2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

15 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

How about Deion Sanders.  Guy clearly can recruit.  

Deion is also recruiting to an HBCU with a message that wouldn't work at UNT. His entire recruiting strategy is centered around telling African-American athletes they can make HBCUs great. Very niche. It's working for him so far. Helps that his son is the quarterback and was a 4-star recruit with offers from Michigan, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida State, and more.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

How about Deion Sanders.  Guy clearly can recruit.  If you think Chad Morris would be a good candidate then you might as well considering bringing Dodge back. 

I think we missed the boat on this one.    If he wanted to get back to home and coach driving down the road from Prosper, then UNT is the place.   
But I think he'll just bide his time at JSU until an ACC school calls (preferably a scarlet/gold one).  Like you said, no one can argue with his recruiting. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Deion is also recruiting to an HBCU with a message that wouldn't work at UNT. His entire recruiting strategy is centered around telling African-American athletes they can make HBCUs great. Very niche. It's working for him so far. Helps that his son is the quarterback and was a 4-star recruit with offers from Michigan, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida State, and more.

If anyone could pull off the Shnellenberger-like angle of drawing a circle around Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, & Collin counties, and convincing kids to stay home to make North Texas great...  it's Deion.   Deion is not a 1-trick pony.  He's a smart dude with exceptional people skills.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If anyone could pull off the Shnellenberger-like angle of drawing a circle around Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, & Collin counties, and convincing kids to stay home to make North Texas great...  it's Deion.   Deion is not a 1-trick pony.  He's a smart dude with exceptional people skills.

I completely agree. He's a marketing machine. Always has been. I was merely pointing out the perfect storm of being at an HBCU which offers a very specific recruiting angle and he has the most important position covered with his 4-star QB recruit son. UNT obviously has the DFW angle to play off of, although nobody's really been able to do it. There's pride in HBCUs and he can really tap into that in a way he can't elsewhere even if every school offers certain recruiting benefits.

• Upvote 2

Hell yeah, Neon Deion on our sidelines wearing super bright electric green jogging suit and Versace glasses. NT would have so much national publicity with him here it would be insane. Maybe he can bring his son here and QB the team. I’d do it in a New York freakin’ minute. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I’m torn on Deion because of the reasons mentioned. Dude is a hell of a coach and hell of a recruiter. He would make a Day 1 splash and I bet we see a massive uptick in recruiting just from his name and reputation alone. At the same token, what he is doing is very niche for HBCUs that I question would work at our school. That being said, the guy has been winning at JSU and I don’t see why real quality players wouldn’t want to follow him to a higher challenge

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Hell yeah, Neon Deion on our sidelines wearing super bright electric green jogging suit and Versace glasses. NT would have so much national publicity with him here it would be insane. Maybe he can bring his son here and QB the team. I’d do it in a New York freakin’ minute. 

Yeah, it would absolutely be a statement and publicity hire. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A statement and publicity hire would be Art Briles or Hayden Fry's skeleton with a computerized brain.

Deion would be an excellent hire!

Yeah, fair. Didn’t mean it would be a bad thing. The moment it happens, we are plastered all over ESPN, etc which would be a great thing

• Upvote 2

I make a call to Jamey Chadwell and force him to turn down $2.5mill and a chance to coach in the best G5 conference.

Dude is only making $900K at Coastal Carolina 

EDIT: He made $600K in performance bonuses in 2021 for $1.4mill total. Still easy for us to more than double, IMO.

Edited by UNTcrazy727

Carthel did wonders at A&M Commerce but hasn't been near as successful at SFA. They got drilled by La Tech last Saturday. 

Skip Holtz should be considered. Won with a low budget and fair facilities at La Tech and most recently put 80 something guys together in a short time and won the USFL championship.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty said:

Carthel did wonders at A&M Commerce but hasn't been near as successful at SFA. They got drilled by La Tech last Saturday. 

Skip Holtz should be considered. Won with a low budget and fair facilities at La Tech and most recently put 80 something guys together in a short time and won the USFL championship.

Agree that Holtz deserves a second chance.  Just not at UNT.  We don’t need Techs sloppy seconds.   Carthel is being drove at SFA, so we can do better than him.

I do think we need a bounce back guy though.  Someone who has done it at not just the G5 level but AAC level G5.

12 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

We should try to get the strength and condition coach from ECU.  They were showing some of the players from the freshman to the senior year.  It like going from Pee wEE Herman to the hulk. I am not sure if our guy gets the same results.

We have a 5,000 sq ft S&C facility used by all sports. It would be nice to get it up to HS 6-A standards!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am not completely sold on Carthel.  I was also a fan of Keeler at Sam Houston, but the more I have though about this the more I am leaning towards someone else and they are already here, Patrick Cobbs.  Hear me out.

We have brought in successful HS coaches with little experience in Dodge and Parker.  We have gone the coordinator route from bigger programs with the likes of Nelson, Moore, Simon, Dickey and now Littrell and we tried the coach on the backend of their career in McCarney all with no sustained success.   

One thing we have never tried is someone that knows our university, knows and loves our program, wants to see it successful and wants to be a part of that.  Cobbs fits those requirements.  His position group is the best and deepest on the team and he has managed to keep that group happy while spreading the wealth.  He played for DD that required his best players to play special teams.  I remember games where Cobbs would run for 100+ and then turn around a block a punt or be busting his ass on coverage units.  He has NFL experience.  He played under a running system with a hard nosed coach and has coached under a few HC's and always represent our university well.  His love for North Texas matches ours and he wants to be here.

I know most people want a coach with some HC experience, so I did a little research on coaches that are currently successful that had zero HC experience prior to being head coaches and the list includes Dabo Swinney, P.J. Fleck, Ryan Day, Dave Aranda and Mike Gundy to name a few.  

I believe Cobbs would be a great representative of our program and university, has enough connections to surround himself with a great staff, and has connections to coaches in OK and TX for recruiting.

Just my two cents.

It's worth much more than 2c.  If he wants the job, I say give him a serious interview. He checks just about all my boxes. But the one I like the most is the "I've-lived-in-this-environment-and-I've-seen-why-other coaches-have-failed-here" box.  If I was on the hiring committee (and I would love to be) I would advise every applicant that I want to see their proposal/prospectus called "What I see as North Texas' biggest football program challenges, and how I plan to meet those challenges" before they come to an interview. 

• Upvote 2