules and NIL has changed the playing field but high school players are still important.

Internet, camera phones, and social media have neutralized a lot of the old school recruiting ideas.  All it takes is one person to snap a video at some high school game in Ohio, and before that quarter is over that highlight play could be on the phone of a coach on the Red Raider staff.

HS coaches no longer require recruiters to visit.  Recruiters don't necessarily need to fly cross country to witness a talent.

Exposure is extremely easy these days compared to 30 years ago, but I suspect relationships with high school coaches still matter.  Looking a HS coach in the eye, shaking his hand, and commanding his respect  probably gets you towards the front of the line when they have some talent to share.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Texas ties talk is old school thinking. The internet & social media have eliminated most of that. You just need to make the right hire. Winning solves a lot of problems. 

I suppose a HEAD COACH wouldn't necessarily need to have the TXHSFB ties.  But if he doesn't, a majority of his staff should.
People who are saying "Texas ties don't mean much anymore..." are probably bewildered at how these amazing South Dallas-area ballers were showing up at SMU over the past few seasons.  
r813614_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=375&h=211

The reality is: "Texas ties" are still very-much-so important.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wardly said:

Let’s wait and see a little, right now he is pulling a Dan McCarney and winning with Todd Dodge’s players. Frank Harris, Cephus, Brady, Cardenas, and Zakhari Franklin are all Frank Wilson recruits. Let’s see how Traylor’s recruits do when they have to be the stars.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

So if or when we start looking for a coach, how does the process work?  Do coaches or their agents contact UNT and saying we here you may a job opening?  Or do we call leave message on the coaches answering service asking them if they are interested in being a HC?

I never really thought about the process.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

So if or when we start looking for a coach, how does the process work?  Do coaches or their agents contact UNT and saying we here you may a job opening?  Or do we call leave message on the coaches answering service asking them if they are interested in being a HC?

I feel like we usually trip over our own packages and hire the corn fairy to tell us what we need in a coach.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

c6940d11-f033-4f0e-b8cc-bf96ec3d71c6_tex

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

90% of the work is done by search firms well in advance of the position being open. Wren will have a list of 5-7 candidates the search firm has determined fit our criteria and are also interested in the job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I suppose a HEAD COACH wouldn't necessarily need to have the TXHSFB ties.  But if he doesn't, a majority of his staff should.
People who are saying "Texas ties don't mean much anymore..." are probably bewildered at how these amazing South Dallas-area ballers were showing up at SMU over the past few seasons.  
r813614_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=375&h=211

The reality is: "Texas ties" are still very-much-so important.

Hmmm...or what else could it be? Maybe it's the crazy amount of $$$ for NIL? 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Hmmm...or what else could it be? Maybe it's the crazy amount of $$$ for NIL? 

Hmmm... NIL Effective date was July 1, 2021.  Just over a year ago.  

SMU was recruiting the heck out of Southern Dallas County for much longer than that.   Do you not remember getting torched by Danny Gray, Reggie Roberson, & Roderick Daniels over the past few seasons?  How 'bout Tre Siggers deciding to leave UNT, only to be on SMU's roster about 1 week later?

SMU signed all of these dudes because of a person on their staff with "ties", not NIL money (pre 2021).

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pellom said:

90% of the work is done by search firms well in advance of the position being open. Wren will have a list of 5-7 candidates the search firm has determined fit our criteria and are also interested in the job. 

I don't think this is correct. Wren already knows the guys he wants to interview. The search firm just acts as an intermediary between the schools and the coaches' agent. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Hire Dino Babers after Syracuse fires him in a few weeks. Dude was great at small schools out in the armpits and anus of the US. Imagine what he could do in the DFdub. 

intriguing for sure, but he is off to a good start this year that might save him for one more year, God I miss the years McPherson and Paul Paq. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmmm... NIL Effective date was July 1, 2021.  Just over a year ago.  

SMU was recruiting the heck out of Southern Dallas County for much longer than that.   Do you not remember getting torched by Danny Gray, Reggie Roberson, & Roderick Daniels over the past few seasons?  How 'bout Tre Siggers deciding to leave UNT, only to be on SMU's roster about 1 week later?

SMU signed all of these dudes because of a person on their staff with "ties", not NIL money (pre 2021).

My mistake, I thought it had been in effect already.

I still think them winning and being in the AAC is a huge leg up in recruiting. The previous 2 years SMU went 10-3 and 7-3, meanwhile we were going 4-8 and 4-6 in that same time.  Plus I wouldn't put it past SMU to get started on NIL a little early if you know what I mean. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1

I sure SL will know if he is going before the end of the year.  Sure his agent is trying to get extension unless SL says don't bother.  I would guess they are discussing his future during the season.  That way SL can look for new job, maybe go Nick Sabins coaches 101 session.  Not sure if SL would do pool duty.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don't think this is correct. Wren already knows the guys he wants to interview. The search firm just acts as an intermediary between the schools and the coaches' agent. 

Wren may know what guys he is interested in but keep in mind, he will still have to post this position for a minimum of 30 business days as part of the state institution rules and regs.  I also believe you are required to interview a certain number of minority candidates as well.  Private schools don't have to do that which is an advantage in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

My mistake, I thought it had been in effect already.

I still think them winning and being in the AAC is a huge leg up in recruiting. The previous 2 years SMU went 10-3 and 7-3, meanwhile we were going 4-8 and 4-6 in that same time.  Plus I wouldn't put it past SMU to get started on NIL a little early if you know what I mean. 

Oh, no doubt things were sketchy down there pre-NIL.   But it was not a difficult door to get into when Coach Samples' boy is the one reaching out.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, no doubt things were sketchy down there pre-NIL.   But it was not a difficult door to get into when Coach Samples' boy is the one reaching out.

Here’s what I don’t get… why can’t we land a coach Samples?  I sometimes wonder if Littrell has a clue about recruiting at all!  And same for Wren Baker, if he doesn’t look for that recruiting knowledge and capability in the next coaching hire it amounts to dereliction  of duty!

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think you're right. I'm sure search firms could potentially have some names to share with Wren that they've heard could be interested. I think the main reason most AD's and coaches want to use search firms is to avoid freedom of information requests that could put their business out there in the news.

• Upvote 1