2023 Head Coach Candidates

jtm0097

I'd do backflips to see Graham Harrell hired here. All I know is that people around the state know him and his name, he seems very capable of being an offensive-minded coach, and the only time I've seen us sustain winning in the last 20 years was under his offensive system.

But I have no idea if he wants to come here or not--he may have seen enough in his time here to know that he never wants to come back or he may look at it as a perfect way to climb the coaching ladder. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 6

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Man, I've heard nothing but the opposite regarding TXHSFB coaches.  They LOVE him.   Your other knocks on him are valid though.  I dunno if he'd want to take over NT right now.   ...but you definitely at least call him.

A lot of HS coaches do love him.  TCU had a lot of trouble pulling kids from power programs in DFW over the last 5+ years.  TCU's recruiting had gone much more national and they did a lot of their in state work outside of DFW and also had a pipeline into Louisiana.  The reason for that was Patterson's relationships with many of those coaches.  He wasn't out doing the relational work needed anymore.

He still had great relationships with some big coaches/programs around DFW and the state (John Kay at GP North Shore being a big one) but was failing to develop new relationships.  His biggest issue with DFW HS (and Dallas area in particular) was that he and Samples weren't exactly best buds.

One of the big benefits from the Dykes hire was the younger Samples came with him (even though it was brief with his departure to the Rams) and repaired the relationship between TCU and those Dallas area programs/coaches.

All that aside, I think the real issue is Gary wouldn't have the stomach/energy to tackle a total rebuild that needs to happen in Denton.  He can keep cashing checks as an analyst for as long as he wants.

• Upvote 3

If you knew more about Herman, you wouldn't be wanting him at UNT.  He won at UH with Tony Levine's players and players at UH hated him.  Even Ed Oliver was glad he left UH to go to Austin along with his DC who didn't coach much, just yelled all the time.  

Edited by BBA1989
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

Reading through the UT Coaching Staff ahead of the 'Bama game this weekend and any one of these four would be quality candidates for the HC opening next season...... I really wasn't even thinking about our new HC when looking at their bios but then it suddenly dawned on me that there's a huge list of potential candidates more than qualified that would fit the bill!

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

829831621_ScreenShot2022-09-06at2_12_56PM.png.c7e294b982af4eda09cfe540f1926adb.png

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Mine as well.  I watched that part of the game on tape and was surprised the announcers didn't bring this up.

He was dragged back every bit of 4 yards or more with 3-4 defenders on him....Not that this would of turned the tides of the game but we would at least put points on the board (maybe wishful thinking)

• Upvote 4

On 9/6/2022 at 1:42 PM, untjim1995 said:

I'd do backflips to see Graham Harrell hired here. All I know is that people around the state know him and his name, he seems very capable of being an offensive-minded coach, and the only time I've seen us sustain winning in the last 20 years was under his offensive system.

But I have no idea if he wants to come here or not--he may have seen enough in his time here to know that he never wants to come back or he may look at it as a perfect way to climb the coaching ladder. 

Graham may not be ready for a HC job.  But he’ll probably be looking as Brown could be out at WV this year.  

• Upvote 4

On 9/6/2022 at 1:48 PM, MrAlien said:

Is the university really willing to pay what it will take to get some of these coaches?  not to mention most of these guys will want to bring in their own staffs, and they are not cheap either. 

Every time we've paid out the ass for a guy it's a bust. Get some young talent, skip paying a premium, and try again.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

1. KC Keeler

2. Jeff Grimes

3. Colby Carthel

4. Kendall Briles

Those should easily be the top candidates for the HC position. Harrell might be an option as well but im not too interested in him as he did a poor job with the USC offense and another poor job with the WVU offense

Keeler is on a down year.  SHSU is terrible this year.  I’ve gone to their games the last couple of seasons, he doesn’t talk to his players on the sidelines either.  With their move to CUSA it will be interesting.  

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, BBA1989 said:

Keeler is on a down year.  SHSU is terrible this year.  I’ve gone to their games the last couple of seasons, he doesn’t talk to his players on the sidelines either.  With their move to CUSA it will be interesting.  

Id still be fine taking a chance on Keeler. Hes won every job hes had including 2 FCS Championships. 

And to be fair this season is pretty much pointless for SHSU as they can’t compete for a Championship (Conference or National) since they are moving up to FBS. Not making an excuse but i think that is a dumb rule

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2022 at 2:16 PM, Pseudo Nym said:

Reading through the UT Coaching Staff ahead of the 'Bama game this weekend and any one of these four would be quality candidates for the HC opening next season...... I really wasn't even thinking about our new HC when looking at their bios but then it suddenly dawned on me that there's a huge list of potential candidates more than qualified that would fit the bill!

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

829831621_ScreenShot2022-09-06at2_12_56PM.png.c7e294b982af4eda09cfe540f1926adb.png

Bo Davis intrigued me a lot.   Dude is a BEAST recruiter.  And that really should be our number one criteria.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Also I love Coach Choice but don’t think he’s quite ready.  That said like Bo he is a beastly recruiter as we know first hand from when he was here.

I like Bo! Clear communicator.... Coached (not an "analyst" or "quality control") for Saban where details matter most.... Keeps it real.... Unquestionable passion for the game....

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1