2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This post aged like a rancid strawberry wine.

I think someone needs a statistics class when talking about SL having a "really good chance" to beat an OOC FBS team.

"Fun" fact: Since beating (brand new FBS) Liberty in 2018, Seth is 0-11 vs OOC FBS opponents. For his career, he is 5-18 vs such opponents.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

On 9/5/2022 at 10:20 AM, greenminer said:

IIRC, Carthel has been very vocal about his desire to be in Denton.  The dude seems 1) very passionate about winning, and 2) very passionate about helping UNT to do so.

That kind of hunger and love for the game....that's what I want in our locker room leading our athletes.  Speaking to our media.  Eating our Rudys BBQ.

The last line of this post is where I have an issue. “Our Rudy’s”. Just made me realize and wonder, “Why is there such a dearth of good bbq in Denton?”

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2022 at 7:34 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Poor Nebraska.   The 21st Century caught up to them and people realized Lincoln, Nebraska isn't really a place you want to go.  Those glory days are long gone, and I doubt they ever return.

Kinda, the biggest mistake they made was joining the big 10 because they lost their recruiting base in tx/ok/la. If you’re in the big 10 you’re recruiting from Ohio and Michigan, and they were never going to go in and beat out osu/um/msu in those states. 

• Upvote 6

On 9/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, Pellom said:

I think I’ve posted about it before, but I wrote for MTSU’s Rivals site for about a year and, fortunately enough, the coaching staff was willing to work with me and show me their recruiting process. 

Having very little knowledge of how things worked at this level beforehand, the #1 thing that stuck out to me is how much of recruiting is totally dependent on a coach’s relationship with high school staffs. It seems obvious to say it out loud, but there’s a layer to it that I wasn’t totally clear on before taking the role. 

1) at the G5 level, coaches rarely have the time to “discover” a great prospect. The P5 schools will always be first because they have dedicated positions solely for recruiting and watching tape. 
2) For the most part, G5 coaches are dependent on the high school coach to “tip them off” on a prospect the big schools are missing. I asked about one player specifically - MTSU was his only only offer to that point, so I was curious to know how they found him - “our offensive line coach has known the head coach at his high school for 30 years. He tipped us off.” That player eventually signed at South Carolina if I remember correctly, but it shows how the system works. 

I say all of this to put context on why I think Colby Carthel probably makes the most sense, especially in the context of how Jeff Traylor has built his roster at UTSA, how Joey McGuire know intends to build his roster at TTU, and why it seems Seth Littrell has been unable to recruit well after Graham Harrell left. 

Relationships with high school coaches in the state of Texas matter more than anything. And if you follow the logic that the lower you get down the football ladder, the more those relationships matter, it makes sense that Carthel and his staff in D2 and now FCS, would have been forced to cultivate those relationships for the past 10+ years. 

You basically just said exactly how we ended up with Mason Fine. His hc was a teammate of Littrell’s. 

You can’t say Seth has not recruited well since GH left because these have been the highest rated classes we’ve had.( lol) but Seth is from Oklahoma. It’s not like he’s from California and can’t relate to texas hs coaches. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

"Fun" fact: Since beating (brand new FBS) Liberty in 2018, Seth is 0-11 vs OOC FBS opponents. For his career, he is 5-18 vs such opponents.

This is all the more infuriating.  All the data pointed to him being a mediocre coach  who will never duplicate his success he had with Mason Fine falling in his lap.  And it is why he should have NEVER started this season as head coach.  A 5 game winning streak capped off my losing badly to a mediocre Miami of Ohio essentially at home doesn’t swing his career numbers above 0.500.   Like I said before bringing him bad was disrespectful to everyone who doesn’t view Seth as member of their family.  I don't care what you do at this point.  

Bring a 40 something successful highschool HC for 500k right NOW.   Let him bring 2 Coordinators with him but make them position coaches.  Retain the best recruiting coordinator from the current staff.   Spend the rest of the season trying to build relationships with current players with talent and eligibility left.  And build a coach recruiting board throughout the year forecasting what good assistance coaches not quite ready to be FBS coaches will be available.  Figure out if their coaching philosophy is in sync with the new head coach and make offers as soon as they are officially available.

But hell I will take Coach Canales at this point.  He might be able to get a QB here to throw 60% completions at least.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

5 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Kinda, the biggest mistake they made was joining the big 10 because they lost their recruiting base in tx/ok/la. If you’re in the big 10 you’re recruiting from Ohio and Michigan, and they were never going to go in and beat out osu/um/msu in those states. 

I don’t follow. They moved to a different conference and suddenly they can’t visit their previous HS connections? Help me understand. Sincere question. I don’t see how their old ties would stop talking to them because of a new conference affiliation. 

• Upvote 1

this article was on line BetMGM:

Seth Littrell – North Texas

Even if SMU proves to be an elite Group of Five team, North Texas’ blowout loss to their crosstown rivals was concerning, as was more recently a blowout loss to UNLV in Week 3.

Three years ago, Seth Littrell’s coaching stock was on fire. A 40-year-old former Oklahoma running back with 15 years of Power Five coaching experience and 18 wins in his last two seasons at North Texas, Littrell was a future Power Five head coach awaiting the right phone call.

And Littrell received the right phone call, or so he believed at the time, in December 2018 when Kansas State offered him the chance to replace Bill Snyder. What was widely regarded as a done deal fell apart at the last minute when Littrell withdrew from consideration.

Since that phone call, the Mean Green plummeted into national irrelevance and may have needed a late-season five-game winning streak to save Littrell’s job. And he might need more late-season magic to save his job in 2022.

Seth Littrell Buyout: Littrell’s five-year deal with an annual base salary of approximately $1.3 million runs through the 2023 season. If fired at the end of the 2022 season, he’d be owed less than $1 million.

Seth Littrell Replacement: The obvious candidate is Graham Harrell, the 36-year-old former Texas Tech quarterback whose three-year stint at North Texas as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator (2016-18) led to the same position at USC.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

Lets just get Mike Leach lol. He may be available if his team doesn’t do better than .500 this season and I full expect them to be at .500 or worse after yesterday’s performance vs LSU who is also bad. His weirdness would fit in perfectly at UNT

And no i don’t think this would ever happen despite it actually being a fun idea

• Upvote 2

Herman =no, Sumlin=no, Kendall Briles=no,  Belk’s defense in Houston has been terrible last 2 games against TT and KU so his stock is down.  

Harrell, Colby C, OC at App State

Herman Edwards is gone from Az State. They took care of their issue now rather than later.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1