2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would be more comfortable with a coach who was successful at G5 and might not have done well at a P5 than a Coach or coordinator from a P5 who had a massive budget but has never developed at a lower lever. Different strategies needed at each level.

I think you have to look at each coach's situation and go from there. Always like the story that Pat Fitzgerald (coach at Northwestern) told of how it was amazing that when he wins he is a great coach and when they have a poor season that he forgot how to coach or how then game has passed him by. He joked how he has had a career of forgetting how to coach and then learning how to coach and then forgetting ......

if we are intent on throwing money at a failed P5 then yes would rather have a Fuente or Brown who know how to win at a place with less resources, this what UNT will need if SL is ever let go, but not counting on it. Instead the AD will go throwing even more $$$ at a former P5 HC or Coordinate who only knows how to win at a place with tons of $$$.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Carthel still hasn't done anything at the FCS level. If he can turn in a 10 win season this year I'd be more intrigued but relationships or not, he's a .500 coach at the FCS level.

Kinda hard to justify that, especially to big money donors. We need a winner

7 of his losses were to teams that have 22 more scholarships to work with.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

43 minutes ago, untbowler said:

if we are intent on throwing money at a failed P5 then yes would rather have a Fuente or Brown who know how to win at a place with less resources, this what UNT will need if SL is ever let go, but not counting on it. Instead the AD will go throwing even more $$$ at a former P5 HC or Coordinate who only knows how to win at a place with tons of $$$.

I am not so sure that Wren would go that route.  In fact, I believe that Jason Fuente is high on his list because he knows him from when they were both at Memphis.  He might even work for a song right now since he has 7.5 million coming from Virginia Tech.  He's only 46 with seven years as a head coach; probably too young to think of retirement.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 2:16 PM, Pseudo Nym said:

Reading through the UT Coaching Staff ahead of the 'Bama game this weekend and any one of these four would be quality candidates for the HC opening next season...... I really wasn't even thinking about our new HC when looking at their bios but then it suddenly dawned on me that there's a huge list of potential candidates more than qualified that would fit the bill!

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

829831621_ScreenShot2022-09-06at2_12_56PM.png.c7e294b982af4eda09cfe540f1926adb.png

None of them are worth getting. They cant put together solid teams at Texas that can even get bowl eligible. Patterson is what will get Texas to a bowl game or better this year. Hire him or hire none of them..and you won’t be hiring Patterson

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Carthel still hasn't done anything at the FCS level. If he can turn in a 10 win season this year I'd be more intrigued but relationships or not, he's a .500 coach at the FCS level.

Kinda hard to justify that, especially to big money donors. We need a winner

Have you and the others who say no to him taken any time to see how he rebuilt TAMU-Commerce and what shape SFA was in when he arrived? He has shown he can build programs and from all indications he has a good reputation and relationship with Texas HS programs. He has an overall record of  70+ win and 36-38 losses. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Have you and the others who say no to him taken any time to see how he rebuilt TAMU-Commerce and what shape SFA was in when he arrived? He has shown he can build programs and from all indications he has a good reputation and relationship with Texas HS programs. He has an overall record of  70+ win and 36-38 losses. 

Exactly why i want him. Plus i have some friends i played HS football with that played for him at A&M Commerce and his staff recruited me some in HS. Always seemed like a good guy and a very good coach. He wants to win and seems to want to stay in Texas

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

None of them are worth getting (Not a fan of the six mentioned coaches). They cant put together solid teams at Texas that can even get bowl eligible (Reason for not hiring said coaches). Patterson is what will get Texas to a bowl game or better this year (Positive Patterson sentiment detected). Hire him (Hire Patterson - self evident posturing) or hire none of them (reinforces support for hiring Patterson?)..and you won’t be hiring Patterson (Hedging your bet against "Hire Him (Patterson?)?"

On one hand there's an advocating for hiring Patterson, including a positive sentiment for hiring Patterson and a reinforcement statement for hiring Patterson.  Yet the conclusion, which, no less is seemingly a statement-of-fact,  renders the advocating, sentiment, and reinforcement redundant.

Interesting take.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

On one hand there's an advocating for hiring Patterson, including a positive sentiment for hiring Patterson and a reinforcement statement for hiring Patterson.  Yet the conclusion, which, no less is seemingly a statement-of-fact,  renders the advocating, sentiment, and reinforcement redundant.

Interesting take.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

I love the effort put into this lol

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Mickey Joseph should probably be added to the candidate list. He’s already getting rave reviews about the culture change at Nebraska. 

He’s not going to get that job no matter what Feldman says, but we might be able to capitalize on the momentum. 

Interim coaches are typically way more popular than they should be

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

I would be more comfortable with a coach who was successful at G5 and might not have done well at a P5 than a Coach or coordinator from a P5 who had a massive budget but has never developed at a lower lever. Different strategies needed at each level.

I think our recent experience against Dykes and Holtz show this can be a good approach. Either Fuente or Brown would be a home run hire in my book. I feel like we need some name recognition.