2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The reality is that a D-2 or FCS coach would love what UNT offers...any P5 guy who hasn't coached here before probably won't. Herman has only coached recently at places that are easy to recruit to. Fuente has only coached recently at places with way more resources than we will ever have. And as much as I want Gary Patterson and believe he would be an awesome hire here, he may not want to take on the albatross that this program's reputation has across the region.

Graham Harrell is the only P5 coordinator that I think would know the job ahead and still try it...I hope. He could be like Steve Kragthorpe back in the day that I wanted to replace Simon, but he had coached here and saw Craig Helwig up close and personal, as well as the lack of institutional care, so he made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with coming back here.

If we really, really wanted to make a giant splash--other than Gary Patterson--there is one name to money-whip that I believe we could get here now.

Deion Sanders

Memphis won five games combined the three years before Fuente was hired. Tune into to Memphis sports talk radio. It's September and Grizzlies basketball and Tiger basketball are as lively as talk of Tiger football.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

He will likely finish no higher than third in his division in what you deem an inferior conference but think he can contend in a superior conference?????

Bold of you to say they’ll finish third after how good they’ve been the last two years. And yeah, if he can make a great program out of Coastal, he damn sure can turn UNT around. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

And yeah, if he can make a great program out of Coastal, he damn sure can turn UNT around. 

He didn't make a great program out of Coastal. David Bennett built the program from scratch and had a 63-39 record there, then Moglia oversaw their next few years including the transition into FBS by going 56-22.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

He didn't make a great program out of Coastal. David Bennett built the program from scratch and had a 63-39 record there, then Moglia oversaw their next few years including the transition into FBS by going 56-22.

Chadwell is the one has turned them into a Sun Belt power with multiple top 25 appearances. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Chadwell is the one has turned them into a Sun Belt power with multiple top 25 appearances. 

Eh, he just kept a great program going, similar to Clark at App State. Both deserve credit for their accomplishments, but it's not the same as building a program or taking over a bad one and making it good.

We're talking about a Coastal Carolina program that started from nothing in 2003 and has an all-time record of 152-80.

Want to look at our record over the same timeframe, even if we cut out everything after he became the CC Head Coach in 2019, and see if it looks like he'd be taking over the same sort of program he did at Coastal?

I'm not even against Chadwell, I just don't think he should get all the credit for a program that was winning games from pretty much day one, and rarely skipped a beat. Same as I wouldn't give Clark all the credit for App State.

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

17 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Eh, he just kept a great program going, similar to Clark at App State. Both deserve credit for their accomplishments, but it's not the same as building a program or taking over a bad one and making it good.

We're talking about a Coastal Carolina program that started from nothing in 2003 and has an all-time record of 152-80.

Want to look at our record over the same timeframe, even if we cut out everything after he became the CC Head Coach in 2019, and see if it looks like he'd be taking over the same sort of program he did at Coastal?

I'm not even against Chadwell, I just don't think he should get all the credit for a program that was winning games from pretty much day one, and rarely skipped a beat. Same as I wouldn't give Clark all the credit for App State.

Fair enough. But they didn't just roll into the Sun Belt and start kicking ass. They were 13-23 their first 3 seasons. Since then they've been on an incredible 25-3 run. A coach who can elevate a program to a new level is what we're looking for and I don't think there are many realistic options who have done that better than Chadwell.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Texas roots aren't essential.  Gary Patterson was 38 before he lived in Texas. Matt Rhule didn't live in Texas until he was hired at Baylor. Mack Brown won a national title and first gig in Texas was at UT.

Hire good coaches, give them what the need to the extent of your checkbook and focus less on clicking off a magic box on a checklist. 

Someone should frame this post. This board has an obsession with the phrase "Texas ties." Is it a bonus? Yes, but it's not the be-all end-all for hiring a coach. Texas is a place like any other and good recruiters will build relationships and be successful. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Someone should frame this post. This board has an obsession with the phrase "Texas ties." Is it a bonus? Yes, but it's not the be-all end-all for hiring a coach. Texas is a place like any other and good recruiters will build relationships and be successful. 

Nice try, Green Otaku. You forgot to mention SMU.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

This is correct. Chadwell was hired to be head coach in waiting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:38 PM, Arkstfan said:

Texas roots aren't essential.  Gary Patterson was 38 before he lived in Texas. Matt Rhule didn't live in Texas until he was hired at Baylor. Mack Brown won a national title and first gig in Texas was at UT.

Hire good coaches, give them what the need to the extent of your checkbook and focus less on clicking off a magic box on a checklist. 

Great post.  Totally agree Texas ties are overplayed.

17 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Hell there are some guys on our defense that started at a D2 school! 

Who needs P5 transfers when you have the East by Southwest Rhode Island Technical School for the Blind

I have no problem with Mazin Richards coming here and playing. It's kind of bad that he beat out other DL here that had multiple FBS offers. He's averaging 5 tackles a game and does have 1.5 sacks on the year. 

The problem is the lack of overall talent on defense. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, Arkstfan said:

This is correct. Chadwell was hired to be head coach in waiting. 

Probably because he'd been a successful head coach at his previous stops. And he's continued to elevate Coastal to heights its never been. 

He's exactly the kind of coach we're looking for. It's probably a long shot to get him, but I make him say no to that massive raise we can offer him. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:31 PM, Arkstfan said:

Memphis won five games combined the three years before Fuente was hired. Tune into to Memphis sports talk radio. It's September and Grizzlies basketball and Tiger basketball are as lively as talk of Tiger football.

Speaking of... Does anyone know where he is now? I figured he would have been picked up as an assistant somewhere. His Twitter hasn't been updated since he left Virginia Tech.

• Upvote 1